PDA

View Full Version : How to keep 10 year old amused?

Chimps Childminding
09-04-2009, 07:07 AM
Hi everyone, after a bit of advice please

I have been asked by a friend of one of my current parents if I could have her 8 year old daughgter, and 10 year old son, before/after school and holidays (not sure how many days/hours at mo).

I am just a bit worried about how I am going to keep them amused, especially the boy! All the other school age children I have looked after in the past have been coming since they were little, so know what they can/can't do and understand that they have to stay in the garden etc. and to be honest by the time they are 10/11 have usually stopped coming.

The 10 year old also doesn't think he needs a cm so how do i entertain a child that doesn't want to be here anyway!!!!

Haven't given her an answer yet. Didn't really want to take any older ones on as I like just having lo's but she is desperate, and apparently the parent has given me a glowing recommendation

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:panic:

youarewhatyoueat
09-04-2009, 08:27 AM
How about splash time session at the local pool,with mum's consent,at least they're old enough not for you to have to go in. Playbarns are always a winner,playstation, never too old for lego,cooking, perhaps make pizza for lunch,paint by numbers, football. You could get them to make an assault course for the younger ones,get him a whistle and he can be the ref. clay modelling,papermache hot air balloons are good fun.
When I mind little ones in the hols I send my own older ones to the leisure centre for sports sessions they only cost £15 a day keeps my kids happy.
Why don't you speak to him perhaps he may like to bring something.
Good luck
Caroline

helenlc
09-04-2009, 08:28 AM
I have the 8 yr old brother of my 3 yr old mindee in holidays.

He likes going on the Wii (although I limit this to half hour), drawing, crafts and playing with the little ones toys ie rainbow rice, the little keyboard, Mega Bloks. Lego is another good one and KNEX etc.

Do you have an About Me form? Ask him to fill it in with what he likes to do.

mandy moo
09-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi My son is 10, he likes his DS Lite, the Playstation/Wii, (Idig out my old Sega every now an then too) Watching the telly!!
My son is I suppose young for his age as he loves cars and still plays with his at times! Pokemon, GoGos although Im not sure what yourspossed todo with them myself:) he still likes making things out of junkmodelling and drawing.
He plays with the lego and mechanno too, with his 7yr old brother.
I guess you could ask mum and him wot he likes to do
Just a few thoughts

angeldelight
09-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Make up a list of questions so he can answer them

Ask him what he likes to do and what he would like to do

Involve him with the little ones

The 9 year old I have is great and is happy to do most things

He is the best person to guide you really - be honest with him and tell him that you usually look after little ones so you expect him to give you some advice and tell you what boys his age likes ( with in reason of course ha )

Good luck

Angel xx

Chimps Childminding
09-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks everyone - not met him yet so will have a chat to mum about what he is in to and then perhaps meet him before I make any decision. Not really too worried about the little girl, which is strange considering I have got 4 boys of my own, its just that my own boys are now 16 and nearly 18, they went out and about where we live so never really had a problem keeping them entertained there was always a gang of boys out on the playing field with a ball!!!!!!!!! just worried he will get bored when I have to entertain the lo's and he is confined to the house/garden!

Will see how it goes!!!!!!!

FussyElmo
09-04-2009, 09:54 AM
I look after a 12 year old who will join in with anything. He likes to play outside football, rugby balls, tennis.

Loves cooking doesnt matter what he will help with anything.

Does all the arts and crafts.

Loves all the computers Wii etc.

He will bring his homework especially a school project.

Maybe I got lucky he is a dream to have :clapping: