PDA

View Full Version : ruined childs top!

loocyloo
20-04-2009, 01:34 PM
one of my LOs came in a beautiful brodarie anglais white top ...

despite wearing a bib AND apron, she managed to get carrot soup over it :eek:

i took it off, soaked it a bit in water and bio, gave it a rub, rinsed it & put it on the line ... and now its gone yellowy orange! :ohdear: :eeeek:

just rang mum to confess and she was fine, said don't worry about it, (but she was on a call and so couldn't go into the ins and outs!) but i feel so dreadful!

put it in the machine now on a cool wash! think mum is going to have to dye it! thats what i would be doing! that or a major bleach session!

i so nearly took it off as soon as she arrived!!!

SimplyLucy
20-04-2009, 01:41 PM
I had the same problem with a strawberry and a mindee! Only problem was it was my fault because I forgot to put her bib on. :blush:

Fortunatly I had some vanish to hand and the mashed strawberry bright red juicy stains all came out. :phew:

I still had to confess as I had to send home a wet top, there wasn't time to dry it.

Don't stress about it, these things happen and if it was a special top the parent shouldn't have sent the child wearing it, if it wasn't carrot soup it would have been paint/mud/pen.

youarewhatyoueat
20-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Leave to dry in the sun it will help to bleach it, i'm sure she won't mind If a mum sends her child anywhere then surely they know not to send in best gear.I use old tshirts of my kids for bibs and painting etc. they cover more.
caroline

Mollymop
20-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Don't feel bad, after all you did everything you could to prevent it happening (a part from standing over the little girl with a baby wipe ready to catch any little spills.:rolleyes: )
Mum will probably think twice about dressing her in beautiful white tops.

I would fine about it too if I were mum.

I have one of my mindees tops and trousers on the line at the moment, she has Downs and eats very messily. I have a proper long sleeved apron for her to use but she still manages to get it all over her trousers. Then I gave her some choc birthday cake and that went all over her top and trousers. What a mess.
Wouldn't be that bad, it's just Dad always seems to comment on her clothes looking grubby when he comes to collect. "I was gonna go to Tescos but I won't now, cos look at the state of you!" was his last comment. He doesnt' say it jokingly either and it makes me quite cross. All I say is "Well kids will get dirty if they have spent most of the day at the park and in the garden, there's nothing wrong with it"

I try so hard to keep her clean, but it is impossible

So now Ihave her clothes on the line after washing them which was something I said I would never do when I first started minding:rolleyes:

balloon
20-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Wouldn't be that bad, it's just Dad always seems to comment on her clothes looking grubby when he comes to collect. "I was gonna go to Tescos but I won't now, cos look at the state of you!"

I'd ask dad for some spare clothing every day so the little one could wear clean home if he's that bothered!!! My parent's all seem to be happy if the kiddies are grubby cos "its shows they've had fun".

To OP, Thank goodness I haven't ruined anything other than a few bibs yet, although we've had tiny stains on things. If mum isn't worried then don't you worry either. The top may have cost 50p in a charity shop or been passed down through a whole family and still been beautiful...

Joannechildmind
20-04-2009, 03:52 PM
i would be sooooo happy if i collected my daughter and she was covered in paint, glue, mud, food, glitter, i would know shed had a wonderful time. i would just know not to send her in her best clothes. :)

Jo

FizzysFriends
20-04-2009, 05:18 PM
i would be sooooo happy if i collected my daughter and she was covered in paint, glue, mud, food, glitter, i would know shed had a wonderful time. i would just know not to send her in her best clothes. :)

Jo

I agree. If I collected DD from a CM and she was spotless I would be worried that she'd done nothing all day.

Allie
20-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I have a no new clothes here policy and explain to parents that even with aprons the children will get dirty with me as we don't sit watching TV we get out and about. Also all the children are encouraged to be independent feeding as early as possible so are going to get dirty

Allie

sophiestars
20-04-2009, 06:53 PM
I tell all of mine to bring spares whatever age because they are bound to get messy with either food, painting, outside etc however hard you try to keep them clean.

One of my parents who is so lovely said she was relieved that her daughter had a bit of strawberry juice on her top one day (she's so tiny her bib doesn't fit properly around her neck!!) because when she started bringing her she thought that I would think the worse of her for bringing her a bit grubby from breakfast/playing before she dropped her off! She said I don't even need to change her if I don't want to (I do though!!) because she just gets grubby again and all her clothes go into soak before she washes them.

I think most parents if they are sensible realise that children have an uncanny knack of getting dirty however well covered they are with aprons etc. I wouldn't be cross if my son came back from nursery with paint on him it's just the way it is, and like others have said at least it shows he's been busy!

Sophie x

ORKSIE
20-04-2009, 06:57 PM
I ask my parents not to put children into good clothes, because i dont want to feel bad if they get ruined. So if clothing gets mucky they have been warned!

jibberjitz
20-04-2009, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't worry about it - these things happen, I'm sure the mum understands :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
20-04-2009, 08:31 PM
I ask my parents not to put children into good clothes, because i dont want to feel bad if they get ruined. So if clothing gets mucky they have been warned!

That's just what I say :D :D :D

Twinkles
20-04-2009, 08:35 PM
I always tell parents I am not responsible enough to be trusted with new clothes. I hate to send a child home clean - it means not enough fun has been had !

mushpea
20-04-2009, 08:39 PM
i remeber picking my daughter up from nursery, she went everyday and everyday she came home coverd in paint, glue , mud and goodness knows what else, as far as i was conerned this meant she was having a good time, being allowed to relax and get involved in the actvities without bein told of for getting dirty.
i always tell parents never to send their kids in good cloths as they will always go home messy, i must confess that i never wash their cloths incase they are affected by my wash powder in some way. one little chap can be sick when he wants to be if he dosent like somthing or dosent want to do somthing but all cloths get bagged up and sent home yucky, poor mum, shes fine with though.

mum2two
20-04-2009, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't worry too much! I have one little boy, who;s only just started walking, , but not all the time. They are a very outdoors family, but sent him in some lovely cream trousers. I felt bad about letting him crawl around the garden getting caked in mud & grass stains, that I changed him in to an old pair of DS trousers.

When she collected, she said not to worry, They've been covered from their garden, and come up really clean. So now, like today, he's gone home with mud all over his trousers from crawling round the garden, and dirty bottom sleeves from playing with the water, grass & whatever else he could find!

I know the parents will be happy, and know that he's had a good time! :thumbsup:

Kelly x

her8y
20-04-2009, 09:20 PM

Jo

That is exactly what one of my mindees mum said. She also commented that she pretty much knows what her lo has done before readingthe daily diary!
I always remind parents that chidlren should arrive "ready to play" which always involves messy time.

loocyloo
20-04-2009, 09:31 PM
thanks everyone! parents did say it was fine!!!

i do ask that the children don't come in 'best' clothes, and i don't usually worry ... it was just such a pristine white top !!! (it isn't now! and years of experience tell me, it never will be pristine again!)

this same child has gone home with her white top in a bag, along with her trousers, and her spare trousers, as both sodden, muddy & sandy, and then tea all over her spare top! i've never sent her home in clean clothes yet!

i do feel a bit sorry all the parents who collected their afterschoolers today, who ALL ( incuding DS ) managed to get their school uniforms covered in mud looking for worms !!! and its the first day back this term! and lets not mention the green feet from running about the garden in bare feet !!! :D

xxx

Trouble
20-04-2009, 09:37 PM
thanks everyone! parents did say it was fine!!!

i do ask that the children don't come in 'best' clothes, and i don't usually worry ... it was just such a pristine white top !!! (it isn't now! and years of experience tell me, it never will be pristine again!)

this same child has gone home with her white top in a bag, along with her trousers, and her spare trousers, as both sodden, muddy & sandy, and then tea all over her spare top! i've never sent her home in clean clothes yet!

i do feel a bit sorry all the parents who collected their afterschoolers today, who ALL ( incuding DS ) managed to get their school uniforms covered in mud looking for worms !!! and its the first day back this term! and lets not mention the green feet from running about the garden in bare feet !!! :D

xxx
Sounds to me like everyone had an excellent day:D :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: