PDA

View Full Version : fire blanket

paulapolly
13-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Hi
Ijust got registed and need a bit of help.Could anyone of you tell me where i have to put my fire blanket in the kitchen.Does it have to be mounted on the wall.

thanks Paula

misst104
13-04-2009, 06:54 PM
I had my pre-reg a few weeks ago and asked the inspector about this. She said it needs to be mounted on the wall as close as possible to the cooker/hob.

HTH xxx

ORKSIE
13-04-2009, 07:22 PM
My understanding was...It has to be mounted on a wall so that you can pull it out.
I may be wrong:blush:

Hebs
13-04-2009, 07:43 PM
:eek: mines still in the wrapper :p

another thing to add to my list :D

ORKSIE
13-04-2009, 08:09 PM
:eek: mines still in the wrapper :p

another thing to add to my list :D

:laughing: :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
13-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Mine is on the back of my kitchen door and can be pulled straight out. Usually covered by aprons but they are of in a second.

ORKSIE
13-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Does a fire blanket have an expiry date, i have neva used mine :rolleyes:

estrelas
14-04-2009, 07:19 AM
i can't put mine on the wall :panic: , its really close to the cooker tho, in a draw is this ok? not sure my landlord would let me drill the kitchen wall :eek:

deeb66
14-04-2009, 07:21 AM
i can't put mine on the wall :panic: , its really close to the cooker tho, in a draw is this ok? not sure my landlord would let me drill the kitchen wall :eek:

No.......I have seen reports where minders were in the same sort of situation as you and were marked down for having it in a drawer.........It has to be on a wall or cupboard.

Dee

deeb66
14-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Does a fire blanket have an expiry date, i have neva used mine :rolleyes:

I have never used mine either and it is now 11 years old.

I checke it monthly by carefully pulling open the seal and making sure that it is still intact and not falling to pieces. As it looks ok and is still in excellent condition I deem it safe.

Dee

Pudding Girl
14-04-2009, 07:23 AM
No it has to be on the wall. otherwise you can't pull it out in the proper way, all opened out in a second or two, you'd have to faff and unfold it and get it open etc etc valuable time wasted in a fire.

Make sure you put it nearish the cooker but not whereby you wouldn't be able to lean across to access it in case of a cooker fire. Mine is on the wall on a hook by the back door, adjacent wall to hob.

estrelas
14-04-2009, 07:27 AM
oh ok, thanks george

off to get the drill then :)

paulapolly
14-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I had my pre-reg a few weeks ago and asked the inspector about this. She said it needs to be mounted on the wall as close as possible to the cooker/hob.

HTH xxx

Thanks for that.

paula:) :thumbsup:

nokidshere
01-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Mine is on the inside of a cupboard door in the utility room. But it wouldn't have mattered where it was for my inspection - she never left the dining room table :angry:

TheBTeam
01-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't put it near the cooker, depending on the size of your kitchen i would put it somewhere that you can get to easily from either the cooker or the entrance to the kitchen, most of the time you will deal with a kitchen fire is you have just noticed on going into the kitchen, or you are standing at the cooker and will immediately move away to get the blanket.

It must be on the wall, i have mine discreetly behind my folding kitchen door and it is the wall opposite the cooker, the ofsted woman thought that this was ideal.

Lucky cos i only put it there because it is out of sight from passers by the kitchen and we don't tend to stand there and face that way:laughing: :laughing: