PDA

View Full Version : juice or water

mushpea
13-04-2009, 07:44 PM
i have offered juice milk or water from day one with all my mindees, one child will only drink water one's mum only lets him have water and the other 4 drink juice, the two that drink water only drink about one sports bottle a day where as the others get through 3 or 4 , they are with me for about 8-10hrs a day depending on the day and this is just in the winter.
i am concerned that the two water drinkers dont drink enough but obviously cant force them and i have questioned myself as to wether i should be providing juice to drink or should i just provide water but as the children don't drink much when they have water surley having juice is better as it keeps up their fluid intake .
? I have to say i woudnt just drink water all day, i have jucie, tea, coffee so feel its wrong of me to offer just water when it drink other stuff too.
what do you all let yours drink?

PixiePetal
13-04-2009, 07:49 PM
All mine drink water with an occasional juice in the day. They drink more in warm weather and it is always available, I ask throughout the day and make sure at mealtimes that a bit is drunk.:)

mushpea
13-04-2009, 07:51 PM
forgot to add, at the moment mine have juice in sports bottles readily avalible on the coffee table and when they finish a bottle i refill it but we put a new carpet in the weekend and as even the bottles leak i am now thinking of letting them come to me and ask for a drink then giving it to them at the table and the ones who are to little to ask i will reguarly offer, do you think this is ok?

ORKSIE
13-04-2009, 08:01 PM
I offer what i am asked to offer by parents. :) Some say water, some juice. But I must admit the juice drinkers have water with a tiny splash of juice.
Drinks are kept in sports bottles or non spill cups for the littlies, which are all checked regularly. They are on a table that all of the children can reach:)
I make sure children drink regularly and remind them, because they do seem to forget:panic:

sue
13-04-2009, 08:02 PM
l use those non spill cups and allow then to have drinks when they want them

Chatterbox Childcare
13-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Mine all have water as I don't have the space or time to store and clean teeth after every juice drink. Dentists advise water or milk during the day with juice at meal times to reduce decay. Too many children are walking around sucking on bottles and this is bad for them.

Mine have water in bottles all day and have water in a cup at meal times.

Parents are aware of this as it is in my policy and highlighted when signing contracts.

ORKSIE
13-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Yep Debbie can totally see where your coming from but... what if they wont drink the water:)

Mrs.L.C
13-04-2009, 08:10 PM
I offer juice, water or milk but to be honest I only add enough juice (no added sugar) to change the colour of the water and give a very slight taste just so the kids do drink plenty and it keeps them happy. Im trying to the encourage the 2-3 yr olds to drink from a normal glass/beaker so I pour a cup and leave it on the table in the kitchen for them with a jug of water and they like to pour their own drink

Chatterbox Childcare
13-04-2009, 08:11 PM
They do.... Children won't let themselves die of thirst. I think it is education and it they are used to juice and are around age 2 then dilute it bit by bit.

mushpea
13-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Yep Debbie can totally see where your coming from but... what if they wont drink the water:)

this is my worry my son wont drink water, at school its all hes allowed, he dosent drink all day so comes home absoultly gasping.
also i would feel mean not giving juice because its what they are used to and i drink juice and tea and coffee too.
maybe they could have water in their bottles and juice at meal times. i do water their juice down loads

mushpea
13-04-2009, 08:13 PM
debbie, can i ask, do you think you have parents who havent come to you because you only offer water and also have you had anyone complain
i am thinking of just offering juice at meal times but because i offer juice all the time at the moment not sure if this would cause parents to moan, do i need to discuss this with parents first or should i just do it, after all they are still getting drinks and juice withmeals so they arent missing out.

ORKSIE
this is my worry my son wont drink water, at school its all hes allowed, he dosent drink all day so comes home absoultly gasping.
also i would feel mean not giving juice because its what they are used to and i drink juice and tea and coffee too.
maybe they could have water in their bottles and juice at meal times. i do water their juice down loads

The jice drinkers have coloured water, and i try to wean them off, but the little monkeys know when there is no juice in the water:panic:

sophiestars
I give them whatever the parents have said they can have. I only have 2 at the moment - the 3 year old will have milk or water during the day and juice at lunchtime and the 1 year old has a cup with water in that Mum supplies (!) and sometimes some milk that Mum supplies but she doesn't drink much cows milk as Mum still feeds her and she's not keen on it.

I think you have to do what the parents want - if they are only allowed water at home the parents will quickly find out if you have been giving them juice as they will refuse the water at home. I believe it's best for all children to have water from being babies - what they aren't given they won't miss!

I do understand it's hard to get them to drink sometimes - maybe try putting the water in a cup with their favourite character on - Peppa pig, bob the builder etc. Just a thought?

Sophie x

Chatterbox Childcare
13-04-2009, 08:15 PM
I do disucss my policies with the parents and they are all keen for their children to have water (even if they themselves have given them juice). it has never been an issue and as far as I know I haven't lost anyone because of it.

Parents do not always know best as I found out - my son had teeth removed at 7 because of the juice decaying his teeth. This was sugar free. Hence my concerns now.

youarewhatyoueat
13-04-2009, 08:17 PM
I've just reserved from local argos an electric water cooling dispenser reduced to £9.99 I'm hoping the novelty value of having cold water on tap that the kids can help themselves to will make them drink more.My daughter drinks plenty but really likes water cold so I keep it in the fridge.But in the summer my fridge gets full.
Caroline

deeb66
13-04-2009, 08:17 PM
They do.... Children won't let themselves die of thirst. I think it is education and it they are used to juice and are around age 2 then dilute it bit by bit.

This is what I do.

As a rule I don't give juice.

If the child is still a baby/toddler when they first come then I offer water straight away but if they are a little older when they start and are used to juice then I slowly dilute it so they are drinking water.

I also encourage parents to give water at home too but do it in such a way that it doesn't seem that I am interferring or over ruling them

Dee
xx

TheBTeam
13-04-2009, 08:20 PM
I give my little ones water all day, even when the mums say they only drink juice they do drink the water with me. For the older ones they do get very diluted squash when they come from school, although some will only drink water.

My worst problem is with dd she is the juice and squash fiend, my son is good and likes water!

ORKSIE
13-04-2009, 08:21 PM
I do disucss my policies with the parents and they are all keen for their children to have water (even if they themselves have given them juice). it has never been an issue and as far as I know I haven't lost anyone because of it.

Parents do not always know best as I found out - my son had teeth removed at 7 because of the juice decaying his teeth. This was sugar free. Hence my concerns now.

I know that what you are saying is right, and parent usually know that we are doing whats best for their children, but i have children in my care whom i am trying to wean off juice, and its hard when they blatently refuse to drink water. But i am persevering:thumbsup:

mushpea
13-04-2009, 08:22 PM
so do you think i should discuss with the parents that the juice drinkers will be offered water during the day in their sports bottles but juice at meal times or is it ok to just go ahead and do it?

ORKSIE
13-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I give my little ones water all day, even when the mums say they only drink juice they do drink the water with me. For the older ones they do get very diluted squash when they come from school, although some will only drink water.

My worst problem is with dd she is the juice and squash fiend, my son is good and likes water!

The little ones are easier to convert, the older ones are a lot harder:panic:

bubbly
13-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I only provide water if parents don't provide juice. On the odd occassion I have provided juice, I've been drunk out of house and home, followed by continuous potty sitting.

None of my parents have ever offered to contribute to the cost of juice and at the rate it would be drunk, I'd be in negative equity as soon as you could say "mine's a martini, shaken not stirred" :D

flora
13-04-2009, 08:29 PM
I offer all things except fizzy drinks and tea and coffee.

I work on the principal if I don't always fancy water why should they only get it????

I drink loads of water during the day and so I do give dd water, but mindees don't drink it through choice.

I think balance is the key and diluting the squash very weakly.

I drank squash and milk etc as a child and I have perfect teeth.

My dentist said in an ideal world they would never drink any thing other than water or milk but then even eating things such as healthy raisins are bad for your teeth so she says a balanced healthy diet is the key, twice daily brushing and reg dental checks :thumbsup:

Each to their own I say :thumbsup:

mushpea
13-04-2009, 08:32 PM
[My dentist said in an ideal world they would never drink any thing other than water or milk but then even eating things such as healthy raisins are bad for your teeth so she says a balanced healthy diet is the key, twice daily brushing and reg dental checks :thumbsup:

Each to their own I say :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

acutually that reminds me of when it took my son to the denstist one time, i was told that it was better for him to snack on crisps than fruit as the acid in the fruit rots his teeth. i have always been careful regarding what they eat and thought i was doing the right thing by letting him snack on fruit but apparently not!
i guess everything in moderation.

flora
13-04-2009, 08:40 PM
[My dentist said in an ideal world they would never drink any thing other than water or milk but then even eating things such as healthy raisins are bad for your teeth so she says a balanced healthy diet is the key, twice daily brushing and reg dental checks :thumbsup:

Each to their own I say :thumbsup:

acutually that reminds me of when it took my son to the denstist one time, i was told that it was better for him to snack on crisps than fruit as the acid in the fruit rots his teeth. i have always been careful regarding what they eat and thought i was doing the right thing by letting him snack on fruit but apparently not!
i guess everything in moderation.[/QUOTE]

Apart from a few thigns in my life I try to apply this to most things.

I have to say I get fed up with the pc healthy eating brigade, now dont't get me wrong I know we have a major crisis on our hands with kids and their eating/dietry habits but the way some schools teach it is sooo balck and white.

I have a son who is like a stick and is so hung up on good or bad foods that I think this is equally unhealthy.

Equally I have two mindees who are overweight, and making some food bad and forbidden only make them sooo much more desirable.

Who knows, with out the benefit of hindsight we won't know if we have got it right :(

Roseolivia
14-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Mine drink water too. I have a fridge where they can get the water themselves so they have constant access to it as well. They sometimes have juice at teatimes or if we have a party but never fizzy drinks.

estrelas
14-04-2009, 07:26 AM
i give just water or milk

I have a water dispenser and the kids just love pouring there own :)

no one has demanded juice yet

We have milk with snack time

mushpea
14-04-2009, 07:33 AM
I have a water dispenser but its i my kitchen were the children cant reach as i didnt want the little ones soaking the floor, how do you ensure the children dont play with it and soak everything including themselves!

angeldelight
14-04-2009, 07:40 AM
? I have to say i woudnt just drink water all day, i have jucie, tea, coffee so feel its wrong of me to offer just water when it drink other stuff too.
what do you all let yours drink?

I had to laugh at that because I think like that too

But ........

I do not like any drink of any description only WATER - It has never done me any harm

I know it does seem boring and strange though and I know just where you are coming from and for that reason I offer a choice of both

I think like food children need a variety with their drinks but we do usually have milk or water with juice sometimes

But saying that water does not hurt either if you know what I mean ( I should know ha )

Angel xx

estrelas
14-04-2009, 07:40 AM
to be honest its quite stiff, its only small designed for little ones and its bright pink and blue.

It takes a bit of effort to press the button in, so only a bit comes out at once. I let them try first if they struggle i help, so far no spills. I don't think it would anyway

The parents all love it, my two year old spends ages trying to work it out :laughing: :laughing: , can't wait till he figures it out, will have my camera ready :laughing:

tammys-tots
14-04-2009, 07:45 AM
All mine drink water with an occasional juice in the day. They drink more in warm weather and it is always available, I ask throughout the day and make sure at mealtimes that a bit is drunk.:)

mine only drink water apart from when we go to toddler groups

huggableshelly
14-04-2009, 07:49 AM
water!

juice is offered at lunch time only, milk is offered at mid morning snack, youngest brings her own milk Mums choice.

the only one who crumbles about water is my Son but he has a cup of tea with me to make up for it.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-04-2009, 07:50 AM
so do you think i should discuss with the parents that the juice drinkers will be offered water during the day in their sports bottles but juice at meal times or is it ok to just go ahead and do it?

It is definately something that needs discussing. As a rule I don't give squash but will sometimes at lunch time. Mine are all used to water now and will ask for it.

mandy moo
14-04-2009, 07:58 AM
My own 2 boys have been brought up on milk and water, we very rarley have juice in the house, that goes for coke & lemonade etc too.
My policies state that I only offer water and milk so thats all that mindees get too.
Have had no child or parent compain so far..:)

Bushpig
14-04-2009, 07:59 AM
I supply water only. They drink enough juice at home. All parents are fine with this... especially a mum whose 2 kids NEVER drank water at home... she couldn't believe that they drank water at me! Was so chuffed :) :)

It's a supr habit to get kids into - drinking plain (healthy!) water.

The Juggler
14-04-2009, 11:20 AM
The little ones are easier to convert, the older ones are a lot harder:panic:

Older ones parents normally allow some juice. For the younger ones, sports bottles which aren't transparent can help, then they don't know who has got juice and who has got water.

Normally I offer water most of the day for the under-5's and only juice at mealtimes and only if they ask.

Nx

CCJD
14-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I give water, milk or "no added sugar" squash - normally a mixture during the day dependant on how much they have already drunk.

In an ideal world it would be great if children all drank water . We then wouldnt have to worry about tooth decay from natural fruit juices and sqaush, cancer from "no added sugar" squashes and lactose intolerances from milk.

From personal experience with my daughter I know however that if she only has water and never anything else she doesnt drink enough. She is prone to being on the constipated side and not drinking enough fluid affects this. This in turn stops her emptying her bladder properly and the result is that from 3 years old she has been on night time preventative antibiotics against urine infections and will be on them until she is 8 due to the number of infections she has.

So although children wont deprive themselves of enough water to kill them, not drinking enough, for some children, can also have serious consequences. It is important for children to consume enough fluid to keep many of their organs functioning properly and they are not always the best judge of how much is enough.

Everyone will have different experiences depending on their children, some have weak teeth and need to avoid juice altogether or some like my daughter have normal strength teeth but needs to drink a certain amount of fluid a day. Some will use juice as a stomach filler and will drink litres of sqaush if you let them!!!

I have one child here, who's mother does only want him drinking water, which is absolutely fine, but I would say he drinks around a third of what the others do and they're not massive guzzlers.

As with all things, best to taylor it to the children and parents you have. No one rule can possibly apply as every child is different (would be so much easier if they werent though!!)

PixiePetal
14-04-2009, 03:36 PM
I am finding this thread really interesting. All my mindees and my 2 drink water. DD, when a small tot coming off milk, refused juice so I decided to stick to water as it was cheaper to chuck away when she refused it :laughing:

At nearly 15, that is still what she drinks, does like OJ if it is smooth but needs water after as it does not take away a thirst like water.

DS is the same.

jeanybeany
14-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I offer milk, water and sugar free juice, also diluted pure juice. I usually give the little ones water for most of the day apart from the children whos parents send juice. I find the older ones enjoy water more! It is always available. I find one of my mindees will not drink water, they are nearly 2. So I give them juice at first and then just add more water to the beaker when they have a little left when they are not looking! It works always an empty beaker, but generally speaking I do what parents want. One parent has even put this as an answer in a questionnaire that their child is provided with juice and water so they have plenty to drink through out the day.

Sorry waffling now hope u know what I mean.....................:laughing:

mushpea
15-04-2009, 05:51 PM
have decided that all drinks will stay in the kitchen (new carpet in lounge) and that children old enough will have drinks of their choice in cups not sports bottles at home but when we go out they will have only water as they will be in sports bottles so close to teeth, also if have found that when we go out if they have juice they guzzle it all before we even get to our destiantion then we have to do several wee stops and they dont have any drink left for the day, with water today they hardly drank any when we were out.

Willowdancer
15-04-2009, 05:57 PM
I do milk or water as a rule but if it comes to it I will do v.well diluted sugar-free squash or pure juice. Whatever the parents want really.

I am hoping my mindees will follow the example my own kids set as even though we've never had a "water or milk only" policy here that's all they ever ask for. :D

westbrom44
15-04-2009, 06:10 PM
I offer water, milk, sugar free squash and watered down fruit juice.

I find the majority drink water, two have squash and one has 1 watered down fruit juice, but only one small glass a day. This child then has water or milk.

I usually go with what parents wish their children to have. I have found the most recent babies come to me liking water or milk only.

I have noticed that the children who drink sugar free squash, drink far more than those that drink water, but I dont think they are going thirsty.

I have been thinking of only offering milk or water.

Allie
15-04-2009, 06:16 PM
I always give free access to water in sports bottles, I find creating a competion about how many refills each child has works really well

Allie