PDA

View Full Version : Interested in childminding so lots of questions

Tammy
08-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I am seriously thinking about childminding. I am booked to do the introductory course in March and I know that because I have a 2yr and 4yr old I can only have one other child under 5yrs old. I would be looking to have another child either full or part-time about Daniels age. I do have some questions so wonder if any childminders out there might be able to help.

1. Even though I am only allowed one child at the moment how does it work while Becky is at pre-school. Ie when she's at pre-school is she still counted as a child under 5 or could I have 2 children because she is at pre-school?

2. If I have a child beckys age and they go to pre-school part time and I have to take and pick them up do I get paid while they are at pre-school?

3. How do holidays work? ie me going on holiday and notice to be given to parents and vise verca. Also pay while on holiday or when they are on holiday?

4. If I decided to do after school pick ups is it right that I can have as many as I want over 8yrs?

5. If I do over 8yrs school pick ups what do you have to do with them when you pick them up? ie do you have to give them tea? With the little ones it obvious that you stimulate then daily like you do with your own kids ie. painting, playing etc etc... what about the older children? Do they do their homework, watch tv or do you need to find stimulating things for them to do as well?

6. If you are doing school pick ups and lets say you have them with you until 6pm can you get on and cook and feed your own family if you'd normally do that at 5pm? Obviously with younger children myself I wouldn't want them to wait until late to eat as they go to bed early.

7.What kind of hourly rates are people charging for childminders now?

8. If you go to something like softplay who pays for their entrance?

9. Am I right in thinking that you can ask parents to provide a packed lunch for their children? Is this best or is it best to feed them yourself? Do you then charge for meals or include it in hourly rates?

Sorry lots of questions and I've probably got lots more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

tia

SamD

sarah707
08-02-2008, 10:49 AM
I am seriously thinking about childminding. I am booked to do the introductory course in March and I know that because I have a 2yr and 4yr old I can only have one other child under 5yrs old. I would be looking to have another child either full or part-time about Daniels age. I do have some questions so wonder if any childminders out there might be able to help.

1. Even though I am only allowed one child at the moment how does it work while Becky is at pre-school. Ie when she's at pre-school is she still counted as a child under 5 or could I have 2 children because she is at pre-school?

You are still responsible for her, so no you cannot fill her place with another child

2. If I have a child beckys age and they go to pre-school part time and I have to take and pick them up do I get paid while they are at pre-school?

Some do, some don't - your business, up to you... normally yes if you are responsible for collecting in case of an emergency

3. How do holidays work? ie me going on holiday and notice to be given to parents and vise verca. Also pay while on holiday or when they are on holiday?

I do not charge when I am away - again, your business, your decision

4. If I decided to do after school pick ups is it right that I can have as many as I want over 8yrs?

You can only have over 8s if they do not impact on the care of under 8s... and only to the limit of your insurance - ask the insurance company you choose

5. If I do over 8yrs school pick ups what do you have to do with them when you pick them up? ie do you have to give them tea? With the little ones it obvious that you stimulate then daily like you do with your own kids ie. painting, playing etc etc... what about the older children? Do they do their homework, watch tv or do you need to find stimulating things for them to do as well?

A bit of both - ask them and parents what they want to do and work from that! I feed if they are here at meal times, again that's something you would decide with parents and taking their likes, dislikes, intolerences, individual needs etc into consideration

6. If you are doing school pick ups and lets say you have them with you until 6pm can you get on and cook and feed your own family if you'd normally do that at 5pm? Obviously with younger children myself I wouldn't want them to wait until late to eat as they go to bed early.

Of course! Your life, your business, your decision.

7.What kind of hourly rates are people charging for childminders now?

check your local CIS (Children's Information Service) and see what people around you are charging - it varies throughout the country

8. If you go to something like softplay who pays for their entrance?

That's for you to decide with parents - my parents pay entrance fees as that's what it says in their contract

9. Am I right in thinking that you can ask parents to provide a packed lunch for their children? Is this best or is it best to feed them yourself? Do you then charge for meals or include it in hourly rates?

Yes you can ask for that - you have to prove you are storing it properly. It's up to you what you do. If they bring packed lunches it is good practice to show you have encouraged healthy eating by providing leaflets etc

Sorry lots of questions and I've probably got lots more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

tia

SamD

Hope this helps :D