PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know about hamsters? *updated*

huggableshelly
12-04-2009, 07:29 PM
My hamster is very poorly!

He has what looks like his insides hanging out of his rear end and pooping all over the place not cleaning himself and basically I think he is almost a goner.

Anyone got any ideas on how I could help him ? I really dont think I can make him better but cant risk the children seeing him in such a bad state either. My own two children havent notices but they will ask questioned when he gets moved to another room.

ORKSIE
12-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Oh dear, that sounds bad! Think a trip to the vet may be in order. How long you had him?

huggableshelly
12-04-2009, 07:37 PM
we got him last xmas he was being naughty in the shop ... we could resist him making him roughly 17 months old.

None of the other hamsters have ever had this, first one died of old age at 2.5 the second one well he is still with us he is almost 4 now! so much for hamsters living for 2/3 years.

I think it will have to be the vets too but thats not possible till tues then I've got 8 kiddies with me. Gawd dont know what to do, I dont feel its right to call the nspca either. Will keep searching on the net.

ORKSIE
12-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Is the vet open in the morning for emergencies.

Hebs
12-04-2009, 07:40 PM
they can suffer from bowel prolapses its caused by the runs or having constipation, trip to the vets i think

:( hope hammy is ok x

huggableshelly
12-04-2009, 07:41 PM
is it curable do you know hebs?

Hebs
12-04-2009, 07:47 PM
it can be treated yes x

huggableshelly
12-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Is the vet open in the morning for emergencies.

no idea ... I honestly do not even know where the local vet is as never had the need for one. Time to look one up.

I've just looked up bowel prolapses and it reads up as what he has .... I didnt change his diet ot nothing but he has been drinking alot more causing diarrhea that has lead to further damage. I feel awful now, I should have tried to slow his drinking down.

flora
12-04-2009, 07:48 PM
He has a rectal prolapse which in larger animals can pop back in on it's own, but smaller animals tends to be rip, sorry :blush:

There is a very hich risk of infection with a proplapse, our pigs get them from time to time and sometimes it does go back in and then they pop off due to complications despite meds etc.

So sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Have you no way to despatch the little chap? I know I am so lucky I have Nige, Anything incurable he sorts out for me :thumbsup:

huggableshelly
12-04-2009, 07:48 PM
it can be treated yes x

ty Hebs ... I'll get him booked in asap hopefully Hubby can take him for me.

Hebs
12-04-2009, 07:50 PM
it could also be a condition called wet tail which sadly is a killer and hammy die within 24/48 hours

i'd ring your vet tomorrow :thumbsup:

huggableshelly
12-04-2009, 07:51 PM
He has a rectal prolapse which in larger animals can pop back in on it's own, but smaller animals tends to be rip, sorry :blush:

There is a very hich risk of infection with a proplapse, our pigs get them from time to time and sometimes it does go back in and then they pop off due to complications despite meds etc.

So sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Have you no way to despatch the little chap? I know I am so lucky I have Nige, Anything incurable he sorts out for me :thumbsup:

Hubby has gone to work for the night ... i cant do it he is so adorable, he was naughty in the shop biting the cage chewing the other hamsters ears but we bought him. He has eaten his way through 4 cages now, got him in a gerbariam which he has almost managed to bite through so he is a rather costly little thing to care for yet has never bitten anyone.

ORKSIE
12-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Hope he OK soon, poor little chap:(

huggableshelly
12-04-2009, 07:53 PM
ty all ...

hopefully he will recover but it doesnt look good. :( Might be in here balling my eyes out tomorrow or tues.:(

Joannechildmind
12-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi just seen the thread!!! my hamster had this 7 years ago and i took him to the vets and they put him to sleep :blush: sorry. He had a rectal prolapse and the vet told me there was nothing they could do.

Im really sorry!!! :(

huggableshelly
12-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Ty Joanne

I'm blubbering already, ok will prepare my kiddies for the worst, i already have a little box as was expecting Smokey the almost 4 year old to die but he keeps going on, poor thing cant chew food anymore I soak it for him but he is so placid.

Time for a glass of wine, I've got the local vet number and they are open tomorrow for emergancies only.

ORKSIE
12-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Oh good,Glad you can get to see someone.
I have a hamster the mindees love him. Her name is Georgie, cos we thought originally it was a boy.
I would be very sad too if i were in you position:(
Don't give up hope yet...you never know.
Let us know how things go:)

miffy
12-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Ty Joanne

I'm blubbering already, ok will prepare my kiddies for the worst, i already have a little box as was expecting Smokey the almost 4 year old to die but he keeps going on, poor thing cant chew food anymore I soak it for him but he is so placid.

Time for a glass of wine, I've got the local vet number and they are open tomorrow for emergancies only.

Sorry, it doesn't look good for hammy :(

If your vet is only open for emergencies tomorrow check how much they'll charge before you go as it could be very expensive.

Miffy xx

LOOPYLISA
12-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Im sorry hun, we have had hamsters ive not seen this though so i can.t comment, hope hes ok x

huggableshelly
13-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Rocket is gone, he fell asleep at the bottom of his cage last night but was still breathing.

This morning my Hubby came in from nights and my kiddies came down to him, he explained that Rocket would sleep forever now.

We put him in a box and as we have nowhere to bury him we have placed him outside for the animal fairies to collect him and take him to heaven.

I cleaned him out and bathed him yesterday, gave him a new bed too and was hoping to get him to the vets but its too late now.

My kiddies are fine, both understand and were aware that he was poorly. I've blubbered and feel so ill knowing I should have found emergancy help last night.

But atleast now he isnt in pain. Now to wait for the animal fairies. We will have a memorial after breakfast, I'm making a memorial image with something like thankyou for taking care of me, with love from Rocket or somethin like that.

TheBTeam
13-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Oh, poor you, you probably feel worse than the kids, hopefully kids are fairly resilient and will remember the little chap fondly.

My kids are coping extremely well with losing their nan in december, it has affected them a lot but they seem young enough to be protected from the full pain that we feel.

huggableshelly
13-04-2009, 09:46 AM
their take on it is that Grandad will now have a pet hamster in heaven to play with.

The cage is now fully cleaned out and ready to be put in the loft, Gemma and Ryan want a new hamster to replace him so that shows to me they are not effected as badly as I thought they would be.

Only one mindee maybe effected but I've text Mum a text .. the otrher all prefer the older hamster he just sits and doesnt mind being passed around but the one mindee loved Rocket he was naughty and fast which matched the mindees character too.

sighs oh well now I have space on the unit again for a bit!

ORKSIE
13-04-2009, 09:59 AM
My daughters hamster died on Christmas Eve morning IYSWIM (a few years ago now) she had bought him a pressie:( We buried him in a christmas card box with pressie:( She was inconsoleable. Lucky it was Christmas next day, cos Gizmo was forgotten :rolleyes:

Joannechildmind
13-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Rocket is gone, he fell asleep at the bottom of his cage last night but was still breathing.

My kiddies are fine, both understand and were aware that he was poorly. I've blubbered and feel so ill knowing I should have found emergancy help last night.

But atleast now he isnt in pain. Now to wait for the animal fairies. We will have a memorial after breakfast, I'm making a memorial image with something like thankyou for taking care of me, with love from Rocket or somethin like that.

Im sorry i was the bearer of bad news last night but thought he may go during the night and wanted to prepare you.

Please dont feel bad believe me there is nothing the vets could have done for him, you did all you could and made him confortable. It is a terrible time when they go i was soooo upset as they are lovely little things and you get very attached but some dont live that long at all mine was only 9 months old we he went. :( (we also lost another one 6 months ago how we loved very much too)
Hope you are all ok, you did all you could.
Sending love and hugs to you all.

Jo

LittleAcorns
13-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Sorry to hear that, poor lil chap, ...My daughter first gerbil became poorly and I took him to the vets, I knew he had cancer and wouldnt be coming home, thought id be ok taking him, but it broke my heart. hope you and kiddies are ok hun x

flora
13-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Rip little rocket, so sorry Shelley.

Sending you love and hugs xxxx

deeb66
13-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your hampster.

Lots of love

Dee
xx

sarah707
13-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh.... :( xx

huggableshelly
13-04-2009, 05:41 PM
ty all

I've busied myslef big time today, weeded the front garden mowed the front and back gardens had a declutter session in the junk room and feeling rather pleased with myself. We have used the base of the cage as a seedling incubater too.

Kiddies seem fine still so sorted!

LOOPYLISA
13-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Im sorry hun, glad the kids are ok :thumbsup: