PDA

View Full Version : Christmas?

Hebs
11-04-2009, 02:25 PM
i know it's ages away

BUT

what do/ would you do if you had a mindee who didn't celebrate christmas??

We have always put our decorations up on the 30th November ready for the kids getting up on the 1st december

how does this work if your mindees don't celebrate??

I understand that we have to respect their religion, but surely this is a 2 way thing??

helenlc
11-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I think that its a 2 way thing.

If you were to have a child who didnt celebrate Christmas, then I am sure they would have festivals that they celebrate. As long as you do these, then you are seeing to everybody's needs iyswim?

Hebs
11-04-2009, 02:28 PM
oh yes we would celebrate all festivals

just wasn't sure about christmas :blush:

tulip0803
11-04-2009, 02:31 PM
I celebrate it alongside other festivals. Had 2 children a couple of years ago that celebrated Kwanzaa at around the same time, another that celebrated Bodhi Day on the 8th Dec. So we all did things about those festivals too.

Blackhorse
11-04-2009, 02:32 PM
I agree that it should be a 2 way thing....
also we are encouraged to do multicultural things with the kids .... like I am planning to celebrate chinese new year with the kids next year...even if there aren't any chinese mindees here iyswim.
so wouldn't that be the same with christmas for the mindee that you have? he can get to know all about christmas (and since he is not with you on the 25th I guess he won't be celebrating it as such..)
I also think that there is no getting away from christmas anyways..it will be on all radio stations, tv, shops, streets, restaurants etc etc etc

I would probably discuss it with the parents though to see what their thoughts are on the subject.
But I don't think you should 'cancel' all your xmas activities because of one child as then all the other ones would miss out....but maybe some kind of balancing act would be required so you don't have only christmas things happening all the time....

Not sure if this is helpful, but I am sure someone who knows better will come along soon

Hebs
11-04-2009, 02:44 PM
sorry i don't have any mindees where this would be an issue at the moment

just wanted to clarify it :thumbsup: just in case

miffy
11-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I celebrate it alongside other festivals. Had 2 children a couple of years ago that celebrated Kwanzaa at around the same time, another that celebrated Bodhi Day on the 8th Dec. So we all did things about those festivals too.

I think that's a good way to cover it. :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Mollymop
11-04-2009, 05:07 PM
This proved difficult for me last xmas. I looked after a child who was Muslim. Mum and dad didn't want him to do any activities where xmas was concerned.

Nothing

Luckily he was only here for 4 hours 3 days a week so I could get around it, but he still saw my xmas tree and all the children still spoke about father christmas arriving soon.

I think the parents were a little hypocritical (sp?) , especially when I saw Mum in town with the child watching the xmas lights being turned on.:rolleyes:

Heaven Scent
11-04-2009, 07:43 PM
I think if parents don't want their children to celebrate other festivals then they should find a minder of the same belief as themselves and then everything will be fine - they would just ask the minder not to allow their child to celebrate other festivals.

I don't think anyone can expect people not to celebrate their own festivals in their own families.