PDA

View Full Version : advice please

Polly2
20-04-2009, 03:28 PM
My daughter is doing g.c.s.e. childcare and for one assignment she has to think of something to make to encourage emotional development in a child.

Her idea was to make a book of rhymes and songs e.g. head, shoulders knees and toes etc.

Her reasoning was that this could help emotional development through confidence building (singing) and knowledge of body parts.

She went into school today and the teacher said she couldn't see how this could help child emotionally.

All the other kids had done was make flash cards of happy, sad, faces etc. - my daughter just wanted to do something a little diferent.

Was teacher right do you think - are we way off track here??

Or if not how can she explain in a way that makes sense?

What do you think?

hbomb1
20-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi Holly,

Cannot offer much help, but I wanted to add that I think your daughter's idea was good. Singing is great way of encouraging children emotionally and socially.

tulip0803
20-04-2009, 04:23 PM
We had a tutor like this on a course I did. We had to do a sensory activity and one of the women suggested different animal feeds and matching animals up to the feeds. She had trays of chicken food, horse food, pig food, sheep food, rabbit food etc and the children all dived in talking about how the foods felt, smelt, looked etc etc - apparntly this wasn't sensory:rolleyes: .

She wanted playdough and water activities:rolleyes: . I think sometimes the tutors are very narrow minded and want everything how it is written i the book - you can't show imagination:(

Hebs
20-04-2009, 04:26 PM
can she redo it??

how about a book with pictures of familier things for the child?

mum/dad playing with child
pics from holidays
pics with special people??
pics with pets

thats what i would class as emotional development??

probably wrong tho :laughing:

Mrs.L.C
20-04-2009, 04:49 PM
I think if you do the song 'if your happy and you know it clap your hands' and adjust it like many do now and do 'if your sad and you know it stamp your feet'
I think this would come under emotional development.

Also children do gain confidence when they know they can do something/when they learn something new so why should learning how to sing a new song be any different to learning how to do anything else and thats all part of emotional development

Polly2
20-04-2009, 05:00 PM
We like your idea Laura thanks!

She can redo it but has spent ages printing out songs. We could add that one though.

She needs to be able to explain how it helps emotionally though and I can't think how to put it into words.

Any ideas????

sarah707
20-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Children's emotional development is enhanced by their growing understanding of how they feel... and this is developed by us as the significant adults in their lives giving them the words to describe their feelings.

So for example a 2 year old will know he feels angry or sad because he needs to shout or tantrum but until we acknowledge this feeling, he will not be able to give it a name. That is why we say 'I know you are feeling sad / cross / frustrated etc and I would like to help you but I cannot help until you are calmer...' and things like that. What we do is automatic to support the child, we say it without thinking... but what we are doing is very valuable as we are giving the child security (it's ok to be upset) and the words to maybe describe the emotions next tims (sad, cross etc).

By singing songs and making up dances that depict emotions - happy, sad, cross etc - we are supporting children's growing independence and sense of self. We are helping them towards a sense of self maturity that allows them to be cross and gives them the words to express the crossness they feel.

Does that help? :D

sonia ann
20-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Children's emotional development is enhanced by their growing understanding of how they feel... and this is developed by us as the significant adults in their lives giving them the words to describe their feelings.

So for example a 2 year old will know he feels angry or sad because he needs to shout or tantrum but until we acknowledge this feeling, he will not be able to give it a name. That is why we say 'I know you are feeling sad / cross / frustrated etc and I would like to help you but I cannot help until you are calmer...' and things like that. What we do is automatic to support the child, we say it without thinking... but what we are doing is very valuable as we are giving the child security (it's ok to be upset) and the words to maybe describe the emotions next tims (sad, cross etc).

By singing songs and making up dances that depict emotions - happy, sad, cross etc - we are supporting children's growing independence and sense of self. We are helping them towards a sense of self maturity that allows them to be cross and gives them the words to express the crossness they feel.

Does that help? :D

wow Sarah you are good...wish I could express myself like you:clapping:

Hebs
20-04-2009, 06:20 PM
:laughing:

lets see the teacher get out of that one :thumbsup:

well done sarah

katickles
20-04-2009, 06:58 PM
:laughing:

lets see the teacher get out of that one :thumbsup:

well done sarah

Ditto from me to x

Polly2
20-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Sarah thank you!! You are so good with words xx

Ok so what songs could she use that depict emotions?

If your happy and you know it...etc

It isn't any trouble
Just to S-M-I-L-E
It isn't any trouble
Just to S-M-I-L-E
So smile when you're in trouble,
It will vanish like a bubble
If you'll only take the trouble
Just to S-M-I-L-E

Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf?

Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf?
The big, bad wolf.
The big, bad wolf.
Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf?
La, la, la, la, la.

Oh dear, I don't know what's happening.
(to the tune of "Oh, dear, what can the matter be?")
Johnny's so long in the bathroom.
Johnny's so long in the bathroom.

So we have covered happy, frightened, worried....any other ideas?