PDA

View Full Version : Inspected yesterday - what she liked & what she wanted more of!

RainbowMum
08-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Thought I'd share as I had a really great inspection considering I wasn't expecting her till next year and was far from ready when the phone call came!
Anyway - she was very impressed with my whole safeguarding aspect - not just my policy but how I encourage children to think about & learn safety for them selves - e.g. I verbalise the crossing proceedure every time we cross a road and always point out that we have found a safe place etc, I allow children to manage appropriate risks for themselves - e.g. a toddler negotiating a slide - when they get to the top I let them decide wethr to go down or not etc. I have a thorough daily risk check sheet which I do on my laptop - no paper! this also includes a daily cleaning schedule both of which are adapted from Sarah's daily diary. My driver comes out onto a busy pavement - I have a notice up reminding visitors to take care when driving out.

She also said my partnership with the nursery was the best she has seen yet, I have an A5 notebook (only a cheap thin one) that I made a cover for (A Partnership for -childs name- & photo) Which I put in details of childs routine - days at home, days with me, days with nursery and also what he is enjoying at mine & which areas of L&D I feel they need most support in. I then found out who the key worker is and put it in her hand and more or less told her to write something in it! pointed out to her that Ofsted would appreciate it on both sides! Mrs Ofsted thought it was great that I had managed to get them involved, she knows how hard it can be.

The main recommendation she had was to get parents more involved in the learning & development - so find a way to get them to let us know the things child is acheiving at home or what they may be struggling with plus wow momets too. I have contract reviews coming up and had planned to do a questionnaire then but at least I know to push hard for this info now, also think I might make some blank wow moment certificates for parents to have and fill in themselves for children to bring - along the lines of 'Look what i did at home' or ask parents to email me some pics - holiday experiences etc.

She was a ver nice inspector - she did say they have raised the bar on grades and to be the big O you have to be working far above the norm and that even when they do give it they expect to have some recommendations as there is always room for improvement and growth.

Anyway thought it would help to know what she said - hope it helps!

emler
08-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Glad it went so well for you - well done :clapping:

FussyElmo
08-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Well done you:clapping: :clapping:

Thanks for sharing its always useful to know:)

sophiestars
08-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Well done sounds as if you have it all sorted!! It is sooo useful when people put tips on here about inspections I haven't had one yet so I am interested to hear everyone's experiences. You can breath out now for a few years!!

Sophie xx

angeldelight
08-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Well done Sharon

:clapping: :clapping:

Thanks for the advice

Angel xx

Zoomie
08-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Well done, and thanks for the tips
xx

nannysue
08-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Very Well Done you, :thumbsup: sounds as though you had a very nice inspector who was giving you positive feedback. Thanks for tips.

cherry
08-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Well done Sharon.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Mouse
08-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Well done! There are some good tips there. I particularly like the idea of the notebook to share with parents & other providers.

It's very true what they say about there always being room for improvement. Even though I did get outstanding, I have picked up so many great tips on this forum that I realise there is sooooo much I can still do better!

SandCastles
08-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the excellent tips. Well Done :clapping:

watgem
08-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks for sharing, well done!:)

ORKSIE
08-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Well Done:clapping:

Shar
08-04-2009, 07:42 PM
And from another one, Well done Sharon!! How many are there one here?? The only reccomendation I had was to further improve my risk assessments to include every outing I do with the children. There is always room for improvement. :thumbsup:

Sharon. XX

Bushpig
08-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for sharing :) Great advice!

Demonjill
08-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Sounds like it went well for you and you got some good feedback. Well done :thumbsup:

ChristineF
03-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks for posting this :) I'm still Pre-reg but some great tips that I'll keep in mind for when I get started :)
Well done on doing so well with your inspection :clapping:

nemo97
03-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanx for sharing with us:clapping:
I'm overdue an inspection so all tips are good to receive :thumbsup:

HENNY
03-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Well done you!:jump for joy: :clapping: :laughing:

loocyloo
04-05-2009, 02:49 PM
well done.

i like the sharing book for nursery. might try that, hopefully it will work even though i don't actually have contact with nursery, as child goes whilst not in my care!

x

Hooligan59
08-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Like RainbowMum, I had a great inspection. (I know it's an odd thing to say, but I felt really good about it!)

At my inspection yesterday, my inspector commented on my SEF, and how useful it was to have read it before she came.

She was very positive, and liked my "What shall we do today" book, which has photos of what we do, like cooking, or going to the park, as well as the toys we play with and the other activities we have done in the last few months, and she liked the children's scrapbooks. I was graded Good, but she said I was at the high end of good.

My only recommendation was to liaise more with the nursery the three year old attends in the mornings. Easier said than done, but I will try my best!

She also said to make sure that I had "information about who has legal contact with the child; and who has parental responsibility" as stated on p23 of the Statutory Framework. My contracts (NCMA) have a space which says "Residence or contact arrangements (if applicable)", but she said this was not specific enough.

I intend to amend my self produced registration forms to include the precise wording.

I think the best advice she gave is complete your SEF - it helps to reduce the visit time! (My inspection took 1hr 45 mins!):)

markypj
08-05-2009, 01:24 PM
If you GOOGLE early years passport - you can get hold of a fantastic little booklet to download which is what it says - a passport to be handed in at various destinations - ie childminder, nursery etc. Everyone has the same information and it shows what they like/dislike, who they live with, how they're feeling, significant changes etc.....I think it's going to egt us all brownie points with Mrs Ofsted!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Toothfairy
09-05-2009, 08:00 AM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Well done you and thanks for sharing.

huggableshelly
09-05-2009, 08:08 AM
well done and ty for sharing the tips xxx

Tups
13-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Thank,s sharon well done and thank,s for the tip,s:clapping: :clapping:

sammc_74
30-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Glad you had a positive experience with Mrs O and that you did so well:thumbsup: . I'm waiting (not so patiently) for my first inspection and all tips are very greatfully recieved

Maza
30-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Congratulations! Some great ideas, thank you for sharing.

xgemx
31-05-2011, 08:09 PM
well done and thank you for sharing it really helps us newbies

Helen D
28-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Thought I'd share as I had a really great inspection considering I wasn't expecting her till next year and was far from ready when the phone call came!
Anyway - she was very impressed with my whole safeguarding aspect - not just my policy but how I encourage children to think about & learn safety for them selves - e.g. I verbalise the crossing proceedure every time we cross a road and always point out that we have found a safe place etc, I allow children to manage appropriate risks for themselves - e.g. a toddler negotiating a slide - when they get to the top I let them decide wethr to go down or not etc. I have a thorough daily risk check sheet which I do on my laptop - no paper! this also includes a daily cleaning schedule both of which are adapted from Sarah's daily diary. My driver comes out onto a busy pavement - I have a notice up reminding visitors to take care when driving out.

She also said my partnership with the nursery was the best she has seen yet, I have an A5 notebook (only a cheap thin one) that I made a cover for (A Partnership for -childs name- & photo) Which I put in details of childs routine - days at home, days with me, days with nursery and also what he is enjoying at mine & which areas of L&D I feel they need most support in. I then found out who the key worker is and put it in her hand and more or less told her to write something in it! pointed out to her that Ofsted would appreciate it on both sides! Mrs Ofsted thought it was great that I had managed to get them involved, she knows how hard it can be.

The main recommendation she had was to get parents more involved in the learning & development - so find a way to get them to let us know the things child is acheiving at home or what they may be struggling with plus wow momets too. I have contract reviews coming up and had planned to do a questionnaire then but at least I know to push hard for this info now, also think I might make some blank wow moment certificates for parents to have and fill in themselves for children to bring - along the lines of 'Look what i did at home' or ask parents to email me some pics - holiday experiences etc.

She was a ver nice inspector - she did say they have raised the bar on grades and to be the big O you have to be working far above the norm and that even when they do give it they expect to have some recommendations as there is always room for improvement and growth.

Anyway thought it would help to know what she said - hope it helps!

Congratulations...so wonderful to hear someone having a positive insection allthat worry and its never quite as bad as we think its going to be Helen D xx

LittleVoice
07-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Thank you for sharing your tips, and well done on your inspection - sounds like Mrs O was very impressed!! You will have to let us all know what you have been graded. :D

Balibali
24-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Anyway - she was very impressed with my whole safeguarding aspect - not just my policy but how I encourage children to think about & learn safety for them selves - e.g. I verbalise the crossing proceedure every time we cross a road and always point out that we have found a safe place etc, I allow children to manage appropriate risks for themselves - e.g. a toddler negotiating a slide - when they get to the top I let them decide wethr to go down or not etc. I have a thorough daily risk check sheet which I do on my laptop - no paper! this also includes a daily cleaning schedule both of which are adapted from Sarah's daily diary.

Hi Sharon,

Would you mind to let me know where can I getSarah's daily diary please? Been looking from the free download and free resources but I can't find it.

Thank you,

Poppy

cherry
24-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Here you go

http://www.knutsfordchildminding.co.uk/

Penny1959
25-09-2011, 04:16 AM
Congratulations and thanks for sharing the feedback

Penny :)

anisha
25-09-2011, 11:34 AM
well done, better start on my SEF!

Pauline
25-09-2011, 12:53 PM
This is a really old thread from April 2009!! Rainbow mum is no doubt due her next inspection soon :laughing: