PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Monoxide Detector

elaineg
07-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Does anyone know if you have to have carbon monoxide detectors fitted, and if you doe are the stick on patches enough or does it have to be a proper monitor.

love Elaine
XXX

LittleMissSparkles
07-02-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm not sure but it doesnt hurt to have them, I dont have one though x

sarah707
07-02-2008, 01:40 PM
I have a stick on patch and I diary it for changing every 4 months. I have one in the kitchen by my gas cooker and one by my boiler.

I do not know if we have to have them for Ofsted - but I was advised to get them by the fire bridgade when they last came to check my house :D

Lou
07-02-2008, 01:41 PM
I dont think you "HAVE" to have them, but it would certainly be good practise i would think x

Trouble
07-02-2008, 01:42 PM
i have a proper on the wall job it costs 38.00 but can claim it back i bought it of the gas man when he checked the fire but this house has a bit of aproblem with fire and carbon monoxide so i know were safe. in fact i could of kept you entertained on the spooky thread which was on yesterday but thats another story)

when its tested its very loud next street would here it

sutherland
07-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I think it depends on what kind of fire you have, whether it is gas or electric. Though as mentioned, wouldnt harm to have one anyway, if it is one of those patch ones though, just remember that you have to remember to check it everyday, as it will obviously not beep a warning like the electric/battery ones.

HTH

angeldelight
07-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Yes I agree with Lou

I do not have one - but really I do think everyone should have one

We had a problem with a gas fire a few years ago and I was very ill when it was checked out there was carbon monoxide present in the room

Scary

We have a regualar yearly check now but still I think it is a good idea to have one and you have certainly made me think of it again

Angel xx

deeb66
07-02-2008, 01:44 PM
No you don't HAVE to have one but it is considered good practice.

I get mine from Wilkinson's they are about £7. They have a magnet on the back and need to be changed annually.

angeldelight
07-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks for that Dee I thought they were really expensive I will take a look at the weekend

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
07-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Yes I agree with Lou

I do not have one - but really I do think everyone should have one

We had a problem with a gas fire a few years ago and I was very ill when it was checked out there was carbon monoxide present in the room

Scary

We have a regualar yearly check now but still I think it is a good idea to have one and you have certainly made me think of it again

Angel xx

and you still don't have one?

As I'm in RAF housing they put them in, and check them yearly when doing some of the checks they always do:rolleyes:

I would def get one it's better to be safe than sorry:thumbsup:

angeldelight
07-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Yes terrible Emma I know

The fire had to be changed and we then had new central heating so we did not bother

Bad though I know

So I will get one

xxx

deeb66
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to Wilko you go :laughing: :laughing:

angeldelight
07-02-2008, 01:50 PM
la la la la la la

I will sing with you Dee haha

xx

son77
07-02-2008, 02:30 PM
I just bought a pack of 2 from asda for just £2.99

There are ones that change colour, don't know much more about them than that yet as they are still in the box :blush:

deeb66
07-02-2008, 02:31 PM

There are ones that change colour, don't know much more about them than that yet as they are still in the box :blush:

Don't think they will detect carbon monoxide in there ;) :D

son77
07-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I know, I know!!

I'll go and sort them out now............

.............well maybe in a minute or two!

ruby
07-02-2008, 03:57 PM
we have to have our gas boiler checked every year and get a certificate

i broguht one last year cost me about £29.00 but thought it was worth it

better to be safe than sorry

cathy and Rachel

manjay
07-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Think I will be alright. The gas supply hasn't quite made it to our village yet!!

amanda xx

buildingblocks
07-02-2008, 05:42 PM
chemist near us (think it is a LLoyds) has them on offer for £12.99 I think

jaz
08-02-2008, 04:11 PM
We were lucky, and when the gas man came to service the boiler, gave us one for free :jump for joy:

deeb66
08-02-2008, 04:13 PM

I know, I know!!

I'll go and sort them out now............

.............well maybe in a minute or two!

Did you manage to get them out of the box?

Or are they still detecting cardboard fumes :D

LittleAcorns
08-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Sorry to say this as I dont want to scare anyone, but I feel very strongly as a family members brother died from CM poisoning, not something thats really talked about.

Also my father in law is a plumber and recommends that everyone has one, he said youd be supprised how easily the gas can be present and we dont know, obviously worse case scenario is death, but if there is a small amount it just makes you feel unwell, ie headache and you'd never know it was that.

We got ours for £12.50, its like a smoke detector, it will let out a shring noise on detection of the gas

deeb66
08-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Sorry to say this as I dont want to scare anyone, but I feel very strongly as a family members brother died from CM poisoning, not something thats really talked about.

Also my father in law is a plumber and recommends that everyone has one, he said youd be supprised how easily the gas can be present and we dont know, obviously worse case scenario is death, but if there is a small amount it just makes you feel unwell, ie headache and you'd never know it was that.

