PDA

View Full Version : snack ideas

Helen79
16-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Just wondering what everyone gives as a snack as I've got some older mindees starting & up til now the babies have been easy to please with their snacks.

We do fruit, raisins, breadsticks, dry cheerios, cheese, sliced cucumber/pepper/tomato, sometimes crackers or a small sandwich.

I don't have biscuits or crisps in the house so need some other ideas so the older kids don't get bored with what I'm offering.

huggableshelly
16-04-2009, 10:40 AM
mine have cakes if we make them

fruitflakes but these are costly

sultanas, lots of different fruit

plain rich tea or milkycow biscuits

children like to decorate the rich tea's too

sometimes if there is a school disco I keep the children for tea then leave them in school as its too much of a rush for parents to pickup feed then drop off again

I offer crumpets, crisps as I have them for packed lunches, carrot sticks, salad and for those occassions only some form of chocolate like a penguin or kitkat

another cm offers fruitbars - I think they are horrid lol, and pepperoni things but again I dont offer those

huggableshelly
16-04-2009, 10:41 AM
oh and my eldest mindee now packs extras in his lunch box which he eats here usually extra crisps or fruit sometimes sweets but thats his mums choice

deeb66
16-04-2009, 10:42 AM
How about things like crumpets, toasted tea cakes etc. Malt loaf is another good one.

I also do different dips with breadsticks, pitta bread or veg sticks.

Rice cakes - favourite in this house is the caramel snack-a-jacks.

Cheese & crackers

Pitta sandwiches

Homemade mini pizza's (on top pitta bread)

Cereal bars/fruit bars (healthy one's)

Nutrigrain bars

HTH

loocyloo
16-04-2009, 12:13 PM
we have lots of fruit and veggies + dips/crackers etc

fruit/malt loaf

toast/muffins/crumpets etc

cakes/biscuits if we have made any !

a big favourite with all the children is pop corn :clapping: ( i have an popcorn machine (about £20 in argos)..all you need are corn kernals! ) the children love it hot, straight from the machine! sometimes i add a little sugar or salt, or we have made our own savoury popcorn by melting butter and marmite together, stirring it into popcorn and then putting in warm oven to dry for a few minutes! YUM!

very easy and good for you, yet feels like a real treat!

xxx

mushpea
16-04-2009, 03:15 PM
i have stoped doing after school snacks as i found they wouldn't eat their tea but in hols we have
cereal bars
flapjack
fruit of any sort (never seen a tub of straberries disaper as quick as today!)
cheesy biscuits like cheddars
ritz crackers
fruit bars like go ahead

plus we make lots of cakes, savory and sweet bisuits etc so they munch on them. I don't give the older ones different snacks to the younger ones as there is lots of protesting on both parts!!

angeldelight
16-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Good ideas from everyone

Just wanted to say good luck with the new children

Angel xx