PDA

View Full Version : Medical Emergency Policy

essexgirl1967
07-02-2008, 10:26 PM
I recently had to update my medical emergency plan as a mindee was recently admitted to hospital ( not whilst in my care) with a suspected epilieptic fit. Until his parents have an official diagnosis they have been told to call an ambulance if he has another fit. I wrote a plan of care which has been approved by my local NCMA lady ( I rang her for advice whilst writing it) and during my recent Ofsted report the Ofsted inspector said that she found it very helpful and exactly the sort of thing she would like to read if she was looking for care for her own children. Basically, it was as follows:

MEDICAL EMERGENCY PLAN OF CARE

In a medical emergency such as an accident or sudden illness that requires immediate medical attention, I will provide First Aid in accordance with my training, and will then ring 999. A parent will then be telephoned to meet the ambulance either at my house or the hospital, whichever is most practical.
It is therefore ESSENTIAL that all contact numbers are kept up to date. Please indicate on the form below
the order that you would like parents to be contacted, bearing in mind distance from my house etc , as the
emergency contact would need to be able to get here asap.
I would not be able to travel to the hospital in the ambulance because of the other children who would still
need to be cared for. In an emergency, this form gives permission for your child to be treated by hospital staff until you reach the hospital.

Name Of Child__________________________

I give permission for ****************** to obtain medical treatment for my child in the case of emergency. I understand that ***************** will contact me to meet the ambulance at either her house or the hospital and that she will not be travelling to hospital with the ambulance.

In an emergency, I would like to be contacted on the following numbers:

1. Name __________________ Contact No:_______________________________

Alternative No’s___________________________

2. Name __________________ Contact No:_______________________________

Alternative No’s___________________________

Signed _________________________________________________ Date______________

I printed a copy for all parents ( not just the parents of the mindee with the medical condition) so that the same policy is in place for everyone. New parents sign this form too along with all the normal permission slips. My house is literally 2 minutes away from the hospital but there is no way I could juggle possibly 6 mindees whilst accompanying an injured or ill child to hospital. All the parents seem more than happy with this and I got graded Excellent on 3 of the oucomes in my inspection and Good on the other 2 so I was very pleased. Hope this is some help, Karen

angeldelight
07-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Thank you for sharing the information Karen

Speak soon

Angel xx

sarah707
08-02-2008, 08:32 AM
That is great Karen... thank you for sharing! :D

miffy
08-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Thank you that's great

Miffy xx

ajs
08-02-2008, 08:45 AM
that's a great policy
mine is similar with out the ambulance bit though but i suppose with the history of the child you need that bit in specifically

when my baby was born they thought she had epilepsy and at 23 days old she was rushed into hospital for brain scans and monitors etc the worst of it all was although i kept asking was it epilepsy you're looking for they kept dismissing it so i was more scared because they wouldn't admit what they thought it may be
all ok in the end for charlotte thankfully she's not epileptic they think it may have been an immature nervous system making her tremor

sarah707
08-02-2008, 09:29 AM
My ds had siezures after one of his injections - he reacted badly to them all so not sure which... but he was taken into hospital 5 times with them.

I was concerned about epilepsy and it was mentioned by some doctors, but a scan showed nothing and it turned out they were probably febrile convulsions...

Scary! :eek:

deeb66
08-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Very similar to what I have in place already ....but haven't got the bit about the ambulance....think I might add it in

Thanks very much Karen

hello kitty
08-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Hi, great wording on this policy. Think I may redo my policy. Thanks for sharing. :clapping: Sarah

buildingblocks
08-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Thank you for sharing am going to add the bit about ambulance to mine - i have often wondered about this as I wouldn't want a child to go to hospital on their own but obviously couldn't take all the children with me.

Pipsqueak
08-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Thank you - that is a well thought out policy.

sarahstanbridge
29-02-2008, 05:05 PM
thanks for sharing that. good idea.

sarah

Heaven Scent
02-03-2008, 01:53 AM
Thanks for theat its great, My own daughter who is now 10 started having what looked like epileptic fits at the age of 3 it was very scary it only really ever happened to her when she was going through stressful periods (e.g deaths of her grandparents - which meant staying away from home for weeks at a time) and when she hurt herself or had a fear of being hurt she even had them in her sleep and wet and soiled herself in her sleep. These turns came in fits and starts and last year doctors finally sent her for tests to rule out epilepsy and Long QT ( to do with electrical reflexes in the heart) and thankfully all was clear and she has been diagnosed with a syndrome called
Reflex Anoxic Syndrome and is quite common in very young children and usually subsides as the child gets older but in some cases it stays with people until adulthood. Luckily I had been referred to a website dedicated to this condition at the beginning of her last bout of these seizures and recognised all the symptoms and felt in my heart and soul that there was nothing to worry about but was still very pleased when the doctors confirmed that I was right. She had her last one at a fireworks party when she fell against a blanket chest and was on her way down the stairs to find me and she passed out on the stairs, but luckily she was fine - just a bruise on her back from the chest. Well worth taking a look at this site loads of case studies just type in STARS into your search engine and you should come across it or add the name of the syndrome.

Celine:idea: :idea:

tinytigers
02-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Thats great thank you. I have used that for mine. :clapping: