PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to work Fridays anymore

LittleStars
20-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I have decided that I don't want to work Fridays from July. I wan't a little 'me' time in term times and a little 'family' time in school holidays!

I have 2 families who use me on a friday. One is a casual contract with a SAHM on low hourly rate so I can offer her a choice to move days if she likes or will give her notice.. LO is due to start preschool in Sept anyway so would be drastically cutting hours.

The other family 2 is 2 children who also come on a mon and tue...I have already asked her last month if she would LIKE to swap her Fri to wed or thurs and she said no thanks she likes working on Fridays!! Grrr I know that if I tell her Im stopping working Fridays she may give me notice for all 3 days.. Luckily in this area its pretty easy to find work so if she gets the hump and leaves I would be able to replace them (although they are cute and a huge amount of my weekly income so would prefer to keep them).

My question is do you think it is unreasonable to do this?

I will be full up for 4 days and have a day off.....hopefully without losing anyone, any money or changing anyone from my current 5 days with a few gaps...

How much notice should I give to the parents?

Would it be unreasonable to tell family number 2 of my intentions by email...she has a knack of managing to get me to agree to ANYTHING without realising Im doing it when I speak to het face to face!!!! Happy to talk with family number 1 by face.

What do you think?

Jen x

hello kitty
20-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I have just done this from September. One is going to school and I will not take or collect and I have offered the other family alternative days and explained my reasons. No problem. I explained face to face as I have a good relationship with family and felt I could explain better. :)

marjie b
20-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Do u know what? Its your choice! In fact, fair play to you!!

If I could realistically cut out fri and afford to then I def would...

It sounds like you dont need to worry bout your families although i def wouldnt give notice via e mail, regardless of circumstances.

Four weeks is plenty of notice for them to find a suitable replacement if they feel its necessary.

Good luck hun, if u can afford it and it makes u happy go for it!! xx

youarewhatyoueat
20-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Can you not give up a weds or thurs or would you upset another family? it's impossible to please everyone,do what suits you best.I don't mind children on thurs and fri but clean holiday cottages instead,so much for a day off!
Caroline

huggableshelly
20-04-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm doing this too ... as from July i will not be working weds once school run is done which will not effect any children in my care as those who attend on a wed are swapping days soon.

its your buisness you work when you want too so make your decissions to suit yourself. Parents can either work around you or as you have said find elsewhere.

I chose Wed's off as it fits in with my children's swim club times though would love fridays off too lol ... heck I may aswell quit woohoo but cant as I adore the children in my care.

but your buisness your choice!

yummymummy
20-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't work Thur or Fri but luckily this happened naturally and I now will only take on new children Mon Tue Wed. I would say to you especially if mindees are easy to find in your area go for it! If the parent had a change of circumstance or didn't require care they would have no hesitation in giving you notice. I have turned myself inside out trying to oblige and not let down families to only then have them mess me around, not be honest about their intentions i.e only to work for 3 months after maternity leave and say bye bye. I have learned the hard way to be a bit harder and put my family first although I am not as tough as I should be and still have parents trying to make me feel guilty about what is their problem!
I think I would put a letter in the childs bag if you can't face talking to the lady but make her aware it is in there so she can't deny receiving it!

mushpea
20-04-2009, 01:10 PM
I dont work fridays, not through choice but because i am not needed by the familes i work for, I am full for under 5's on the other days so luckily i get enough income from this. spetemnber will be different as i am taking on another child but whatever happens i will only have one baby or one 2yrold on the friday depending on how things work out. I love having fridays off because it means that i can do all the paperwork then spend the weekends with my kids
it really is up to you and if you think you can replace those that may leave anyway then go for it.

atmkids
20-04-2009, 08:45 PM
I work my business so that I have two hours off every afternoon. I have before and after school children and three under fives in the mornings. This gives me a bit of me time everyday whether it's to do the shopping, ironing or just watch telly. I like this set up so much that I decided when two of my under 5's start school in September I will only take on children in the mornings who I then take to nursery at lunchtime. Guess what - I stuck to my guns and already have 2 more children (contracts signed) waiting to start in September. :D
Nikki

Helen79
20-04-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm doing the same, I have letter to give to parent's tomorrow to drop Fridays giving 2 weeks notice. I also have wed & thurs mornings off but am happy to fill those hours if they're needed.

I've put in my letter that on a week that has bank holiday Mondays I'm happy to work Fridays instead of the bank holiday to compensate.

Hope it works out for you. I'm dreading telling the parents tomorrow but I'm relieved I've decided to do it.
I only want to work part time while my own children are young so I've been feeling guilty recently that I've ended up working full time (for only a part time wage)

her8y
20-04-2009, 09:15 PM
I gave notice to two families explaining my reasons why I needed a non working day each week. I told them face to face and put it in writing giving plenty of notice when we did contract reviews. Both families were understanding but I did lose one family but htere were no hard feelings and I am still in contact with them.

I really feel my work/homelife balance has been restored. The thinking about telling parents was much worse than actually telling them.

Good Luck:thumbsup:

wendywu
20-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Take the word " Fridays " out of the thread title and you have me to a T :laughing: