PDA

View Full Version : Informing the Inland Revenue that I have started working as a Childminder

Monique
15-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I recently (November 2008) started working as a childminder with my first child.
As it was only a part time place and the chance of me earning enough to have to pay tax was almost non existant I didn't realise I had to inform them that I had started work. I only realised after getting my childminding information out regarding accounts and tax that I had to inform the tax office. After reading the information there is a £100 fine and I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice - have I left it too late? will I have to pay the fine? My earnings since November is well below the tax threshold, without expenses.
Do I still have to do a tax return even if my earnings are below what I am allowed to earn even before expenses are deducted off?

I am worried about the fine and would be grateful for any advice / help.

Thank you,

youarewhatyoueat
17-04-2009, 12:02 PM
National insurance youre meant to register within 3 months, so youre first tax year is 08/09 so you'll be ok with them but you'll get a fail to notify notice with the national insurance but hopefully no fine. But do it now online or by phone, you should be ok.