PDA

View Full Version : Tax Credits

grindal
16-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Morning all
I am looking for yet more words of wisdom from experienced childminders out there. I finished work in December and informed tax credits that I was no longer working. As such I no longer get the working tax credit payment. When I start childminding for 30hrs a week next week can I phone them up and say I am now in employment for 30hrs a week? Or is it different because I will be self employed?
Tax credits have always been a bit of a mystery to me!!
Hoping someone can make things a little bit clearer.
Grindal

Hebs
16-04-2009, 10:16 AM
yep thats exactly what you do :D

but remember your working week ISN'T just the time you care for children, but also the time used doing paperwork etc :thumbsup:

SimplyLucy
16-04-2009, 10:16 AM
You could have told tax credits that you were working as soon as you got your certificate.

Have you been doing paperwork?
Have you been advertising?
Have you been networking?
Have you been going to training?

All the above things are part of running your own business even before you get children to childmind. Even when you have children to look after remember to add then hours of minding to the hours of paperwork/training etc, I'm sure you'd be well over the 16/30 hours brackets in no time at all.

Give tax credits a ring and ask to have it back dated.

FussyElmo
16-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Ring them you just have to tell them your self employed as a childminder:)

grindal
16-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Wow!! Thanks so much for that! Helpful as ever.
Grindal

singlewiththree
16-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Is there much different for the 16hrs or 30hrs bracket in money wise?

I'm down as doing 16 however next week I'm physically working 15 and then there is paperwork I will be going up to 25hrs physically minding in May so would it be best to go into the 30hrs bracket? I dont want to lose money

Chatterbox Childcare
16-04-2009, 03:13 PM
I am really confused. I was told that you need to be employed to claim tax credits.

Hebs
16-04-2009, 03:23 PM
I am really confused. I was told that you need to be employed to claim tax credits.

nope i claim tax credits as self employed :thumbsup:

you get extra for working more than 30 hours a week (30 hour top up) :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
16-04-2009, 03:25 PM

No I thought this but when I had my last child I ended up having only 1 child for four months so I was told to ring the tax credits and they said that it is fine. The guy I spoke to was really good and explained everything:)

mummyroysof3
16-04-2009, 03:31 PM
how does it work when there is 2 of you my hubby works over 30 and i work 16(on maternity leave at the moment)

charlotte x

FussyElmo
16-04-2009, 03:52 PM
how does it work when there is 2 of you my hubby works over 30 and i work 16(on maternity leave at the moment)

charlotte x

Yes my husband works 35 hours a week and we still get tax credits you have to give them both of your earnings. There is a ready reckoner on line which gives you a estimate of what your're entitled to.

http://www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov.uk

mummyroysof3
16-04-2009, 03:57 PM
we are trying to work out what to do about my job after my maternity leave ends, and as usual money is the deciding factor:rolleyes:

charlotte x

tammerisk
16-04-2009, 05:09 PM
as far as tax credits are conserned if you are on maternity leave you are still classed as working as you are still either employed or self enpolyed i had this when i was 0n matunity leave as a childminder

the web site entitledto.com will tell you how much you get to

FizzysFriends
16-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Is there much different for the 16hrs or 30hrs bracket in money wise?

I'm down as doing 16 however next week I'm physically working 15 and then there is paperwork I will be going up to 25hrs physically minding in May so would it be best to go into the 30hrs bracket? I dont want to lose money

Ring them an up your hours to 30, because by the time you have done your paperwork, shopping, cleaning etc for the kids I bet you are over 30 hours. The money is better in your pocket than theirs.

Lady Haha
16-04-2009, 08:01 PM
yep, I claim them! And I claim the 30 hour bracket one as I include paperwork time.

DebbieS26, I think the key is in the title of this benefit! They are 'WORKING' tax credits, so makes no difference whether that work is employed or self employed.

lllovelylou11
17-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Helloo,

This is one of the questions i wanted answering too.

I work full-time at the minute (in an office doing boring credit control staring at a computer screen all day) so claim tax credits for childcare for my two children, one whom goes nursery 9-5:20 and the other whom goes afterschool club 3:15-5:15pm every day.

So i can still claim for the childcare for them both and time im spending
on my paperwork and looking aftermindees (when i get to that stage)??

Im going to the pre-reg briefing meeting next week and cant wait to get started in my new venture, i love working with kids.

Thanks for all the info.
Lou. xx

tulip0803
17-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Helloo,

This is one of the questions i wanted answering too.

I work full-time at the minute (in an office doing boring credit control staring at a computer screen all day) so claim tax credits for childcare for my two children, one whom goes nursery 9-5:20 and the other whom goes afterschool club 3:15-5:15pm every day.

So i can still claim for the childcare for them both and time im spending
on my paperwork and looking aftermindees (when i get to that stage)??

Im going to the pre-reg briefing meeting next week and cant wait to get started in my new venture, i love working with kids.

Thanks for all the info.
Lou. xx

You can claim childcare allowance if they go to someone else (nursery/afterschool/other childminder) - Unfortunately although our children take up one space each we can't use our reg numbers to claim if they are with us IYSWIM. You can still claim all the rest of tax credits on your income after expences not before:D