PDA

View Full Version : Godparent to minded child ?

sunflower
11-04-2009, 05:59 PM
I have been asked by a mindees parent, if I would like to be Godmother to their daughter

Im not sure whether to except, my hubby thinks it’s a bit strange as I’m not like a friend /relative

Is anyone else godparents to their minded children?

Gizmo
11-04-2009, 06:01 PM
A friend of mine has her ds childminder as godparent she was over the moon to be asked :thumbsup: I think it shows how much they think about you

janiefear
11-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Yes, I am. They have become good friends through me minding their first child and then they asked me to be Godparent to their second child who I've minded since she was 4 months old - she's now nearly 3.

I've now known the family for nearly 6 years and I was very honoured to be asked.

Love Jane

Chatterbox Childcare
11-04-2009, 06:02 PM
I am really good friends with mindees and their parents and have gone on holidays with them for many years and we still see each other even though the children are too old to come to me (14 and 17).

I think it shows how much they think of you and how you are with the children.

LOOPYLISA
11-04-2009, 06:05 PM
My best friends dd goes to a cm, its also her godmother :thumbsup:

TheBTeam
11-04-2009, 06:11 PM
I have just voted on this poll and then i looked at the % of yes/no votes very interesting, it is a really emotive subject. I personally am not sure i would ever feel that close to be able to want or even to be asked to do it.

Maybe it is because i have younger children of my own, that i have a detachment, in that although i care for the children and become fond of them i can not see me being that close ever. i do not have the confidence to get that close to the parents, my parental relationships are more superficial, and although we tell each other things etc i don't think i would be overly comfortable going out/meeting up with them.

Having said that i did go to a ub40 concert with one set of parents, and i felt very uncomfortable at the thought of it, and initially i wasn't very happy with the thought of sharing the outing. The parents said i went up in their estimation after seeing me, i think they didn't think i could ever let loose, and were pleasantly surprised that i could have fun with adults not just kids!!:blush: :laughing:

Toothfairy
11-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Yes, I am going to be God Mother to mindee who is starting with me in July, but I have been friends with her Parents for about 4 years.

Alibali
11-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I am, but have been friends with parents for years before lo was born.

Blaze
11-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I personally wouldn't because I prefer to keep a professional distance IYSWIM...but each to their own.:)

ORKSIE
11-04-2009, 09:09 PM
I am a God Parent to one of my Ex mindees sister... does that make sence?
I never minded the child I am GodParent to, just her older sister :rolleyes:
Even I'm:confused: now
:laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
11-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Sorry... but Joybells, I love your avatar:laughing:

sue m
11-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm Godmother to an ex mindee, she is 15 now but I looked after her brother and her. Mum was our doctor but not actually seen them for a while now. I was so surprised when she asked me.

Shar
12-04-2009, 07:31 AM
I am not a godparent but I have been left 2 mindees in a will!!:panic: I have cared for the children for 8 years now but 5 years ago the parents went off to make a will and then droped the bomshell:eek: Every day I say a prayer as the mum goes off to work on her moped!! Think I would rather be a godparent.

Daftbat
12-04-2009, 02:29 PM
I was asked to be a god parent a while ago and turned it down but only for the reason that i am not religious at all and think it would not be the right thing to do. I took it as a great compliment though and the parent was happy about my decision and the reasons behind it.

Roseolivia
12-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Only if mindee was a close friends child (which my godson/mindee is).
It's a hard one as i try to keep business seperate from personal but if you've known the family for years that may be different!!

westbrom44
12-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Yes, if I was comfortable with it.

I have 2 children who have moved away, and they still keep in touch, sending photos, christmas cards and emails. They have even visited me when they have been over this way. I think it is lovely that still care.

sue m
12-04-2009, 07:44 PM
It's great that isn't it. I get regular emails from ex mindees Mums and phone calls and they visit sometimes even though I'm 1hr 40 mins away now. Always get birthday and Christmas cards too. Some of the little ones are late teens or 20 now. Some are 11, some are 15 or so.

sue
12-04-2009, 09:29 PM
l,ve been luckly as l have known both sets of parent since they were children and now looking after their children sometime it makes me feel old :blush:
but yes if l was asked l would have no problem with this and be delight

tinkerbelle
13-04-2009, 02:43 PM
i am godparent to 2 of my mindes who are also my neice and nephew
im also godparent to a mindee who isnt related and i occassionally go out drinking with some of my mums iv even looked into camping hols with one family so yes go for it