PDA

View Full Version : What do assistants have to be??

lllovelylou11
14-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Hello.

Im going to my pre-reg meeting next week and my friend was thinking of coming into business with me eventually when ive built up a bit.
Would she have to be a registered childminder if we were doing it from my home or are there just a few things she would need to do as an assistant??

Thanks.
Louise. xx

Chatterbox Childcare
14-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Just because you have an assistant doesn't mean you can double your numbers.

As far as an assistant goes, it depends on where you live and what your local Ofsted will approve (I have concluded this from certificates on the ofsted website from reports)

I would speak to the person delivering your welcome meeting and ask or email Ofsted in your area

pinklady756
06-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi Louise

I agree that it varies from area to area. When I spoke to Ofsted they said they would never double numbers with an assistant, but the Registered Childminder can apply for a variation to their numbers. Obviously it might not be granted and a lot of posts on here indicate that the variation is quite often for just 1 or 2 children.

As First Aid Training is required to have sole responsibility of 0-5 group, the main difference in applying to be a Childminder instead of an Assistant, is attendind Childminder training, in this area it's Induction Standards through the Early Years Team.

An assistant will just need Enhanced CRB check and First Aid Training (for reason mentioned above).

I'm doing exactly what your friend wants to, and joining an established Childminder. We've decided that bearing in mind the above it's actually better for me to register as a Childminder, rather than her Assistant.

Hope that helps.

lllovelylou11
06-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi there,

You are in the same position as us then arent you.

We have decided to both be registered and work together now.
We went to the briefing session 2 wks ago and we start our ICP course
tomorrow evening and have the first aid 1st day on Saturday.
Really looking forward to it.

xx

pinklady756
06-05-2009, 06:52 PM
I think it will definitely make things easier both being registered.

Good luck with the training, mind doesn't start until the end of the month :( but I've already done the First Aid, which was great. I can't wait to start the other training and get registered!

All the best
xx