PDA

View Full Version : Article in Nursery World

cherry
08-04-2009, 02:44 PM
I've just read this in Nursery World, it makes interesting reading.

First childminders' inspections after EYFS largely 'positive', says NCMA
By Catherine Gaunt, Nursery World, 8 April 2009
Seventy per cent of childminders achieved a good or outstanding grade in their first inspection under the Early Years Foundation Stage, a survey of 120 childminders by the National Childminding Association has found.
NCMA carried out interviews with childminders who had inspections after 1 September last year when the EYFS started. The majority of childminders said they felt they were responding well to delivering the EYFS, were positive about the new inspection process and were not overburdened by excessive paperwork.
The findings appear to contradict some reports that childminders are leaving their jobs amid fears over the EYFS (News, 14 May 2008). Official figures show that there were 1, 671 fewer childminders at the end of December than there were at the end of August (News, 26 March).

Andrew Fletcher, director of communications at NCMA, said, 'We are encouraged by the largely positive response, in particular the usefulness of the self-evaluation form. While many found filling in the form time-consuming at first, the majority found it helped the inspection to go smoothly and encouraged them to record and reflect on good practice.'

The NCMA said the survey was not a representative sample but a snapshot of progress.

While some childminders surveyed found the self-evaluation form 'lengthy and challenging', and had problems accessing it online, most thought the SEF helped the inspection process.

Kelly Wood, a childminder from Bedfordshire, received an overall 'good' grade with some 'outstanding' areas. She said, 'I feel that the introduction of the self-evaluation form has made the whole inspection process a lot easier because it enables us to write down everything we want the inspector to know, all the positive aspects of our practice. Plus, it gives you a chance to let them know about all the changes and improvements you are planning to make as well.'

madasahatter
08-04-2009, 03:11 PM
It backs up my thoughts on the EYFS that for many childminders it will make only a little difference to what they did pre EYFS. When the EYFS came into being it was only ever going to be the bad things and negative feelings that were published because 'it's not going to make much difference to me' is not a headline grabber.
I think it helps to remember that what we see/read in the newspapers/news reports are only ever going to be extremes of views because otherwise it's just not interesting enough. It's like reading what the celebrities are doing 'X having affair with Y' grabs more attention than 'X gave Y a celebratory (but platonic) hug at an awards ceremony'

angeldelight
10-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks for that

Interesting

Angel xx

huggableshelly
10-04-2009, 12:35 PM
ty for sharing....

a few have given up due to EYFS here but now I understand it better its easier ... well I think its easier compared to what I was doing.

miffy
10-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks, as you say, interesting reading!

Methinks this article says what the NCMA would like us all to believe :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

nell57
10-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Very interesting ty

It does seem to be trend for inspections in Stoke most getting good. And there have been 4 outstanding since January, which no one had ever achieved before then in this area.