PDA

View Full Version : age

estrelas
08-04-2009, 08:29 PM
do you think it matters?
as in how old the minder is?

been thinking about this today, and the two i used were alot older than i am, to be honest i'm not sure i would use one younger than me ( not sure why tho:blush: )
and all my mindees parents are alot older

Have i drunk too much wine?? would it be an issue for you ?

i suppose there are positives to all ages

Minstrel
08-04-2009, 08:32 PM
i look a lot younger than i am!

(so i'm told) i still get ID'd for alcohol/clubs etc and even last year for the lottery!:blush:

the parents i have met so far i have deliberatly dropped into the convo my age!

i dont know why i do it but i dont want them not to go with me beacuse they dont think i'm old enough!

so i know where you are coming from!

i'm 27 btw

estrelas
08-04-2009, 08:34 PM
lol minstrel :)

wish i looked younger. I'm 30 and defo look it, but alot of minders are a bit older than me, i used to think they must be more experienced etc

Pedagog
08-04-2009, 08:46 PM
I think that it will mater to some.

I know when mine were little I rejected nurseries and childminders due to the age (or lack of it of their staff). I guess it was due to the perceived lack of experience of the carers.

That said I remember not wanting a childminder we met, who must have been pushing 80 if she was a day. In this case, I think it was the fact that her house smelt of wee, and she must have taken 10 minutes to get to the kitchen.

Wrong of me maybe, but I guess you do tend to judge.

Zoomie
08-04-2009, 09:00 PM
I have used two childminders in the past.

The first cm I choose was older than me and had grown up children. Apart from liking her etc etc I felt that as she was not caring for her own children at the same time, that my children wouldn't be made to feel as 'second' children.

The second cm was my age, and has similar / younger children, and she is like a second mum to my children, they really felt like they were part of her family.

2nd cm did more mum things with my children, whilst 1st cm 'took care' of them.

Not sure if I have explained myself and it may be more based on the 'mum'-ness rather than age ...

TheBTeam
08-04-2009, 09:01 PM
I think some of my parents have chosen me because i am old enough to be their mother, I am 42!!!!!:laughing: and they seem to be youngggggggggggg!

I don't think age matters, well i did until i met someone quite young who was minding however she is very mature in her attitude and outlook to caring for children and this changed my mind. I always would not look to younger minders feeling that they were like the younger parents i knew and not as sensible or capable as me:laughing: I now judge properly on how the person is and how they carry themselves and run their lives.

My last new set of parents almost seem like they could be my grandchildren and i am trying to think of a way to politely see if they are even 18 when they start next week. Was going to put a roll about laughing smilie now, but i realised i am actually serious!

sue m
08-04-2009, 09:04 PM
I think that it will mater to some.

I know when mine were little I rejected nurseries and childminders due to the age (or lack of it of their staff). I guess it was due to the perceived lack of experience of the carers.

That said I remember not wanting a childminder we met, who must have been pushing 80 if she was a day. In this case, I think it was the fact that her house smelt of wee, and she must have taken 10 minutes to get to the kitchen.

Wrong of me maybe, but I guess you do tend to judge.

That could've been me!!! I worry that young mums might think I'm too old. When I get any enquiries I tell them I'm not a young minder as though they're going to say oh ok, well we won't bother coming to see you then.

nannysue
08-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Most of my parents said that one of the factors for chosing me was because i was older :D maybe more of a nanny than a mother figure !!

huggableshelly
08-04-2009, 09:21 PM
I have a mix some parents are older a couple are younger but I dont think it really matters.

older minders tend to have more experience due to own children, grandchildren and obviously work but younger minders apparently (stereo typically) would have more energy and possibly more uptodate training.

Pedagog
08-04-2009, 09:22 PM
That could've been me!!! I worry that young mums might think I'm too old. When I get any enquiries I tell them I'm not a young minder as though they're going to say oh ok, well we won't bother coming to see you then.

Sue, don't be silly.

This old lady really was an hold lady, her grown up children were parents of grown up children, she was expecting her first great grandchild. And she had just come back from a SAGA holiday.

cher25
08-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I would like to think that the age of childminder's didn't matter. Im 26 but like Minstrel i get id'd a fair bit. I know i look young. Before i got any mindee's the parents i did meet seemed to think cos i was young i wasn't experienced enough. But i told them i babysat from age 13, did supply in school's and nurseries, even when i was at school twice a week i helped out in a special education dep at a local primary, working with autistic children. Before the age 13 every baby born within 1 mile of me, i would go running round to see them.lol
I tend to find that some parent's that do judge on age and experience, are the ones who had no experience before having children themselves.

singlewiththree
09-04-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm 32 and all my mums are older than me and it hasn't made a difference. The main problem they have commented on is my DD. When adults come to visit (any adults) she jumps on my knee and doesn't move she is quite shy. However, when she gets used to them she is fine. My full timer when they signed did say it had worried her as she didn't know how she would be with me having their baby on my knee. I said she is getting plenty of practice with the other mindees and that honestly when there aren't any adults around she is happily playing.

I have had all but one parent drop into the conversation about my lack of male figure in the household. One parent is anti-men and when my BF stayed over last week her face was sour (IYSWIM) but she didn't mention it at all, her son cries at any man he sees however he actually smiled and crawled to my partner.

FussyElmo
09-04-2009, 07:21 AM
I had one mindee come to me from a older childminder and he loves it here just because of the things we do he would say couldnt do that with so and so and I would point out well she is older.

We shouldnt judge on age I know but I think it is what the parents imagine what the childminder is that counts some expect Mary Poppins!!!

brillminder
09-04-2009, 07:23 AM
my children are 21 & 21 & 14 so older they love the small children and it gives the mindees a new look at life, they talk about where are my big chidlren and their cars and friends etc.
i am 47 and i hope parent see experience , quality & reliablity etc in which i offer a quality setting and with my fab outstandings / level 4 qualified -
also that i am serious as a child minder not just doing it till my own children are at school, (which i have heard some people say lady at my local preshool )
- i think we all offer different settings and i would love the parents to see my side sometimes as i do have a life, but my familys are good and we gel along realy well :)

Joannechildmind
09-04-2009, 07:28 AM
i am 27 nearly 28, and have been minding for 4 year no one has ever said i am too young.
Never really thought about it before.

Jo

Mollymop
09-04-2009, 07:29 AM
I don;t think age matters at all really. It may depend though, one parent I had left an older childminder because she retired and they were on the look out for a younger childminder because they wanted one with more energy (me? yeah right!) they came to see me, were concerned at first as my name is "sandra" so they thought I would be older, but I am 29, 28 at the time.
I can understand the parents wanting someone younger, as there child has disabilities and you really need to be on your toes (not saying anything bad here about older childminders, sorry, I am not all that full of energy or fit for that matter. haha)

I know a few childminders in my area who have been minding since they were just 18 - 20.

It will be fine, don't worry about you age.

sonia ann
09-04-2009, 08:16 AM
And she had just come back from a SAGA holiday.
I get letters all the time from saga and I'm only 51!!!:panic: I don't think I'm ready for them yet:laughing:

My own children are 24,22 20 and 14yrs and all my mindees parents are younger than me. I have my fair share of aches and pains and freely admit that getting up of the floor quickly these days is a thing of the past:laughing: (something to be seen !)

However all my parents have said independantly that although experience, training ,qualifications , age etc played a part in their choice they went more on their "gut feelings" when they came for their visit, and vice versa for me. Touch wood I have always had lovely families.....with the occasional exception where i should have followed my instincts right at the beginning:rolleyes:

Blaze
09-04-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm 29 started minding when I was 25 (I must look younger as I'm forever being ID'd...don't feel it though LOL)...all the parent's of LO's I have cared for have been older (...30's -fifties)...then me & all have said at one time or another about my knowledge is far supierior to theirs & that alsways came across at interview....my bestest friend in the world is in her late fifties & we have been friends since I was 21...as far as I am concerned age is just a number.:)

sue m
09-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Age is just a number Blaze, you're right, we're as old as we feel.

Steve gets lots of stuff from Saga too. They've not got my name somehow and I'm 56!!!:thumbsup: