PDA

View Full Version : One of those days!

vix84
14-04-2009, 06:04 PM
I had my son today who is 10mths and demanding and my part-timer only for 3 hours who is a year - and both are teething!

Anyway - Ive decided that once we have finnished our family and they are all at school that I will give up Childminding.

I love working from home, being self-employed and building a close bond with the children, but I have realised that Childminding when you dont have your own children is much easier!!!

Since having my son, I have a much much more cluttered house, and with the childminding stuff its jam packed - I earn less as Max takes up a space, and Im working my butt off and am far more stressed than before!

So Im going to enjoy my job for the next few years - but will enjoy it more as I can see the light at the end of the tunnel - in the sense of 'one day my downstairs will be paperwork free, my cupboard wont be jam packed full of toys/prams/highchairs etc. and my windowsill may contain photo frames instead of toys!!!

Anyone else have days like these?

Roseolivia
14-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Yes all the time. I'm thinking of only doing this while my daughter is young but we want more children so will probably continue as i enjoy being at home but also earning money for myself.

vix84
14-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Yes all the time. I'm thinking of only doing this while my daughter is young but we want more children so will probably continue as i enjoy being at home but also earning money for myself.

Snap then!
Origionally I took up Childminding before I had Max and wanted to do it forever - but now its very hard being in the house all day when I can see the things that need doing at the end of the day.
Max is also coming 2nd place to my mindee's as he gets picked up last if he is crying, and he is used to having me on demand:(

Im not sure what to do after though.

Are there any recommendations? I was thinking of a pre-school worker - so it fits in with school runs etc. but I think the pay is low isnt it?
Id like to go back to a Nursery, but dont think they do 9am till 3pm shifts.

Daftbat
14-04-2009, 07:04 PM
I am just the opposite - i only intended to mind until my youngest went to school. She is nine now and i enjoy being my own boss so much that i am intending to carry on until whenever........

Its definitely not a job for everyone but it fits me and my family.

vix84
14-04-2009, 07:10 PM
I am just the opposite - i only intended to mind until my youngest went to school. She is nine now and i enjoy being my own boss so much that i am intending to carry on until whenever........

Its definitely not a job for everyone but it fits me and my family.

I suppose once my own kids are older and a bit more independent I may think differently.

But I always like to have a change every few years, so will enjoy trying something new too. And my oh can't wait to come home to a house that is clutter free downstairs and where he doesn't have to dodge the toys and children:)

rickysmiths
14-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Oh I love my job.

Started when my two were nearly one and nearly three. It has changed and shaped as a business around my children and family in a way no other business I know could have done and allowed me the luxury of being at home and here for my children. Being able to see school plays, help on school outtings and having fantastic days out with them on inset days.:clapping:

Here I am 15yrs on, with a 16yr old and a 14yr old still minding and working harder than ever. Looking after a great group of children. This last tax year I earned more than my Primary School Teacher husband ! Something I haven't done for 16 years!!!!!! I couldn't imagine anything else now, I dreading the thought of retiring.:eek: :laughing: :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
14-04-2009, 07:26 PM
I started childminding to be with my son and when my daughter was born I said "when she is 5 and goes to school I will go out to work". Ha ha - that was 13 years ago.

Now I tidy away the toys at night and have my house back. I am my own boss, earn more money than I could out at work and do the hours I want to fit around my family.

In essence, I love my job and what it offers.

You may change your mind once you are settled and yours are at school.

Hope you have a less demanding day tomorrow

vix84
14-04-2009, 07:49 PM
I started childminding to be with my son and when my daughter was born I said "when she is 5 and goes to school I will go out to work". Ha ha - that was 13 years ago.

Now I tidy away the toys at night and have my house back. I am my own boss, earn more money than I could out at work and do the hours I want to fit around my family.

In essence, I love my job and what it offers.

You may change your mind once you are settled and yours are at school.

Hope you have a less demanding day tomorrow

I think your probably right - Im sat here thinking how relaxed I am now, and nice knowing Im working from home tommorow. No worrying about working with other people and sharing the work etc.
I think its because Im caring for my son 10mths, an almost 1 year old, a 14 month old, and soon an 11 month old - so they are all at demanding ages. (I dont have them all at the same time by the way!)

I always seem to end up with the young ones though - and Im sure it will happen again after our next baby. I think I will save up enough money to take a year off though and then try to wait for a toddler, or atleast a full-time young one so they are more settled here.

I was thinking about doing just after schoolers etc. but Id have to have quite a few to make up for not working in the day!

Also means we need to move house to a bigger house with more room, where as if I work away from home we wont need as much space, and then a smaller mortgage!

All swings and roundabouts I suppose!

mushpea
14-04-2009, 07:49 PM
I will definatly do this job till i retire, i love working from home being my own boss, the only downside for me is that i have 'young childrens toys' everywhere, my kids are 8 and 10 and are more in to lego and sylvanians so we are saving to build a conservatory so that it can all be shut away in there at night and weekends. apart from that and my other half somtimes moaning that the place looks like a nursery i love this job and don't see anything else for me. I have tried working in a bar, mcdonalds, did a car mechanics course and am a qualified baker and have worked in a school and nursery oh and a factory and this is definatly the best of the lot. I think the best bit is being able to fit my work around my family and because my parnter is lucky enough to have a decent paid job at the moment ( he is int he construciton industry so may not last) i am lucky enough to be able to pick and choose my work too.