We got ours for £12.50, its like a smoke detector, it will let out a shring noise on detection of the gas

I am sorry to hear that!

I am with you on this matter!!

I think they are just as important...if not more so than smoke alarms because as you say you have no other warning or signs that something is wrong.

I have used various different types for the last 6-7 years......I keep threatening to buy an electrical one but never seem to get around to it

LittleAcorns
08-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Dee the one weve got is from Lloyds pharmacy, but Asda do them at the same price xx

Blaze
08-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Got mine on ebay for a tenner...I wouldn't be without one!
Tasha:)

deeb66
08-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Dee the one weve got is from Lloyds pharmacy, but Asda do them at the same price xx

Thank you....will have a look....got to go to chemist tomorrow to fill my prescription.

Amaranth
08-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I got mine from costco, think it was about £25. Feel much safer having it there and knowing it is checking all the time. Kids wanted to know what it was when we first got it so had to explain about carbon monoxide and what it can do to you (didn't go into too much detail tho!) A couple of the kids even went home and told their parents that they had to get one too :)

LittleAcorns
08-02-2008, 08:43 PM
A couple of the kids even went home and told their parents that they had to get one too :)

Brilliant!!!! The fire brigade will give free smoke detectors out, I think CM detectors should also be available foc.

louise
08-02-2008, 09:10 PM
I think everyone should have one aswell. Me and my Mum suffer from bad Migranes and didnt think anything different when we were getting them. Then my lill sis who must have been about 5 started to complain of them and we thought she was copying us. I cant remember how we found out but CM was found aswell as a load of dead birds behind the gas fire!.

crazybones
08-02-2008, 09:13 PM
I think everyone should have one aswell. Me and my Mum suffer from bad Migranes and didnt think anything different when we were getting them. Then my lill sis who must have been about 5 started to complain of them and we thought she was copying us. I cant remember how we found out but CM was found aswell as a load of dead birds behind the gas fire!.

I have got my beer goggles on and read this as a "CM (childminder) and dead birds behind the gas fire." Had to read it 3 times before I realised what you meant lol :laughing:

Lets put the bottle away now

Annie x

LittleAcorns
08-02-2008, 09:33 PM
I have got my beer goggles on and read this as a "CM (childminder) and dead birds behind the gas fire." Had to read it 3 times before I realised what you meant lol :laughing:

Lets put the bottle away now

Annie x

LOL I defo have my BEER GOOGLES on hey its FRIDAY NIGHT xxxx

deeb66
10-02-2008, 10:02 AM

I got mine from Lloyds Pharmacy yesterday.

Was quite impressed with it....it is a battery operated one that looks like a smoke alarm.....it was half price and I paid £12.99 for it.

I didn't think that was bad as I usually pay £7 - £8 for a disposable one that lasts a year and as my exisitng one needs replacing in March thought this was ideal

Thank you

Mollymop
10-02-2008, 10:06 AM
I have a Fire Angel one that is fixed to the kitchen wall. It is very smart but cost over £40 I think. But it's worth it, as you never know, it may save a life.

On our ICP course we were told to get one, but I don't think you have to have one, but I would never be without mine.

Never had one in our last house, as we had no gas, just electric. How did I live without my central heating for so long??:panic:

deeb66
10-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Never had one in our last house, as we had no gas, just electric. How did I live without my central heating for so long??:panic:

I know what you mean Sandra.

I used to live in a flat where we had no gas only elctric and had to rely on storage heaters......when we moved and had central heating I wondered how on earth did we manage without it!

Mollymop
10-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I know what you mean Sandra.

I used to live in a flat where we had no gas only elctric and had to rely on storage heaters......when we moved and had central heating I wondered how on earth did we manage without it!

Storage heaters...the word makes me feel cold! Brrrr...:D

deeb66
10-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Storage heaters...the word makes me feel cold! Brrrr...:D

Yes...we used to literally fry at night when we were in bed but be freezing cold at 6pm as there was no heat left in the storage heater!!

We ended up buying seperate convector heaters which cost a fortune to run to stop us being cold in the evening.

I don't think I could ever live without central heating again!

Mollymop
10-02-2008, 11:33 AM
No me either Dee,

I had 8 years with storage heaters and in the winter we had to buy halogen heaters just to heat up a room.

Once in the summer (I remember it was about 2003 when we had that heatwave) Timmy turned on one of the storage heaters in my lounge and it took all day for it to lose heat. I was frying:laughing:

deeb66
10-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Once in the summer (I remember it was about 2003 when we had that heatwave) Timmy turned on one of the storage heaters in my lounge and it took all day for it to lose heat. I was frying:laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tily Bud
10-02-2008, 02:31 PM
i have a proper on the wall job it costs 38.00 but can claim it back i bought it of the gas man when he checked the fire but this house has a bit of aproblem with fire and carbon monoxide so i know were safe. in fact i could of kept you entertained on the spooky thread which was on yesterday but thats another story)

when its tested its very loud next street would here it

Me too xxxx