PDA

View Full Version : sat nav

mushpea
16-04-2009, 09:20 AM
am thinking of getting one but don't know much about them , can anyone recomend one please

deeb66
16-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I have been looking into getting one myself.

It would seem (to me anyway) that the best one to get is Tom Tom.

I am looking at the one with the wider screen and allows me to have my mobile connected through it too as a hands free but I have used my Father In Laws and he just has the basic Tom Tom (larger screen version) and it is excellent!

HTH

Dee

katickles
16-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Me & hubby have Tom Toms, i find it soooooooooooo easy to use which for me is what i need :D

Willowdancer
16-04-2009, 10:32 AM
We have a Tom Tom One and wouldn't go with anything other than one of their sat nav units now. We made a mistake and bought a cheaper one last time, but it only lasted a few days before it got returned and swapped for another Tom Tom.

huggableshelly
16-04-2009, 10:35 AM
I have a Tom Tom and wouldn't be without it.

I do motorway driving and use it alot if there is a blockage to get me on the move without having to read a road map that is usually out of date due to the changes constantly made in roadworks.

I had a top of the range was close to £400 two years ago, my hubby had a cheaper version that doesn't alert him of speed cameras but he is good at finding his own way around too lol.

Prices have come down alot now though, it really does depend on what additional extras you would like on it.

Mine does speed cameras, night vision, saves favorite/regular trips and can update it on line as often as I like (there is an additional charge a yearly fee for gaining updates)

manjay
16-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Definitely Tom Tom for us too. Although we have learnt not to use it when taking the caravan away as it can send you down some pretty hairy roads:D

littlesprogs
16-04-2009, 10:55 AM
We had a navman and it was rubbish we now have a tomtom one which we got really cheap from tesco its brilliant it tells you where all the speed cameras are and when your speeding (you can switch that off though) and its really easy to use i wouldnt be without mine now.

CCJD
16-04-2009, 11:48 AM
We have a Tom Tom and I think they are about as reliable as they get. Things to think about:
a) how much coverage do you want? UK or Europe
b) how big a screen do you want? I have gone for the original size not XL and it is fine.
c) Do you want traffic alerts?

I only bought mine at the beginning of the year - we got TomTom One (version 4) Europe 22 with traffic (version 4 is the latest version with most up to date maps). Not sure the traffic is really worth it as we rarely plug it in (traffic updates are received via an antena and automatically prompts the Tom Tom into giving you an alternate route). By buying it all together I dont have yearly subscriptions for traffic. Total cost was £140 ish. If you go without traffic you can get it for around £125.

And I wouldnt live without one now!!!! Has made trips and my sons away footy matches so much easier!!! No more printing out AA route finder sheets anymore!! Nothing better than whereever you are , just pressing the home button and it directing you right back home - you'll never get lost again!!!!

LOOPYLISA
16-04-2009, 01:16 PM
We have a tom tom, drive me up the wall but i do know where im going :D

jibberjitz
16-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Tom tom here too :thumbsup: Couldn't live without it now!

katickles
17-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I have had an email today from Halfords - they have a sale on at the mo with upto 50% off sat navs - maybe worth a look for you :)

charleyfarley
17-04-2009, 12:28 PM
We have 2, the first is a Navman and continuely got me lost :panic: yes it was the machine, honest :blush: We also had to put it in the car 5 mins before leaving just so it could register where we were. In a word it was rubbish!!

Hubby then needed a new one for work, he wanted a Tom Tom but Halfords actually told him to go with Garmen, which he did and we or rather he has no complaints.

Carol xx

marion123
17-04-2009, 02:30 PM
we use a tom tom its great :)