PDA

View Full Version : your thoughts please

Blackhorse
10-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi,

I am thinking about different things that I would like to do with the kids (for when I finally get registered and manage to get mindees...)

So I thought I could adopt an animal from WWF or some place like that. They send you pictures and updates every few months, so I could have a little wall display for the adopted animal.

I already have cats and a fishtank and a bug farm in the house, but I think I would like to use the adopted animal to teach them about conservation, exotic animals etc etc

Do you think that is a good idea? Also do you think I could put that through my books as childminding expense?

huggableshelly
10-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I have an adopted pig who is too far away to visit, I've enver seen him for real neither have the children (obviously). My children lost interest rather quickly, I didnt put it through my books as its something I chose to do for my own children.

Are you able to visit the animal with minded children?

Blackhorse
10-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I was thinking of tigers, dolphines, whales etc... so no visits there I am afraid..
but I wouln't want to do it if they loose their interest in it quickly...:panic:

LittleMissSparkles
10-04-2009, 12:44 PM
We have decided to help towards training for the guide dogs for the blind the mindees and my children love that idea and it is something closer to home iyswim x

Lady Haha
10-04-2009, 12:50 PM
wow, I love that idea!!!! I will be stealing it off you now!!!:laughing:

Or theres the Dogs Trust, all the kids I mind love dogs, so that would be nice.

Polly2
10-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I think its a lovely idea - I was thinking of doing it myself just haven't got round to it yet.

At my sons school they have adopted an orangatan called Koyah and he has relly enjoyed learning about him!

Pedagog
We have a couple of adopted animals.

Kellogg's currently have a n offer where you can adopt a monkey for free.

We also sponsor a child in Ecuador, my children chose to sponsor a child as their Christmas present a few years back. We exchange letters and pictures monthly.

Blackhorse
wow, I love that idea!!!! I will be stealing it off you now!!!:laughing:

Or theres the Dogs Trust, all the kids I mind love dogs, so that would be nice.

hihi..no problem...

I haven't decided what animal to adopt yet...
saying that before I got my cats I used to have a dog at the dogs trust...
I was just wondering if maybe an exotic animal might be better as it is more unusual...what I mean is that kids get to see dogs and cats a lot anyways...but maybe again they would prefer it ...ahh just can't decide

Blackhorse
10-04-2009, 01:04 PM
We have a couple of adopted animals.

Kellogg's currently have a n offer where you can adopt a monkey for free.

We also sponsor a child in Ecuador, my children chose to sponsor a child as their Christmas present a few years back. We exchange letters and pictures monthly.

I like your idea about sponsoring a child...:clapping: :clapping:
that reminds me.. I know a little village school in india and still have their contact details. ( I went trekking through india and nepal in a lot of rural areas..which was great so that's how I met them)
Maybe they would be interested in a pen-pal/sponsorship kind off arrangement....need to find out more

Polly2
10-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Sounds great getting letters etc kids can learn so much from that!

huggableshelly
10-04-2009, 01:39 PM
a nursery I worked at did sponser a child, we were a small nursery but we all chipped in allowing the child to have the funding she needed.

I like the idea of doing that again rather than adopting another animal.

westbrom44
10-04-2009, 01:51 PM
I like this idea. My children adopted a pony each at Redwings Horse Sanctuary. We received photographs and information regularly. I will definitely look into this again.

I will put it through my books.

Demonjill
10-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Adopting an endangered animal is a fab idea,teaching children not just about the animal but what is happening in the world and why animals are dying out etc. A pic wall is a great idea and you can add to it all the time with diff pics, info etc. You could expand it as much as you liked. :thumbsup: say it was a tiger you could make up a story sack with tiger book, soft toy, model tigers, coloring in, etc there is endless possibilities with this idea. Well done!:clapping:

breezy
10-04-2009, 04:13 PM
They all sound like great ideas to me!

We adopted two horses at the local animal sanctuary and we regularly visit them, take them carrots and gingernut biscuits which they love !
you cant feed them yourselves, the food gets handed in to staff, but the kids love thinking they've taken the horses their tea!!! Except dd who resents sharing biscuits:blush:

I keep trying to adopt Monkey1 but she's not having any of it:( :laughing:

Tatia
10-04-2009, 04:19 PM
We adopted a reindeer in the Cairngorm herd and got to visit it last summer (me, hubby and DD; not the mindees).

I think it's a great idea. I wanted to sponsor a child, as well but never seemed to get it in gear to set it all up.

breezy
10-04-2009, 04:56 PM
We adopted a reindeer in the Cairngorm herd and got to visit it last summer (me, hubby and DD; not the mindees).

I think it's a great idea. I wanted to sponsor a child, as well but never seemed to get it in gear to set it all up.

you can sponsor one of mine if you like, pm me and I'll let you know where to send monthly cheque:laughing:

Blackhorse
10-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Adopting an endangered animal is a fab idea,teaching children not just about the animal but what is happening in the world and why animals are dying out etc. A pic wall is a great idea and you can add to it all the time with diff pics, info etc. You could expand it as much as you liked. :thumbsup: say it was a tiger you could make up a story sack with tiger book, soft toy, model tigers, coloring in, etc there is endless possibilities with this idea. Well done!:clapping:

I love your idea with the story sack....
you are right ...the possibilities to expand on this as great...never thought of it that way yet...

now will definately do it!

jibberjitz
10-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Sounds like a great idea :thumbsup: