PDA

View Full Version : drawing--books or paper

mushpea
17-04-2009, 06:01 AM
hi at the moment i put pens and paper on the table when we arent doing other projects for the children to hellp themsleves to for drawing etc. but at then end of the day they go hom with several loose bits of paper.
i was thinking insted of putting out paper i could get them a colouring book each the sort with pictures in to colour and then another plain book which they could do their own drawings then when the book is full they can take them home.
do you think this is a good idea? I know one of themw ould love it, two of them probably wouldnt use them much
and then one who would probably just scribble to lines on each page, fill the book up like that then ask for another one! so not sure what to do about that?
do you have books for them like this or do ou let them take bits of paper home?
and how would you deal with the one who just scribbles on each page on the first day?

huggableshelly
17-04-2009, 06:46 AM
I provide both

the colouring books used to be named but some children liked them others prefered paper so now a child can choose a book and the page is then removed and taken home or put up in the hall on their display board.

Mine love cardboard too so I make the most of freecycling the boxes.

Deb
17-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Both here too, some like the freedom of paper - you can use it easier, particularly the younger ones.

cherry
17-04-2009, 07:16 AM
I have colouring books and plain paper.

The children can choose a picture to colour in and I take it out of the book, then they can take it home with them.

angeldelight
17-04-2009, 07:20 AM
I use both

I get whatever bargains I can see

So annoying though when you have about 30 pieces of paper with one little bit of scribble in a corner and nothing else :laughing: :laughing:
Thats kids for you though

Angel xxx

Chanelle
17-04-2009, 07:21 AM
I will use both. Paper will be free for them to help themselves to.

Books for adding their own little drawings in, relating to the topic of the week/month ... just some simple little drawings for them to express themeslves.
I will also use this book for the photographs. and add comments on the bottom of page relating to the EYFS.

Chanelle
17-04-2009, 07:23 AM
I use both

I get whatever bargains I can see

So annoying though when you have about 30 pieces of paper with one little bit of scribble in a corner and nothing else :laughing: :laughing:
Thats kids for you though

Angel xxx

What I do is fold these pieces inhalf and staple the sides, then staple them together so you have little booklets, then the wasted scibbled paper is being used again ! Actually an idea from our local Nursery advisor .... Children are not really fussed what they draw on lol

angeldelight
17-04-2009, 07:44 AM
What I do is fold these pieces inhalf and staple the sides, then staple them together so you have little booklets, then the wasted scibbled paper is being used again ! Actually an idea from our local Nursery advisor .... Children are not really fussed what they draw on lol

Yes we do that too

But most of the time they can only do their masterpiece on a large clean sheet ha ha

We must waste so much paper and colouring books when they only colour a bit of a picture

Angel xx

Chanelle
17-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Oooh I had a thought !! Save al their little bits ... and get them to cut them out and do a collage on a HUGE bit of paper!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Lady Haha
17-04-2009, 07:50 AM
I buy cheap reams of printer paper, 500 sheets for 1.99!!! Or if you have a Scrapstore near you, they are brilliant for paper!

angeldelight
17-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Oooh I had a thought !! Save al their little bits ... and get them to cut them out and do a collage on a HUGE bit of paper!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Good thinking ha ha

xxx

huggableshelly
17-04-2009, 08:08 AM
I use recycled waste too ... old policies etc for general scribble.

once they are on the wall or in scrapbooks parents cant see what is on the other side and even if they did look its only information they have seen before.

Shar
17-04-2009, 08:24 AM
All my kids have a display book from Tesco 70p that I put all their pictures, drawings etc... in and they can take it home weekendsd when its full.XX

sarah707
17-04-2009, 08:35 AM
I use lots of different things too... books, paper, notepads, old diaries etc.

I store them in a cleaning caddy with a handle so they can be taken outside (thank you to my childminding coordinator for that idea). :D

TheBTeam
17-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Our ofsted inspector said that we should not provide colouring pictures for the younger children, because they are not capable of colouring in the lines and then feel failure that they can't.

We said that to be inclusive they are given the same access to topical pictures as the older ones and at their age when will they learn that they can colour in the lines if they are not given any lines!! We make no comment about them not having coloured in the lines, we do make comments about the reason for the picture ie poppies for remembrance, daffodils for St Davids etc. Each child is able to be included at their level.

The ofsted inspector was having none of it tho, do you think she was right?

Chanelle
17-04-2009, 09:23 AM
I don't think she is rght no ... All children of all ages should be able to express their ideas in their own way.

I dont like worksheets particularlly but I think every now and then is okay.

TheBTeam
17-04-2009, 09:29 AM
We don't tend to use worksheets either, these are just pictures and colouring books, especially at significant days, festivals etc, to give an idea of what is related to/appropriate to the theme. Also things like pictures of rainy day clothes to work with wet weather etc, the pictures are included for children 1-2 age range as well as the older ones and when (not if) they scribble on them so be it,

it was these kind of pictures she said the guidelines now discourage, personally i don't agree, i will not know how a child starts to colour in the lines unless they develop through the stages, i do not want to wait till they think on there own i will/can colour in the lines now cos i am able, what then if they fell short of their own expectations, i think better they have a surprise one day when they achieve it and weren't expecting it, but had lots of opportunity.

Sorry to rant, but the ofsted woman really wound us up on this.

PixiePetal
17-04-2009, 10:03 AM
I will continue to provide plain paper and printed pictures for any ages, my choice. Very little ones are welcome to add just a few lines of colour :thumbsup: :)

marion123
17-04-2009, 10:14 AM
i leave both out then they can choose :)

Chatterbox Childcare
17-04-2009, 10:33 AM
I have both too. A colouring book for each child when they "scribble" for 2 secs and when we are doing activities we have paper out and some are kept for their folders and others go home

Mouse
17-04-2009, 10:45 AM
I have both paper & colouring books, but I tend to photocopy the pages out of the colouring books as you can guarantee 2 will want to colour the same picture!

I also have old diaries, note books etc that they love to scribble in.

mummyroysof3
17-04-2009, 10:54 AM
my own kids are just 2 and almost 4, they like colouring books and neither of them attempt to stay in the lines or colour things the colour they should be green for grass etc, i always tear the pages out for them as they find it difficult to hold the book open

my 2 year old mostly gets a a4 sheet folded in half like a book maybe she thinks shes getting a better deal than her brother :laughing:

charlotte x