PDA

View Full Version : after school

estrelas
19-04-2009, 08:53 PM
ok i done a week of schooltime, then had two weeks full time with holiday kids.

I haven't really planned much for after school, as we started alot through the hols, planting seeds etc, which will be carried on through the weeks.

How much planning do you do for after school?
Do you do a weekly thing or more free play?

Tomorrow i have 5 after school:eek: ,so thinking of maybe doing a planned activity that can cover age three to 8, maybe a craft thing

Zoomie
19-04-2009, 09:11 PM
I haven't started minding yet, but have a toddler and two school aged children of my own, and I know my elder two are knackered at the end of the day and just want to chill and relax. Unless you know that the children will want to do planned activities, I would give it a miss and then them do a bit of free play.

HTHs

nokidshere
19-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I only mind a 2 year old during the day but then have between 5-8 older ones after school.

To be honest, by the time we pick up the older ones she is already all played out and is happy to leave me and spend some time with them just playing.

I do not plan any activities for the after schoolers since they have been "regimented" all day at school and the smaller ones are really tired. We do what most gorwn ups do after work....

we get home, kick off our shoes and slob in front of the tv for half an hour or so till we get a second wind, then they all find something to do, (or not in the case of the 12 year old) whilst I prepare dinner. Then they eat and go home :D

Chatterbox Childcare
19-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I find that whatever is out from the little ones is pounced upon by the girls but the boys just are not interested. I give them free reign in the term time and structure play a bit more in the hols - i.e. we go out everyday even just for a walk, bikes, scooters etc and use the parks a lot.

Daftbat
20-04-2009, 05:29 AM
i don't do structured things for after schoolers. They are all aware of the resources i have and have free access to them but they are all ready for a chnage after they have been in a classroom all day and normally they either want to play outside if the weather is nice or watch tv etc.

huggableshelly
20-04-2009, 05:51 AM
I have an afterschool activities list that includes all toys, outings to the park or adventure playground and craft with nothing specified for different times or days as found it hard to stick too.

whatever craft I do with little ones throughout the day gets left out for the afterschoolers some do it others do not but the choice is theirs.

I found structuring afterschool activities was difficult especially if the weather was against me or a child had a bad day in school and needed a little more attention. So allowing the children to always choose has worked out better for me, I find the children plan in the car as we drive too as to what they would like to do when we get home.

Roseolivia
20-04-2009, 06:44 AM
We do whatever after school as only have 1. He'd rather play on the computer or when it's nice play in the garden. Sometimes he wants to do craft activities but i don't plan these he usually asks.

Mollymop
20-04-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't really plan for after schoolers, they just do whatever they want really (freeplay) after their busy day at school I just let them chill out which the parents want.

estrelas
20-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks for reeplies :)