PDA

View Full Version : Scam

Jules12Wed
09-04-2009, 05:17 PM
This has been emailed to Childminders in my area:

Dear Childminders,

We would like to advise you of a potential scam aimed at Childminders which has just been highlighted in one of our neighbouring boroughs. The following email was received by a Childminder:

'My name is Ian reed and i am british american. At present,i am looking for a childminder for my 3year old grand-daughter,that would be moving to the uk with me.. my daughter and her husband died in a california inferno i am in search for a child minder who would be with her during the day
i would like to know if you can offer your services. i would like to know your
1... your exact location
2....your charges (per hour....perday) depending on how you
have always given your services.
In regards to your fees,i would be happy to ask my client to post a certified uk cheque to you in advance for deposit and booking of your services.every other arrangements would be done upon my arrival ...I would be happy if you can get in touch with me as soon as possible.
hope to hear from you soonest
best regards.
Ian reed '

Please do not respond if you receive an email like this.

Kind regards

Early Years Correspondence

Early Years
Social Care & Learning
Scimitar House
23 Eastern Road
Romford
RM1 3NH

Tel: 01708 433954
Fax: 01708 434252

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of the
London Borough of Havering, are confidential, may be subject to legal privilege
and are intended only for the person(s) or organisation(s) named above.
Any unauthorised use, retention, distribution, copying or disclosure
is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please notify
the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system.
WARNING: It is your responsibility to take all necessary steps to
ensure this e-mail and any attachments to it are free from viruses.

helenlc
09-04-2009, 05:28 PM
A similar one to this has been around before but if memory serves me right that as a man saying he would be coming over from Africa with his son. But it was the same thing.

Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention though.

michellethegooner
09-04-2009, 06:02 PM
thanks for bringing it to our attention. this people make me so mad grrrr :angry:

rickysmiths
09-04-2009, 06:07 PM
I would never respond to any request of this nature. Maybe I'm too suspecious(sp!) !!!:laughing:

Thanks for bringing it to everyones attention.

venus89
09-04-2009, 06:58 PM
I got a very similar email from Maidstone NCMA the other day warning me of the same scam :panic:

Shar
09-04-2009, 07:06 PM
My LA sent this warning to me yesterday. I don't think anyone would be so naive to be sucked in but just incase......Glad they did!!:thumbsup:

Blackhorse
09-04-2009, 07:10 PM
It actually reads a bit dodgy anyways...but thanks for the warning...

what is the actual scam about it though? I guess the cheque would bounce but you don't loose anything or do you?? My brain is on easter holidays... so sorry for the silly question!

LisaH
09-04-2009, 07:13 PM
I think they send you a cheque for too high an amount and ask you to send them the difference. Of course then their cheque bounces and they have your cash!! Lovely people:angry:

Chatterbox Childcare
09-04-2009, 07:13 PM
I had one of these from a gentleman (loosely termed) from Hong Kong

These are money laundering scams and need to be reported to the police.

Blackhorse
09-04-2009, 07:19 PM
I think they send you a cheque for too high an amount and ask you to send them the difference. Of course then their cheque bounces and they have your cash!! Lovely people:angry:

ahh I see...tbh wouldn't send anything until a cheque would clear but that's just me.