PDA

View Full Version : "nappy curriculum" article

haribo
14-04-2009, 02:08 PM
just wondered if anyone has seen this article in todays mail-sorry if already posted its quite interesting !!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1169725/Nursery-pupils-education-damaged-300-tick-box-targets-reach-age-five.html

huggableshelly
14-04-2009, 02:13 PM
very interesting ... now lets see if anyone takes any notice and make further changes.

mrsbumbles
14-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Yes i agree very interesting !!!

I spend an awful lot of time making notes about children rather than interacting with them and having fun, there are so many missed opportunities to have fun.

This is something that makes me quite sad, rather than whoopin up a storm and having fun, i am sat with pen and paper in hand :(

haribo
14-04-2009, 04:11 PM
i showed it to my mum who is a retired primary school teacher she could not believe we have to do the same as nurseries - even though i have tried to tell her many times lol .

Andrea08
14-04-2009, 05:13 PM
EYFS does have more paperwork than before unless you were accredited or teaching at reception level.
i find i have my camera around my neck all day and as we play i am constantly taking pictures and once a week i print them off stick to our scrap book and display board and observation diary/sheets.
befor EYFS it would be a few pictures for the scrap book and our display board to show what we have been doing,,
give us time and we will all be doing the paper work like its 2nd nature shame there isnt a system where a diary is kept with a child from birth showing the stepping stones and areas for pictures and EYFS learning notes etc etc
but i do find myself on the PC more now than ever with the online SEF and quality assurance schemes and observations etc b4 i could just use pen and paper now ive invested in a computer..times change

nannymcflea
14-04-2009, 05:29 PM
What a load of :censored: but then thats what you get from a :censored: paper!

If anyone is spending their time compiling a tick chart and trying to pidgeon hole the kids they look after then more fool them. The EYFS is NOT supposed to be used as a tick list, i think you'll find it states this in the booklet, it is a guidance that can help you plan and also to see if children need support in different areas.

Yes it does mean a bit more work but at least you can do some of it with a glass of wine in hand in the evening!:D

Deb
14-04-2009, 05:32 PM
I think some people are either doing it wrong or working too hard. No where in the EYFS does it ask us to sit and tick boxes instead of interacting with the children; the interpretations that are being made of this are incredible. I fulfill all areas of the EYFS and am an accredited minder, and rarely make notes during the day and when I do it is literally a few lines on a pad I have and expanded if necessary later.