PDA

View Full Version : kitchen bins

estrelas
14-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Good morning, i spoke to someone who said Ofsted don't like bins in the kitchen??? surely this isn't true?:eek:

I aint gonna move mine anyway :)

Also potty training, is it ok to leave the potty in the front room? obviously it needs to be close to child?

Thanks
Hope everyone had a good Easter break x

Roseolivia
14-04-2009, 07:19 AM
My bin was in the kitchenand the inspector didn't say anything. I have a downstairs toilet so potties would go in there.

estrelas
14-04-2009, 07:20 AM
I have a downstairs toilet, but my little one has just started training, so think it would be too far for him to go?

bibby76
14-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi, I had my ofsted inspection the begining of March, and was told as long as the bin has a lid its fine in the kitchen. As for the pottys i also have a downstairs toilet and they are always in there.

deeb66
14-04-2009, 07:24 AM
I have a downstairs toilet, but my little one has just started training, so think it would be too far for him to go?

I know they don't like potty's anywhere other than the toilet. It is considered as un-hygenic to be anywhere else!

They also consider the childs privacy issue.

HTH

Dee

Chatterbox Childcare
14-04-2009, 07:54 AM
No problem with the bin with my inspector but the little ones cannot get into it so maybe the issue has been with an accessible bin somewhere.

As to pottys, sometimes they need to be just "lieing around" to be seen but once they start being used I keep mine in the toilet with the door open

angeldelight
14-04-2009, 07:58 AM
I have not heard of that

Personally I hate kitchen bins and have never had one I think they are horrible but that is my personal view

I can not see the problem if you keep it clean etc

I would also leave the potty in the toilet and take the child there when he needed to use it

Angel xx

ajs
14-04-2009, 07:59 AM
my hubby has just bought one of those automatic bins so the kids have great fun throwing things away.
it has a sensor so you don't have to touch it for it to open not sure what ofsted will have to say about that

one of my 2 yr olds is potty training i have 4 of 2 and under if i run to the loo with her every time she says she needs a wee i would never be with the others so i keep a potty in the kitchen where we are. she would wet herself if i had to put the baby down and take her to the loo so this suits us.

angeldelight
14-04-2009, 08:03 AM
[QUOTE=ajs;390799]my hubby has just bought one of those automatic bins so the kids have great fun throwing things away.
it has a sensor so you don't have to touch it for it to open not sure what ofsted will have to say about that

QUOTE]

Ooooooooooooooh get you Mandy

ha ha

Angel xx

mandy moo
14-04-2009, 08:03 AM
I have an old pantry in my kitchen and my bin is kept in there, only coz when my nephew was little for some reason he liked posting things in it! Never did it at home tho!!
I havent got a 'potty trainer' yet but I've got one for when the time comes, it sits in the downstairs loo at the moment.

estrelas
14-04-2009, 08:05 AM
thats what i was worried about him wetting on the way to the toilet

My kitchen bin is only small, as we put everything straight out but its handy for little things and the children have learn to put there rubbish in there, its a pedal bin so no touching involved

huggableshelly
I too think it depends on the type of bin you have ... risk assess it in your kitchen assessment.

I nappy change in my lounge as no room in my downstairs bathroom but toilet training happens in the bathroom to encourage the children to go into another room to do their duty. I do not leave a potty out on show either but thats personal to me, I do not like potties and prefer to toilet train strain onto the toilet rather than potty then toilet but also I follow the child's routine that is done at home.

madasahatter
Health and safety gone potty (excuse the pun)
All kitchens will have a bin of some kind. As part of my teaching of hygiene children learn to open the bin with their foot on the pedal and if they touch the bin then they wash their hands.....normal life skills. Crawling babies love to sit in front of my shiny stainless steel bin and look at their reflection.
Potties- I also have a downstairs loo, but when I have a child who's just started potty training I keep a clean potty in every room (disinfected after every use) for about a week whilst they learn to have that extra bit of control so that 'now!' isn't quite 'NOW!

angeldelight
14-04-2009, 08:06 AM
thats what i was worried about him wetting on the way to the toilet

My kitchen bin is only small, as we put everything straight out but its handy for little things and the children have learn to put there rubbish in there, its a pedal bin so no touching involved

I do not think it matters what we all do anyway

You should do whatever suits YOU the best

Angel xxx

estrelas
14-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks Angel

Just a bit hung up about Ofsted.

But your right i should just do it how i think :) ,

Daftbat
14-04-2009, 08:36 AM
My bin is up on the worktop, away from any food preparation areas but not because of the kids - its cos of the dog! :laughing: Got fed up of putting everything back in.

Before i had the dog i only ever used to move it when a baby started crawling, investigating and then only until they had learnt not to go near it.

rickysmiths
14-04-2009, 08:42 AM
I have always had a flip top bin in my kitchen, I teach the children to put their tissues in the bin. They also learn to help clear up after activites and meals.

In 15 years no inspector has ever mentiioned the location of my bin!!!!!

If I am potty training I tend to keep clean potties in the room where we are. I also have a downstair toilet. Again this has been discussed at inspections over the years with no problems.

I think you have to show Mrs Ofsted that you are confident in your choices for your setting and that you have a solid reason why you do things the way you choose to do them. We all are different and we all live in different houses looking after different children so we cant all do things the same way.:jump for joy:

gegele
14-04-2009, 09:06 AM
i think that we're thinking too much ah ah ah ah ah

don't let the kids lick or eat from your bin, empty and clean potty after each use. that should be enough.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mouse
14-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I have a bin in my kitchen and a potty in my hallway. No mention of either at my inspection.

Deb
14-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Ofsted and enviro health have a problem with open bins; as for potties - it really is tricky,my toilet is upstairs and during potty training it just isnt practical for it to be anywhere but where we are. I just risk assess it.

sue
14-04-2009, 07:38 PM
i think that we're thinking too much ah ah ah ah ah

don't let the kids lick or eat from your bin, empty and clean potty after each use. that should be enough.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

l agree :D

Hebs
15-04-2009, 08:38 AM
i don't have a kitchen bin either,

my main bin is just outside my back door and any rubbish goes in there :thumbsup:

marion123
15-04-2009, 08:58 AM
my kitchen bin is in the cupboard and my potty is in the toilet :)