PDA

View Full Version : House Rules

nokidshere
19-04-2009, 09:36 PM
I am aghast at the number of house rules some childminders have :eek:

What are your house rules and who sets them?

peanuts
19-04-2009, 09:48 PM
i sat the kids down at the table to do this task, our house rules had stayed the same for a while before then, the children decided that although most of these rules applied to them they thought it was a good idea to have house rules for school age children as well. i gave each child a copy of my house rules and asked them to think what they would like to take away or add that concerned them. we had a great discussion on it. it looks like a lot but most is just common sense written down. eg use indoor voice, mind my manners, sharing is caring ect

Chatterbox Childcare
19-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Ours aren't so much House rules but rules we live by

We must be nice to others, no biting, kicking etc
No lieing
Shoes off indoors

that sort of thing

Chatterbox Childcare
19-04-2009, 09:51 PM
2 other things are:

whatever happens today, stays in today - no grudges

and most important

EVERYONE MUST HAVE FUN :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

Daftbat
20-04-2009, 05:26 AM
I don't thave lots of rules just the basics, no running in the house, shoes off, respect for people and their belongings, sharing toys, no bad language or bad manners.

huggableshelly
20-04-2009, 05:56 AM
mine need updating to remove the negatives but they were written by the children and me so until we all sit together again these are what we have in place, some are more personal to certain children.

Always be kind and helpful

Please do not hit or push or shout at anyone

Always play nice games

Please do not pretend to hurt or shoot anyone

Always help with tidying up

Please do not throw toys, books, or shoes

Please do not run inside the house

If someone is upset give them a hug to make them feel better

Please do not go upstairs

Always remember to flush the toilet and wash your hands

Please do not climb or jump on the furniture

Children are not allowed to open the front door

Always have fun and be happy

Roseolivia
20-04-2009, 06:42 AM
Be nice to each other, no hitting etc..
No running (wood floors can be slippy)
No climbing on the furniture
No shoes in house

mayberry
20-04-2009, 06:44 AM
I don't have lots of rules just the basics, children help set them

Dawn xx

ajs
20-04-2009, 07:08 AM
why nokidshere how many do you have
and why aghast surely everyone runs their home/ business as they see fit

loocyloo
20-04-2009, 08:07 AM
we seem to have hundreds!

we sat down after school and the children all said what they wanted ... if i had everything they said, i would have a couple of pages worth! managed to condense into the 'basics'

be kind, treat others as you would like to be treated, no shoes in house, balls only in the garden, try new things(!), be polite, share, etc!

xx

nokidshere
20-04-2009, 09:32 AM
why nokidshere how many do you have

Not many here:

Try to be nice to each other
Try not to fight
Try to remember your manners

Thats it really - oh one more really important one - "I am the boss and I get final say" :D

I was aghast listening to two minding friends talk about theirs - one has 25 rules!!! for 1-3 year olds? I just thought that was pretty excessive - no?

And the other has fewer but they are so long winded in order to cover everything that no-one can remember the beginning of the sentance before they get to the end LOL

Maybe its me? My whole philosophy about childminding is to keep everything as simple and basic as possible.

nokidshere
20-04-2009, 09:36 AM

I don't have any real issues with how anyone else runs their own business, as long as the children are happy and safe - well actually, to be honest I couldn't care less ;)

But I do sometimes think that people make life far more complicated than it really needs to be :D

sarah707
20-04-2009, 11:37 AM
After a course on behaviour management some years ago I completely revamped our rules.

The children wrote them and we worked together on making them positive.

We walk in the house / we sit at the table when we eat or drink / we are kind to everyone... that sort of thing.

We have one set for the house and different ones for the garden and I reinforce them through repetition.

Also the tutor (Bev Amison training) said it wasn't good news to call them rules any more... so they are now 'behaviour goals' which we work towards together rather than authoritarian things I project on the children.

:D

tulip0803
20-04-2009, 11:43 AM
I tried to go for the not too many route:D and not too negative:) .

~~~

We will not say or do anything that is hurtful, offensive or dangerous to someone else.

We will all respect other people’s things and we will not damage them.

We will all care about and look after each other.

Whilst in Julia’s care we will listen to and respect what she tells us.

~~~

The last one means "Do as I say!" politely:laughing: