PDA

View Full Version : Income support and childminding !!

whitedove
07-02-2008, 07:22 PM
I am currently on Income support.Having housing benifit and council tax benifit,
I really want to get off it and become a childminder.but I am worried about a few things.Am hoping you guys might be able to help me please.

My concerns are once my benifits stop.
and I dont have enough mindees to cover the rent,council tax.food.utilities ect.how will I cope.
Will i still be entitled to some benifit or is this out of the question once i start working.

So hoping someone can help

Thanks Jacqui

kelly76x
07-02-2008, 07:57 PM
hi, i'm sorry i dont think i can help but i would have thought it would depend on how much your earning and your hours i'm sure theres a benefit hotline you could give them a ring and ask them fo advice.

whitedove
07-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Oh thanks kelly.did'nt think of that ( d.o.h lol )
there is so much to think about,Dont know if im coming or going .

deeb66
07-02-2008, 08:03 PM
I can't for the life of me remember who it is now....but do know that someone on here is in the same sort of situation as you.

Hopefully she will spot this thread and will be able to give you advice....

whitedove
07-02-2008, 08:26 PM
lets hope she come to my rescue nice n quick then lol

Its quite daunting all the ins and outs of all this.but im determined to see it through x

sarah707
07-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Once you are earning... and only then... you cancel your income support and housing benefit and get tax credits instead...

But it's quite complicated to get it all in the right order. I would ring the benefits advice line and maybe even talk to the benefits advisor at citizens advice...

I would also recommend you start saving a bit now every month so you have a month's rent / bills in the bank, just in case the benefits muck up and you don't have enough money the first month...Once it's running smoothly, you're usually (but not always, depends on partner's income and hours worked which have got to be more than 18 a week) better off on tax credits :D

brillminder
07-02-2008, 09:07 PM
years ago you could be on income support and 2/3 rds income didn't count ask remember what you get paid in not your earnings ( deduct expenses)
good luck

FunYard
07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
years ago you could be on income support and 2/3 rds income didn't count ask remember what you get paid in not your earnings ( deduct expenses)
good luck

this is still the case !!!!!

DCS
17-02-2008, 03:19 PM
hiya,

talk to your new deal for lone parents advisor at your local job centre. If you go this route, you will find that you can still claim all your benefits for up to 6 months of trading. google 'new deal for lone parents and becoming self employed', I think you will be pleasantly suprised!

kidfriendly
17-03-2008, 09:33 PM
hi whitedove i know in northern ireland you can get working tax credits and child tax credit by the way i,m tracey

miffy
17-03-2008, 10:14 PM
hiya,

talk to your new deal for lone parents advisor at your local job centre. If you go this route, you will find that you can still claim all your benefits for up to 6 months of trading. google 'new deal for lone parents and becoming self employed', I think you will be pleasantly suprised!

That's interesting - I didn't know that

That's what I love about this forum there's so much to learn from one another - thanks for sharing

Miffy xx

tinkerbell_85
18-03-2008, 10:45 AM
everyone is full of info, i didnt know this either, it was a worry of mine, not so much now tho. thanks xxx

Annie_T
23-03-2008, 04:23 PM
i was told as a childminder i can earn 60 week before any of my income support is stopped, which means housing and c/tax benefits carries on too as far as i remember.

id make a appt with your job centre/income support advisor. make sure on any details etc hun .. dont do it over phone because they tend want rush you.. it easier when talking face to face i feel x