PDA

View Full Version : Making time...how??

Willowdancer
09-04-2009, 06:06 PM
"Yeah go on, be a childminder" said The Brain. "It'll be easy peasy - one short college course and a first aid certificate under your belt and you can spend all day playing with kids and getting paid for it."

"Cool! Let's do it!!" said I, naively trusting The Brain. :laughing:

I know I'm only 4 days in but how on earth do you find the time for planning, paperwork and housework??

I feel done in already! Every night this week I've been in a semi-coma from about 7pm onwards and have barely been able to drag my backside off the sofa to go to bed after being on the go with 5 kids in the house since shortly after 8am.

When do you manage to get things done? I've done no paperwork (apart from my register) at all for my new 7yo and 10yo this week, although to be honest I don't really know what I should be doing for them. My kitchen needs a serious blitzing, the lounge and my registered bedroom need a serious tidy up and the bathroom needs doing but my energy levels feel like less than zero.

I'm not really a morning person any more - don't know why as when I was younger I was certainly up and at 'em with the dawn chorus. I guess I shall have to try to get that back again or start knocking back the Pro Plus :rolleyes:

Any tips??

FussyElmo
09-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Im sorry hun but you just have made me laugh:laughing:

That is my life on a regular basis Im sitting in the other room while my children finish trashing the house and my mindees have been older ones. Housework gets done when it gets done I try and do bits through the day but will set us all on in a min (honest) and it will get done (probably).

Paperwork is the same other people will be better advised as im looking at the pile on the desk and thinking tomorrow then.

Pretty sure you dont have to do any paper work like you do with the efys for the older children. I do a sort of learning journey but more of a photo book of us doing things no obs or planning.

It gets better (laughing again) with the organisation of everything so they tell me and ive been doing this for 3 and 1/2 years and still not organised.

Hope someone comes on with better tips than me so I can pinch some.

Have finished today so promise promise I will tidy up and do the ironing and catch up with paperwork.

Welcome to the world of childminders. In alternative universe my other self is a Stepford wife who polishing ironing etc while I sit here watching my ds (2) run round with pink bunny ears on barking.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
09-04-2009, 06:29 PM
:) As time goes on you will become more organised, you are still finding your feet, it will all work out in the end. Trust me, I'm a Childminder!!:D

Monkey1
09-04-2009, 06:33 PM
:) As time goes on you will become more organised, you are still finding your feet, it will all work out in the end. Trust me, I'm a Childminder!!:D

?????????? I have been doing this for years and i am still struggling to fit it all in and as for organised................that word isn't in my vocabulary!!!:D

ORKSIE
09-04-2009, 06:35 PM
?????????? I have been doing this for years and i am still struggling to fit it all in and as for organised................that word isn't in my vocabulary!!!:D

LOL, I was trying to help the lady, now look what you gone and done:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Monkey1
09-04-2009, 06:39 PM
LOL, I was trying to help the lady, now look what you gone and done:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Don't lead the poor girl into a faulse sense of security!:D

Willowdancer
09-04-2009, 06:42 PM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
09-04-2009, 06:43 PM

:D :D Ok
:laughing: :laughing: You will neva find time to do all the things that need doing, you will be up till all hours doing Risk Assessments:laughing:
Is that better :thumbsup:

Monkey1
09-04-2009, 06:45 PM
:D :D Ok
:laughing: :laughing: You will neva find time to do all the things that need doing, you will be up till all hours doing Risk Assessments:laughing:
Is that better :thumbsup:

Yeah, tell her how it is!:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
09-04-2009, 06:46 PM
I think you have picked the wrong time to start childminding and do your paperwork. School holidays are a nightmare.

I started at 7.30 and finished at 6pm and then have been snoring by 10pm every night this week. The paperwork can wait until they are back at school

It does get easier - promise!

rickysmiths
09-04-2009, 06:48 PM

Well here can I help.

I've been doing it so long ( 15 years) i've fogotten that word ???????...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!:laughing:

Mind you it's more likly because I have my own dh, 16yr and 14yr to feed, cloth, run around after!!!!!!:clapping: :clapping:

Perhaps it's age after all, oh no its caught up and I've spent all those years running:laughing: :laughing:

jeanybeany
09-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Love all your replies, made me smile and laugh:) :) :) :) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
09-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Well here can I help.

I've been doing it so long ( 15 years) i've fogotten that word ???????...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!:laughing:

Mind you it's more likly because I have my own dh, 16yr and 14yr to feed, cloth, run around after!!!!!!:clapping: :clapping:

Perhaps it's age after all, oh no its caught up and I've spent all those years running:laughing: :laughing:

That is my life to a tee.:laughing: Been CM for same amont of years, got 2 children same age as yours:thumbsup:

Shar
09-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I agree with Deb, it does get easier. Term time it's ok, school hols forget it!! Weekends it's housework, paperwork, wife, mother, shopping, etc... That's why I need a 10 day break from work so I can be me!!!! Stay in jim-jams, not set alarm, open a bottle of wine anytime, talk to DH, etc... if i'm lucky!!! I love holidays from work.:thumbsup:

LisaH
09-04-2009, 07:06 PM
I don't even attempt to do any paperwork during school holidays!!!:laughing: I do my register and accounts and if I don't have time for the rest it's tough:laughing:

Willowdancer
09-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks for making me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ok, won't even consider paperwork other than my register until after the hols, but if I don't really have to do anything much anyway then I'm not dreading the summer hols (yet :laughing: )

Just working up to getting off me bum and having a bit of a tidy up though. Mindees might be gone for 5 days but the inlaws are descending on us at 11am tomorrow :eek:

TheBTeam
09-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks for making me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ok, won't even consider paperwork other than my register until after the hols, but if I don't really have to do anything much anyway then I'm not dreading the summer hols (yet :laughing: )

Just working up to getting off me bum and having a bit of a tidy up though. Mindees might be gone for 5 days but the inlaws are descending on us at 11am tomorrow :eek:

You could get the in laws to help with the tidying up!:laughing: :D

Blackhorse
09-04-2009, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=
Just working up to getting off me bum and having a bit of a tidy up though. Mindees might be gone for 5 days but the inlaws are descending on us at 11am tomorrow :eek:[/QUOTE]

Just get the inlaws to do some work!! Get all your cleaning equipement out for them so it is ready for 11 am...and tell them you are now a VIP (If childminders are not very important persons than I don't know who..:-) ) and that you have a day at the spa to attend to!!!

helenlc
09-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I realized this afternoon that I desperately need to do my paper work - I was putting away the box of paints in the cupboard under the stairs and I knocked my pile of paper work.

So there I am - balancing paper work on my shoulder and holding the box of paints up!!! Trying to decide whether to save the box of paints or my paperwork!!! Trying to work out which would make the lesser mess!!

In the end I managed to shoulder (literally) the paper work into a spare space (only cos hubby had a box file out from that space!) and then place the box of paints back where it should be.

My plan in to re-do some policies this weekend and catch up on paper work - but now I dont even want to open the cupboard door!!!:eek:

Welcome to the world of childminding!!!

I do a scrapbook for my 8 yr old mindee - take photos, keep cinema stubs/tickets etc. At my Ofsted inspection last year, she liked that I asked the older ones what they wanted to do, so maybe design some sort of sheet where they can list things they would like to do in the future. Just do the register for now and enjoy the holidays!!

Lady Haha
09-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Blast! I thought I'd done so well this week! Spent the last few weeks getting up together with my paperwork and SEF and I only have a few odds and ends to get done now. Then I read this thread and realise I forgot to do a risk assessment for our bowling trip today!!! I have done loads of standard ones for the park, softplay, etc, places we go regularly and I have a set of blank ones ready for occasions such as today:rolleyes:

I will do it now, better late than never, ay!

rickysmiths
09-04-2009, 10:54 PM
That is my life to a tee.:laughing: Been CM for same amont of years, got 2 children same age as yours:thumbsup:

Hey you must be the twin I've been looking for! :eek:

I am so busy and have a new sibbling wanting to start in Aug, I've been telling my parents I need a twin sister and you've been here all the time! :clapping: Where do you live? ! :laughing:

I'm in the process of employing an assistant!

huggableshelly
10-04-2009, 07:11 AM
I've been thinking about having an assistant just so I can get paperwork done during working hours but might be better off with acleaner so I'm not scrubbing on sundays!

My paperwork is normally done on a friday night with a glass of wine (no wonder it never tallies up lol)

My over 5's all have a scrapbook, they fill it themselves with what they like, I add a comment somewhere along the line!

My under 5's have a scrapbook we do together and their obs folder which ugh its my job lol.

I've only had one mindee this wk and done no planning as such other than outings and risk assessments.

Next wk I have 7 including my own 2 so planning today otherwise I'll be bald by the end of tues let alone the rest of the wk! no outsings other than the park as car isnt big enough!

Lottie
10-04-2009, 09:31 AM
I find the mornings are always more productive if I have woken up early enough!

ORKSIE
10-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Hey you must be the twin I've been looking for! :eek:

I am so busy and have a new sibbling wanting to start in Aug, I've been telling my parents I need a twin sister and you've been here all the time! :clapping: Where do you live? ! :laughing:

I'm in the process of employing an assistant!
Hey Sis:clapping: LOL
Not sure how i would get on with an assistant, too stuck in my ways, although myself and another CM that lives close by do alot of stuff together, which suits me fine:thumbsup:
Let us know how you get on:)
I live in Cambs:thumbsup:

Willowdancer
10-04-2009, 10:26 PM
I did very little today :clapping:

Spot of tidying (but roped in DH as well of course), inlaws turned up and brought lunch with them, sat on my bum yelling at the kids (joking, mostly!), made them all go to bed early and watched The Princess Bride and the new Red Dwarf so I got some me time and now I'm just chilling for a while before falling into bed :laughing:

ORKSIE
10-04-2009, 10:31 PM
I have had a very lazy day, no mindees, so family time.
Played pitch and Putt this morning, didnt do very well but enjoyed the walk:)

Willowdancer
10-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Ooh fun! We have a putting green at our park but I think I will have to give that place a wide berth for a while or I'll probably end up on prozac :rolleyes:

ORKSIE
10-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Mmmm i got cross, cos the ball didnt do what i wanted it to:laughing: :laughing:

Willowdancer
10-04-2009, 11:02 PM
It wasn't the ball. It was the club - its always the club :laughing:

ORKSIE
10-04-2009, 11:04 PM
:laughing: :laughing: i was blaming the ball... sorry ball.:laughing:

Willowdancer
10-04-2009, 11:06 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: - sorry, have had a glass of port and now I've got the giggles :laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
10-04-2009, 11:07 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: - sorry, have had a glass of port and now I've got the giggles :laughing: :laughing:

Ha i have had a glass or three of cider :laughing: :laughing:

Willowdancer
10-04-2009, 11:09 PM
I haven't had cider for years - not since than poncey K stuff was all the rage when I was at Uni :laughing:

ORKSIE
10-04-2009, 11:12 PM
K stuff??
I having strongbow, but this is my last glass or i will be giggling too:laughing: :laughing:

Willowdancer
10-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I think it was K - bit like Diamond White but came in a black bottle and might have been marginally stronger (so much cooler for a Uni student :laughing: )

We also used to have various bizarre cider "cocktails" - can't remember what they used to mix it with but you could get them in purple, green and red :eek:

ORKSIE
10-04-2009, 11:23 PM
I think it was K - bit like Diamond White but came in a black bottle and might have been marginally stronger (so much cooler for a Uni student :laughing: )

:panic: :panic: LOL "The good old days for me" Now i only have to have more than a couple or four glasses of alcohol and i'm giggling. think its my age. LOL
At the weekend you have to let your hair down me thinks:thumbsup:

Willowdancer
10-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Yeah that's how I think of them too, and its definitely age related.

I've had one practically-zero-alcohol glass of white wine and a small port and will probably have to roll to bed at this rate!!! :eek:

ORKSIE
10-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Yeah that's how I think of them too, and its definitely age related.

I've had one practically-zero-alcohol glass of white wine and a small port and will probably have to roll to bed at this rate!!! :eek:

:laughing: :laughing: Welcome to my world :)

Willowdancer
10-04-2009, 11:31 PM
I have to say this makes a change for me.

My Friday nights are usually spent ferrying DH and my dad to and from the pub while I sit here with my mum and mind the kids, but we forgot it was Friday as we haven't worked today so DH didn't go to the pub and I haven't had to drive :laughing:

ORKSIE
10-04-2009, 11:33 PM
I have to say this makes a change for me.

My Friday nights are usually spent ferrying DH and my dad to and from the pub while I sit here with my mum and mind the kids, but we forgot it was Friday as we haven't worked today so DH didn't go to the pub and I haven't had to drive :laughing:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Willowdancer
10-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Anyway, I've now chucked about 1/2 my glass of port down my front which is always a good indication that I should go to bed so I'll be off up the wooden hill now.

Thank goodness for having the sense to have worn black clothes, is all I can say :laughing:

ORKSIE
10-04-2009, 11:53 PM
:laughing: :laughing: Best be off then :waving:

westbrom44
11-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Welcome to the world of childminding.

I have been childminding for 5 years now, and I still plan to do my paperwork as the children play quietly! Yes, you guessed, I never do!

I do observations as I see them on post it notes and put them in my pending folder. I usually end up doing paperwork at the weekend.

I often fall asleep at 7pm and my eldest son cant understand how I can fall asleep so early.

I am lucky that I have a cleaner, now. I still have to clean though on a daily basis. I usually hoover first thing in the morning, before the children arrive.

I can honestly say though, that I love my job.

Demonjill
11-04-2009, 08:32 AM

We also used to have various bizarre cider "cocktails" - can't remember what they used to mix it with but you could get them in purple, green and red :eek:

Yeah it was "K" and was super strong it was black with a big red K on it if i remem right lol:laughing: