PDA

View Full Version : 2yr old screams when it is time for lunch

Shirlwith3
16-04-2009, 05:56 AM
My 2yr old mindee is lovely little boy but when it is time to ask what everyone would like for lunch he starts to cry & scream, now he used to be good he would eat his meals no problem. It started that he didn't like meat not it is getting less thing he will touch, then yesterday I noticed it is when you mention it is time for lunch as he will eat a snack with no problems. I have taken on 2 new children so when they & my youngest sit down to lunch they get loads of prase or extra treats but that is not working he just cries even more, so next week I have decided to try a grazing lunch where he he can eat between a set time but not have to sit down I ham really hoping this will work as mum is alos having the same trouble at home too so we are working together on this. I sat here wondering if this is connected to the fact his daddy is away in Afganistan at the moment.

AS I only have him twice a week I am going to have to wait till next week to try it out.

If any one can think of anything else that would be great.

Shirl

patevans
16-04-2009, 06:14 AM
I have a 2yr old mindee like this. He used to eat man sized portions of everything and the only thing I can get him to eat now is sarnies. If I give him a hot dinner he starts to cry then screams then makes himself sick, I spoke to his parents and they said he is the same at home.

I have arranged a meeting with them for next week to come in and discuss his eating and behaviour and view his learning journey.

angeldelight
16-04-2009, 06:21 AM
Oh poor little thing maybe he is missing his dad who knows

I have a 2 year old like this - mind you he cries at almost anything so nothing new there ha

He screams and kicks at the table now we did try to ignore it but its a bit difficult and the older children complain ha

If he wants no lunch now I do not make a big deal of it at I just say ok and sit him in his buggy away from the others - he screams and screams at this
We did this for about 3 weeks and have not given into him at all ( with support from his mom for once )He would not give in either though ha

It seems to have worked he asked to sit at the table yesterday so a result for us :jump for joy:

I think the more you give in to their demands or the more you fuss and moan at them the less likely they are going to eat
If they see you are not going to give them extra attention or make a fuss they usually get fed up and give in - in the end

Maybe you could try something like that ?

Good luck

Angel xx

Daftbat
16-04-2009, 06:22 AM
A little boy i look after used to be the same when he first came to me. He had not settled with a previous minder and mum and dad had just split up as well as his grandma being ill in hospital. He refused anything but a sandwich at first and would not come to the table to eat. I let him have his way for a while and then insisted he come to the table - you should have seen the tantrums! Anyway, i was stubborn and still made him sit at the table and the tantrums only lasted a couple of days.

Then, he would only want chips etc and would cry at the table if i gave him vegetables and potatoes etc. Again, i just kept firm and took no notice of the tears - they soon stopped and now although he is obviously unimpressed by some meals he just gets on with it.

Just shows that you have to keep firm and not give in to the tantrums etc.

HE is a lovely boy by the way - always has been and its even better now the food thing is sorted:thumbsup:

singlewiththree
16-04-2009, 07:26 AM
My sister gave in to the tears and tantrums and now has a child who will only eat smilies and sausage and he has done for the last year and half.

My DD went through the same and I just waiting for everyone else to finish and then let her down and even though she hadn't eaten anything, eventually she would sit down for one meal a day without screaming and then it build up as she got older she is 21/2 now and still doesn't eat much and pushes the plate away but at least she sits without screaming. I know from experience that as she gets older she will eat it.