PDA

View Full Version : Class 3 business car insurance?

DCMS
07-04-2009, 09:11 PM
I was sorting out house insurance today and got on talking to the guy about car insurance too. Told him I'd changed to personal business use and he gave me something to think about. He said the business use I have is class 1 and covers me to be transporting mindees around but if I had an accicdent and injured a mindee I wouldn't be covered for that as you need class 3 for injuries, and parents could then sue me for compensation. What do others have?

Minstrel
08-04-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure- i thought insurance covered cars and people.

maybe he was trying to sell you extra? i really dont know i havent looked into mine yet.

nikki13
08-04-2009, 01:02 PM
he is trying to sell you extras hun i have personal buissiness and it covers me for everything it is also what ncma recomend have you tried their recomended site lathum and blackman

rickysmiths
09-04-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm with Churchill, they are cheaper than the NCMA Motor minder which is through Bluefin now.

christine e
10-04-2009, 06:58 AM
Class three business use is what taxis have which is cover for transporting for reward so I think this is where he is coming from. If you are worried contact your car insurer and ask them

Cx

TheBTeam
10-04-2009, 08:22 AM
When i looked into the motorminder people were saying that other car insurances did not cover you, i complained to ncma and so did a few others because we found out that it was not correct. They have since changed the wording in their adverts.

I was told by both of my insurance companies that if i charge an hourly rate for caring for the children and i get paid the same whether i use/go out in my car or not, then this this does not require class 3 use. If i charge for using my car, parents pay me to take their children in the car over and above the hourly rate and related to journeys made, then this becomes a taxi.

When i had this as an issue, i just increased my hourly rate to cover what i wanted to charge for the school journey so that it wasn't directly related to whether we used a car or not.

HTH

Jules12Wed
10-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Do you think this covers me for a boy I have I used to just have him after school but the Mum has asked me to take him to school when she is working an early shift cos the Nan doesn't want to do it anymore. I literally pick him up on the way to school and drop him off and get £5 for it??

christine e
10-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Do you think this covers me for a boy I have I used to just have him after school but the Mum has asked me to take him to school when she is working an early shift cos the Nan doesn't want to do it anymore. I literally pick him up on the way to school and drop him off and get £5 for it??

The only people who can answer this question accurately is your own insurer so I think it best you contact them

Cx

Chatterbox Childcare
10-04-2009, 10:52 AM
This has been brought up before and I contacted my insurance company and I am covered. Would suggest you do the same.

rickysmiths
11-04-2009, 01:42 PM
When i looked into the motorminder people were saying that other car insurances did not cover you, i complained to ncma and so did a few others because we found out that it was not correct. They have since changed the wording in their adverts.

I was told by both of my insurance companies that if i charge an hourly rate for caring for the children and i get paid the same whether i use/go out in my car or not, then this this does not require class 3 use. If i charge for using my car, parents pay me to take their children in the car over and above the hourly rate and related to journeys made, then this becomes a taxi.

When i had this as an issue, i just increased my hourly rate to cover what i wanted to charge for the school journey so that it wasn't directly related to whether we used a car or not.

HTH

Yes I had a big arguement with them over this. I said they were frightening people into insuring with them and they actually told me that no other insurance companies insured the children in the car!!!:eek: The laugh of it is (I was with them for a year) is that their paperwork is a nightmare, they don't actually mention Childminding on it anywhere!:eek: not even on the insurance cert.! and they wanted £45 extra to have a hire car compatable to the one I drive!!!! I complained to NCMA as well.

I am with Churchill again now, they were £120 less than the renewal Quote from Motor Minder and I have on my insurance cert that I am a Childminder.

I wouldn't touch Motor Minder ever again.

TheBTeam
11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
We both have class 1 business use on our cars, with two different companies and have been assured that we are okay.

I very rarely complain about anything but the day i got the big motorminder insert in the who minds, i was about to go on a quite long journey and really panicked that i had made an awful mistake, this really unnerved me as i am usually so careful, read all the small print, and from cover to cover, that i got straight on to this. I contacted all my cm friends and we all checked before we went out as to the correct position. The complaint was eventually referred to the advertising standards agency, and they only way we knew the outcome is now their adverts are worded very differently.