PDA

View Full Version : Trampolines again

singlewiththree
18-04-2009, 01:59 PM
OK my trampoline warning says no children under 6 years.

My DD's who are 2 and 3 years go on together. Thats ok they are my children.

However in Sept I'm going to be having a 4yr old boy. Am I supposed to be mean and say he can't go on the trampoline?

Hebs
18-04-2009, 02:01 PM
yes thats right, to be covered by your insurance you have to follow manufactures guidelines.

argos do a cheap on for the under 6's :thumbsup:

singlewiththree
18-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Okay will have to tell my 2 they can't go on when mindees are here. I thought being a childminder was supposed to be good for your kids. All I seem to say to mine is no you can't have or can't do as X is here today. :angry:

I have a small trampoline that they could use but they just want to be on the big one.

nokidshere
18-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Well personally I don't think anyone should have trampolines in the garden anyway.

But its not really about being mean, its about being safe. Are you going to have the 4 year old all day, every day?

Hebs
18-04-2009, 02:28 PM
i have a trampoline with safety enclosure for mindees aged 3 to 6 years

and a 13ft one for over 6's, but it's too big for my garden so looking for an 8 ft one :thumbsup:

mushpea
we have a trampoline but my two no it only comes out weekends which means they use it more because its not there all the time for them to get bored with, my two also have certain toys that only come down at the weekend ie lego which also amuses them more as its not out all the time so it can be a good thing. also i tell them that the item is their special toy sperate to the mindees which they appriciate because they do have to share a lot of their stuff so its nice when somthing is just thiers.

westbrom44
My daughter goes to trampolining lessons and she is 13. She keeps asking for a trampoline, but I am not happy for her to get one. If she did have one it would have to be one with sides on. She would also need another person there just incase anything happened.

A boy who is also 13 broke his arm in 3 places in her lesson recently. It was quite awful! That was with 2 trained coaches there!

I wouldnt think it at all suitable to let a four year old go on a trampoline designed for over 6's.

mandy moo
18-04-2009, 02:55 PM
We have a 12ft trampoline with net enclosure, My two boys are 7 & 10 and I keep a close eye on them when they're on there. They are not allowed to anything more than bounce.
They also went on a course (A friend of a friend who is a trampoline instructor) a couple of years ago on how to use it properly/sensibly.

When I registered, I specificaly asked the inspector to put on my registration that minded children were not allowed on it, simply because of the risks.
None of my parents have problems with that, not after ive outlined the risks to them. Their childs saftey comes 1st after all.

singlewiththree
18-04-2009, 03:45 PM
I can't see how they can hurt themselves with the cage on and zipped up as they don't jump high. Maybe I just can't see the danger but no mindees will go on it.

westbrom44
18-04-2009, 04:32 PM
The child who broke his arm in three places recently was bouncing up and down and somehow lost his footing. He then put his arms out to save himself and landed on his arm which was all twisted around completely the other way with the bone sticking out. He was only warming up. Sorry it was absolutely awful!

louised
18-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Mindees over the age of 6 are allowed on mine with written permission from parents, they all have their own at home so are used to them

Chatterbox Childcare
18-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Well personally I don't think anyone should have trampolines in the garden anyway.

But its not really about being mean, its about being safe. Are you going to have the 4 year old all day, every day?

What reasoning to you have behind this comment? I have one which is fully enclosed and supervised, I have parental permission, insurance and the kids love it.

I would say let yours go on the trampoline and let the 4 year old use the other one.

aly
18-04-2009, 05:01 PM
I can't see how they can hurt themselves with the cage on and zipped up as they don't jump high. Maybe I just can't see the danger but no mindees will go on it.

This is how
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/7131/poppy1.jpg

My daughter fell awkwardly into the net, she has had the cast 2 weeks now :panic:

Hebs
18-04-2009, 05:04 PM
how old is she?

aly
18-04-2009, 05:08 PM
she will be 2 in august...so yes she shouldn;t have been on there but we were all on there lyign down watching the clouds go by when I needed the loo :panic::panic:

Hebs
18-04-2009, 05:09 PM
awww bless her.

maybe i shouldn't say that my 8 year old son JUMPS off his granda's shed onto our trampoline :o

her8y
18-04-2009, 05:27 PM
I have one which is fully enclosed and supervised, I have parental permission, insurance and the kids love it.

I would say let yours go on the trampoline and let the 4 year old use the other one.

I agree. I know there are lots of accidents on trampolines but the benefits of being outside in the fresh air and exercise are there too.

I too have insurance, make sure the netting is zipped up, supervise one at a time, parental permission and asked the children help with the trampoline rules which are laminated and attached to the trampoline. parents all happy and understand the risk and have even been on there. Ofsted inspector happy as long as(dare I say it) a risk assessment/assessment of risk has been carried out.

My daughter broke her arm falling off her bike?!?. My niece (10) broke her leg falling off the settee!!!!! (at her own home not mine:D )

aly
18-04-2009, 05:51 PM
awww bless her.

maybe i shouldn't say that my 8 year old son JUMPS off his granda's shed onto our trampoline :o
ha ha that is funny...

My niece (10) broke her leg falling off the settee!!!!!

omg off the settee?? kids are funny aren't they

SimplyLucy
18-04-2009, 05:58 PM
:panic: I spent yesterday afternoon/evening in the emergency department with my 9 year old daughter thanks to the trampoline.

She was bouncing and landed badly twisting her ankle. They don't think it's broken but it's too swollen to tell, she has crutches and I'm putting loads of ice on it to get the swelling down for more X-rays on Monday.

She was a bridesmaid today, a very sad bridesmaid, in a lot of pain and wearing 1 beautiful shoe and a croc!

My trampoline will be going to the TIP next weekend. My son dislocated his collar bone on it last summer when he was 9 too. Thank goodness it was my children and not the childminding ones. :panic:

nokidshere
18-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Trampolines are supposed to be supervised items of equipment. *Most* parents do not stay even in the garden with their children when they are on them, they do not enforce the rule of only one child at a time rule and, as many people have already said, children aged under 6 are frequently on them when the instructions quite clearly state that they shouldn't be.

Apart from all that - I used to trampoline for Lancashire (way back in my youth). Its not about how high you are jumping or wether you are enclosed in or not. Its about the way you bounce and land - and a small child cannot - and will not - remember the rules of safety when bouncing.

Also, people place trampolines in the most unsuitable of places in the garden with little thought for the other factors that are involved in the risk.

Given the converstaion about risk assessments yesterday, I am surprised that so many people are so blase about them and don't see how potentially dangerous they can be.

her8y
18-04-2009, 06:02 PM
:panic: I spent yesterday afternoon/evening in the emergency department with my 9 year old daughter thanks to the trampoline.

She was bouncing and landing twisting her ankle. They don't think it's broken but it's too swollen to tell, she has crutched and I'm putting loads of ice on it to get the swelling down for more X-rays on Monday.

She was a bridesmaid today, a very sad bridesmaid, in a lot of pain and wearing 1 beautiful shoe and a croc!

My trampoline will be going to the TIP next weekend. My son dislocated his collar bone on it last summer when he was 9 too. Thank goodness it was my children and not the childminding ones. :panic:

Aww poor love. I hope she feels better and happier soon:thumbsup:

Blackhorse
18-04-2009, 08:30 PM
i have to say that I wouldn't ever have a trampoline in my garden. There are too many bad things happening with them. I know that things can happen anywhere and with any type of equipement, but I was on a childminding course with a woman who worked in A+E and she said that they have so many admissions purely due to the trampolines... She said even the one's with the enclosed netting can be very dangerous.

I think there are many things that kids can do outside and being active without having a trampoline...I think I wouldn't have a calm minute if one were in my garden

TheBTeam
18-04-2009, 08:41 PM
After seeing my son with a 3 1/2 inch round hole in his leg from standing on a fallen tree branch and when he fell another bit ripped a hole in his leg, i think you can not wrap children in cotton wool and you have to let them do things even with some degree of risk. I am now scared everytime we even walk in the woods, but i have to let him go and do things.

My son was a foot and a half off the ground and this happened, my friends daughter broke her elbow needing pins on a trampoline, my niece fell back off of a low swing onto a safety surface and broke her arm, my nephew used monkey bars breaking two bones in his wrist!!

I fell out of the front door and broke my foot, my point is that you can have an accident walking down the street, just putting one foot in front of the other and yes i broke my foot then too!

As nasty as accidents are we have to do things, i have known people fall 10 foot out of a tree and do nothing, fall head first off of a trampoline and do nothing!

We have to do something and as long as we follow the age/safety guidelines and have the permission of any parents/understanding of risk, then we have to be able to make our own mind up.

I personally don't want a trampoline, cos as much as i would love one, i don't want to be responsible for other peoples children on it or have to deal with my own two kids arguing over it, it is easier and less hassle to not bother!!!!!!!

Blackhorse
18-04-2009, 08:46 PM
After seeing my son with a 3 1/2 inch round hole in his leg from standing on fallen smooth tree branch and when he fell another bit ripped a hole in his leg, i think you can not wrap children in cotton wool and you have to let them do things even with some degree of risk.

My son was a foot and a half of the ground and this happened, my friends daughter broke her elbow needing pins on a trampoline, my niece fell back off of a low swing onto a safety surface and broke her arm, my nephew used monkey bars breaking two bones in his wrist!!

I fell out of the front door and broke my foot, my point is that you can have an accident walking down the street, just putting one foot in front of the other and yes i broke my foot then too!

As nasty as accidents are we have to do things, i have known people fall 10 foot out of a tree and do nothing, fall head first off of a trampoline and do nothing!

We have to do something and as long as we follow the age/safety guidelines and have the permission of any parents/understanding of risk, then we have to be able to make our own mind up.

I personally don't want a trampoline, cos as much as i would love one, i don't want to be responsible for other peoples children on it or have to deal with my own two kids arguing over it, it is easier and less hassle to not bother!!!!!!!

I completely agree with what you are saying and I had quite a few injuries and broken bones myself over the years...falling when skiing, off a horse, of a swing..the list is endless...but what I was trying to say was that there are some things that seem to have a lot of accidents happening which is what the nurse from A+E told me about the trampolines..it was something on the lines of half the kids in A+E in the summer came to them because of trampolines...which in my books is too high a risk, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't let my dd or mindees do other things

TheBTeam
18-04-2009, 08:51 PM
I completely agree with what you are saying and I had quite a few injuries and broken bones myself over the years...falling when skiing, off a horse, of a swing..the list is endless...but what I was trying to say was that there are some things that seem to have a lot of accidents happening which is what the nurse from A+E told me about the trampolines..it was something on the lines of half the kids in A+E in the summer came to them because of trampolines...which in my books is too high a risk, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't let my dd or mindees do other things

Again i see what you are saying and i don't have one because i know my heart would be in my mouth the hole time, but i bet if you knew the number of children on trampolines for hours on end the actual number of accidents is only likely to be in proportion to most other accidents.

I personally have become terrified of toddlers on settees, which reminded me after reading the post above, of a cm friends charge who got of the settee, put leg down as he went and ended up with a spiral fracture of his leg. Now my little ones are not allowed to get on my sofa.

I need lots of cotton wool and bubble wrap, but i guess that they would choke or over heat with that so nothing is truly safe.:laughing: :laughing:

venus89
18-04-2009, 08:55 PM
We were talking about trampolines at my course today, funnily enough, and one of the minders said that she had all the safety equipment and then one of her mindees managed to slip while landing and got his knee caught in the spring. She likened it to being mauled by a dog...... :panic:

Blackhorse
18-04-2009, 08:56 PM
You know one of the things that actually worries me at the moment is the responsibility for the mindees safety (I haven't started yet) ....you know what your own kids are capable off (or so I hope) and you know which risks you want to take and which one's you don't.
I am actually terrified of taking my future mindees for the first time to a playground...I guess you get used to that with experience etc, but I am sure on that day no GP would be pleased with my heartrate...:( iyswim

venus89
18-04-2009, 08:59 PM
You know one of the things that actually worries me at the moment is the responsibility for the mindees safety (I haven't started yet) ....you know what your own kids are capable off (or so I hope) and you know which risks you want to take and which one's you don't.
I am actually terrified of taking my future mindees for the first time to a playground...I guess you get used to that with experience etc, but I am sure on that day no GP would be pleased with my heartrate...:( iyswim

I think that the more you get to know your mindees the more aware you are of their capabilities... But I let mine take more risks at the ages the mindees are than I let the mindees take - if that makes sense?

Moominmomma
ok, think i'm going to get a small trampoline for my mindees now. Didn't think about age restrictions as my kids all use our big one. my youngest is 2 and loves it, it has netting on so I know he's ok. my major worry was that my kids and friends all pile on together, and I have written in my policy that only one child at a time should go on.

So, do you think I should buy a small trampoline for my young mindees, or stick to the one child at a time regardless of age?

God my brain hurts! :panic:

TheBTeam

When my son had his accident i was/still am racked with guilt that i was relieved it was him and not one of the mindees which it could have been, how i would have told the parents of something so horrific i do not know. My cm friends let their charges climb over the logs etc, but i am too scared and have kept mine away for fear of it.

venus89
18-04-2009, 09:10 PM
ok, think i'm going to get a small trampoline for my mindees now. Didn't think about age restrictions as my kids all use our big one. my youngest is 2 and loves it, it has netting on so I know he's ok. my major worry was that my kids and friends all pile on together, and I have written in my policy that only one child at a time should go on.

So, do you think I should buy a small trampoline for my young mindees, or stick to the one child at a time regardless of age?

God my brain hurts! :panic:

I have one of these http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3672095/c_1/1%7Ccat_12107734%7COutdoor+toys%7C12107855/Trail/searchtext%3ETRAMPOLINE.htm which my littlies (1+) go on.......

Hebs
18-04-2009, 09:21 PM
i have this one for mindees :thumbsup:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3674770/Trail/searchtext%3ETRAMPOLINE.htm

ORKSIE
18-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Hope i'm not tempting fate but..... i have had my 10ft with enclosure for 2 years, no accidents yet... hope i dont wish i never posted this:ohdear: