PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm - potential prob?

Pudding Girl
19-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I ran into a prospective parent las tnight at Abba Night. Someone else in my group took me aside after and said Are you really going to be looking after HER child? with big raised eyebrows.

We've not signed contracts and although she looks a little rough seemed nice enough - am worried now!

She's been with another CM which for whatever reason she left and had another lined up for next week who then pulled out yesterday and so came to me.

Also when I had her call, another CM friend phoned me and said oh if that's the one XYZ were going to take on, then I would avoid. But I don't know if it's her or not.

What to do?! She's coming tmrw afternoon.

loocyloo
19-04-2009, 11:45 AM
good luck!

only you can decide...it might be that you are just the right minder for this child & family.

i took on a before and after schooler, who had been through several childminders :eek: a couple of whom warned me off! another said he was ok, just a huge handful, looking for trouble and hadn't settled with her current mix of children. i took him on, and he was with me for 3 years! yes he was a handful, but a nice boy, and we all miss him now he has moved schools, esp my DD, who has known him as long as she can remember!

can you find out from mum her reasons for moving minders?

xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
19-04-2009, 11:51 AM
All I can say is "give this family a chance and judge them yourself".

I have had the same response from people before and have had no problems.

Start with a blank sheet, otherwise what chance have they got?

oneofeach
19-04-2009, 11:54 AM
I agree, judge for yourself.

But to be on the safe side make it clear you have a settling in policy.

Good luck with whatever you decie

ajs
19-04-2009, 12:00 PM
i totally agree with loocyloo i took on two children in september but really didn't gell with them they have gone to a new minder who i know very well and i avoided warning her about them for exactly the reasons stated.
just because i didn't get on with them doesn't mean any other childminder would have the same problems.

i would make sure you have a tight settling in procedure though just in case

i think it was debbie who said start with a blank sheet and give them a chance

ORKSIE
19-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I totally agree, children and adults alike dont always gel.
So yes, give the child a chance, you never know till you try.
If it dont work then at least you can say you tried.

sarahstanbridge
19-04-2009, 12:46 PM
make up your own mind.
i took on a child a couple of years ago who was a nightmare. i know of him as he was in my sons class aand i knew his reputation. he was with me for only 3 months as i just could not cope with him and it nearly gave my son a mini breakdown having him in our home. he then moved onto another childminder who lasted 6 months but again just didnt settle in but has now settled with his new childminder with no problems. your setting may be right for this child.

sonia ann
19-04-2009, 01:15 PM
All I can say is "give this family a chance and judge them yourself".

I have had the same response from people before and have had no problems.

Start with a blank sheet, otherwise what chance have they got?

I agree with Debbie wait and see and judge for yourself.

Every one is different.....i took on two after schoolers from my friend who recently gave up childminding, she loved having both of them and thought they were lovely children, however I am finding it hard to take to the little boy, nothing specific, and he is not difficult but it is there, sometimes i feel guilty that I dont look forward to having him as much as some of the others. :blush: On the other hand I took on a little boy who I was told "was a bit of a handful!!!" and we got on from day one:)
wait and see and trust your instincts

Spangles
19-04-2009, 02:43 PM
I agree with everyone else. Just meet with her and the children and see how you feel. Ask her about why she's looking for a new childminder and see what she says.

Seems strange that your friend said something but didn't back it up with any other information.

Let us know how your meeting goes.

x

Alibali
19-04-2009, 03:40 PM
I've always said that what suits one person doesn't suit another, there are the right childminders for the right families. You may be perfect for each other. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Good luck, hope it goes well. Trust your own judgement, not anyone elses.

Twinkles
19-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Whilst I'm all for giving the children a clean slate to start from ,I would find out if the problem was with the children or the parent ?
If it is the child's behaviour then yes of course not everyone gells and your setting may be just what they need.
If , however, it is the parent being unreasonable, or not paying I would be very cautious as her behaviour is unlikely to be different with you.

jibberjitz
19-04-2009, 07:14 PM
I would see how you get on tomorrow and make your own judgment call, you might find everything is ok :thumbsup:

TheBTeam
19-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Same as the rest, but just make sure you have a reasonable settling in period that you can get out with no notice.

Get money up front/take deposit and clearly state late collection, late payment fees, and that you require money or will give immediate notice, don't have too long a notice period either!

That way you can buy the time to try it and see.

I personally made a judgement about a mum based on what i thought she sounded like and her family situation and in reality i could not have been more wrong, she is one of my nicest parents and pays readily and happily.

Pudding Girl
19-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Friend couldn't say much as the PP was there in earshot! She just texted me and says she only knows OF her and that the oH's family all think she trapped him into the baby and is a moneygrabber.

Which is none of my concern and I'm rather annoyed with friend over something so trivial and for giving me the wobblies now!!! Thought she was going to say she was a druggie or a criminal or something :mad:

I've had parents who look rough as muck who are brilliant and parents who are middleclass and respectable be awful with money etc - you can't tell.

I have settling in and trial period and of course contracts to reflect that so I have no worries really. If we don't fit it'll get ended, if we do, fine :D

Assuming we sign that is, we all know it's only half the battle getting them to show up ;)

Demonjill
19-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Good luck and im sure you will be able to judge for yourself when you have a chat. :thumbsup: