PDA

View Full Version : 'correcting' their pics

mushpea
11-04-2009, 01:54 PM
hi when you do a project with thekids that includes making a picture do you let them do their own thing or do you make them stick to what the picture should be, for instance we are going to make st georges day flags, red tissue paper for the cross and cotton wool for the white bits, should i ensure they stick the right colours in the righ places so it looks like the flag or should i explain what they are supposed to do then let them get on with it , the children will be age 2yrs and 3yrs.

Pauline
11-04-2009, 01:58 PM
I always make one first and stick it on the wall by the table so that they can see what they should be doing.

But with children of that age I would really just let them do their own thing while pointing to what I have done in the hope that they will be guided, but freedom to experiment is more important than all going home with identical pics - in my opinion that is! :)

FussyElmo
11-04-2009, 01:59 PM
I just let mine get on with it she is two and she just enjoys the activity I always tell the mum what it was supposed to be :)

sonia ann
11-04-2009, 02:01 PM
I always make one first and stick it on the wall by the table so that they can see what they should be doing.

But with children of that age I would really just let them do their own thing while pointing to what I have done in the hope that they will be guided, but freedom to experiment is more important than all going home with identical pics - in my opinion that is! :)

exactly what I do:)

ORKSIE
11-04-2009, 02:16 PM
I also just let them get on with it, its there piece of art work at the end of the day.
I hate it when children come out of play group with a piece of art work and it is obviouse they hav'nt done it themselfs :(
It dosnt matter if it dosnt look how it "should" look, cos to that child it perfect :)

Gizmo
11-04-2009, 02:19 PM
I would let them make their own "masterpieces" as well:laughing:

tulip0803
11-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Definately let them get on with it. I always prefer the pictures that are obviously my children's own work to something that has been "helped" along:D

helenlc
11-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I let them make their own, but as others have said, give an idea of what it should look like.

We did paper dolls for our Jobs People Do theme. The results from my then 2 yr old mindee were hilarious but they were his efforts nonetheless!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
11-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I let them do their own thing and hope it resembles what I had planned!

breezy
11-04-2009, 05:05 PM
I show or tell them what the idea is then let them loose for their own interpretation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

helenlc
11-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Just to add that when children do a drawing and they say This is Helen or This is a cat, I write that on the bottom of the paper. That way, when its taken home, Mum and Dad can ask about the picture of me or the cat, etc.

I think its important for children to have their works of art recognized for what THEY intended it to be. And its also frustrating for children when people cannot see what they drew - when they are convinced it looks obvious what it is.:laughing:

In regards to them making it look like what you want it to be, same again - you can write what its supposed to be even if it looks nothing like it should.

ORKSIE
11-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Yes Helen i do that too, cos usually by he time they get picked up I have forgotten what the picture was :laughing: :laughing:

TheBTeam
11-04-2009, 06:02 PM
I too would give them a sample for guidance, and write on the back, 'X's St Georges day flag'.

I also write what they tell me they have done on free art stuff, again to help the parents and to give the child recognition for what they have created.

It is much better to see what the child can really do than what the adult can do.

I say I but i always mean WE!!

helenlc
11-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Yes Helen i do that too, cos usually by he time they get picked up I have forgotten what the picture was :laughing: :laughing:

That as well, yes!! :blush:

her8y
11-04-2009, 06:28 PM
:jump for joy: In my opinion its the process of doing the activity which they learn from and there is nothing worse than all of the pictures looking the same. Each child is unique and so should their work be..but thats just my opinion:blush:
I often make a sample one then leave them to have the freedom to express their take on it. I have seen the funniest looking sheep this week.,..one was covered in pink feathers!:laughing:

I have cut out speech bubbles and scribe what the children say about their picture or art work and the children then stick it onto the back or front of their masterpiece. I always say "tell me about your picture" if I am unsure what they intended it to be

I do a mixture of adult themed/lead with an sample and child initiated/free flow arts and crafts...

Lady Haha
11-04-2009, 07:42 PM
I really enjoyed reading this thread! I admit I'm guilty of giving that 'helping' hand at times, but now I can see that the kids should be given the freedom to 'create'!

Blaze
11-04-2009, 08:54 PM

This is what I do...regardless of the age group.:)

sue
12-04-2009, 09:45 PM
find it hard not to get involved and telling then what and where they should put things but getting better my 4yr old painted Easter eggs without any input from me (l was inpress with them but amazed that l could hold my tongue that a first for me:blush: )

ORKSIE
12-04-2009, 09:50 PM
find it hard not to get involved and telling then what and where they should put things but getting better my 4yr old painted Easter eggs without any input from me (l was inpress with them but amazed that l could hold my tongue that a first for me:blush: )

Yep I know what you mean it is hard not to try and put things right for them. But I have got better at keeping my fingers to myself over the years:laughing:

miffy
12-04-2009, 09:56 PM

I do the same! :)

Miffy xx

mushpea
13-04-2009, 07:32 AM
thanks for your oppinons, this is more or less what i do aswell but wasnt sure if ofsted and the eyfs prefered us to get them to do what the picture is meant to be rather than their own interpretation.
when i worked in the nursery they always did an example picture then we just had to let the kids get on with it, one child always painted her whole picture with glue and never stuck anything on it!
I now have a child that paints all the page with the same colour paint all over, she never does a pattern or 'picture' as such , just covers the whole page, i have experimented with giving her different tools to use, sponges etc but she stll uses that tool to cover the whole page , mum worked a preschool and on one of her courses she was told that children do this because they want to keep their pictures a secret?
anyway i will continue to do my examples and let them get on with how they want to do things then.

Willowdancer
13-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I would just let her get on with it. Judging by the pictures that my 4yo twins bring home from nursery its quite clear that one of them is just into painting all over with the same colour and the other tends to have a go at painting a "proper" picture.

I will have to sit on my hands when my mindees are painting I think. Being the art and crafty sort I know I'd find it hard to keep my hands off or not try to steer them the way things are supposed to look :laughing:

SandCastles
14-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I read this thread with interest as I am guilty of correcting pictures/painting etc... I have decided to stop doing this straight away and learn to sit on my hands. Maybe I can paint my own picture while they do theirs, or do the same activity as them, while they are doing theirs, just to keep busy.