PDA

View Full Version : Ill children - what do you do?

cs01
08-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Mum drops off child yesterday and says he had an unsettled night and a high temp. she did not know what was wrong with him but he did not have a temp when she left him because he'd had Calpol that morning. He was def not himself all morning, upset and off his food and by lunchtime he had a high temp again. Gave him some calpol and put him to bed and called mum to say what I had done and that if he got worse I'd call again. Anyway, I managed to keep him content and she collected him a little earlier than usual (only 20 mins though).

This morning she called to say he'd had a temp during the night but seemed ok now and that she'd drop him round at lunchtime. In the meantime, my own child now has a fever.

I feel sorry for the mums as they have jobs to do but can't help feel that it's unfair on my own child to care for other sick children. I also care for a younger baby so hope the baby doesn't catch what the others have got.

My question is, what do you do if the child has a high temp but no other symptoms? Should we care for them as it could just be a cold? Does anyone know what the nurserys/day care places do in these situations?

louloudi
08-04-2009, 04:42 PM
I've not had a problem with this yet but sometimes it's difficult to call if the child has a high temp and no other sign of illness, yet your other children are now ill!! This just shows us what happens if we take ill children the knock on effect and if we are our children are ill we lose earnings:angry:
I think sometimes parents play down illness in order for them to go to work. I must admit my parents are really good and if the school/nursery wont taken them then I wouldn't either.
I work in school and I know that if the child is ill/high temp the parents are called straight away and I could imagine nurseries doing the same.
perhaps this is another one for the policy booklet?!

balloon
08-04-2009, 04:46 PM
I send mine home if they have high temps. It's only happened once so far and the mum was here within ten minutes, took the LO right home and even said thanks for contacting her.

breezy
08-04-2009, 04:52 PM
I send mine home if they have high temps. It's only happened once so far and the mum was here within ten minutes, took the LO right home and even said thanks for contacting her.

I'm the same, i contact parent, get verbal permission for calpol( already have written permission) administer calpol and wait for parent to collect.

Alibali
08-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Sitting here now with a high temp, sore head and eyes, perhaps the virus that my little mindee with a high temp and rash had?!

It's really difficult when there is nothing specific but you just know they are under the weather. One of the downsides of the job I'm afraid.

Gizmo
08-04-2009, 06:17 PM
my dds nursery won't even give them calpol they just call and you have to pick them up

LisaH
08-04-2009, 06:21 PM
I give calpol and get parents to collect too!! Trouble is some parents take so long to arrive they have already passed it on to the other kids.:panic:

angeldelight
09-04-2009, 08:58 AM
It is difficult

But if a child needs medication then they are obviously ill

So yes I would send them home

Angel xx

cs01
09-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think in the future I will ask parents to collect their children if they have a high temp. I just need to learn to be not so nice!

sammy
09-04-2009, 11:06 PM
yes i would send home, one mum gave me her child in the morning, and said hes had calpol, thinks its due to teething! but hes had a high temp.

I know some kids do get high temps with teething, so i took him.

I took him to childminding playgroup, he threw up, and cried, so i called her to collect him as he was clearly not well.

When she collected him i said hes been really wingy since we got out the car (was watching peppa pig to keep him quiet in car) and then she turned around and said i think its because he doesnt like the childminding group i take him too, he prefers it at your house! hes only just turned 2 and does winge when it gets a bit busier there, but hes never been hurt and i think he has to get used to being around others so i will still take him there. I did say he certainly didnt look like his normal self and that i think something is wrong with him.

Anyway, 2 days later she calls to say hes not coming in (only have him 2 mornings) she then goes on to tell me that she thinks the antibiotics that he is on are not working as he was on them since the friday which makes 5 days being on them and hes temp hasnt gone - he had an ear infection!!!

So for that reason i have changed my sickness policy to include high temps!! how bad is that and she is supposed to tell me, she chats openly about everything else

sophiestars
10-04-2009, 08:25 PM
It always amazes me how they say they are nervous and guilty about leaving them to start with when they have never left them before, but after a short while they are trying to leave them when they are not well!

A CM friend of mine has a little boy 17 mths who was sick 3 times one morning last week and had v. high temp so she called mum who did come to get him but took ages. Anyway Mum ended up taking him to docs and then wanted to bring him back for the afternoon!! Unbelievable.
They then dropped him off next morning he was still unwell so my friend had to call parents again! Anyway, i was meant to be meeting up with her on Weds but she called to say she couldn't make it because her own 2 year old had been up all night being sick. Obviously caught it from mindee.
I know parents have to work but there has got to be a point where their child comes first.

Sophie x