PDA

View Full Version : Delay in Paying Me

helenlc
07-04-2009, 08:22 PM
I have a mindee full time all year round and have his 8 yr old brother in the holidays. Mum gets help from Tax Credits and pays me every week on a Tuesday.

On Monday when I picked boys up, she said she had competey forgotten it was the hoidays and was it ok for M (8 yr old) to still come. I said Of course as I was expecting him anyway.

So tonight, I drop them back and Mum pays me - but only for little one. She says Can I pay you for M at the end of the month when I get paid? I sort of made a face but found myself saying Ok. She said she would try to get some to me before hand if possible but couldnt guarantee it.

But the thing is, she should be getting paid off Tax Credits each week with M's money averaged out over the year ready to pay for holiday care for him.

I have bought craft things for the Easter Holidays for them to do, we went to the cinema today and I was going to do soft play tomorrow and farm next week. However, money is now tight as I have paid my rent out of little one's money and also have a phone bill to pay.

I dont see why I should go without my money and things be tight for me and my family. I can also see that she is not necessarily going to be able to come across £400 in the next day or two - but is that my problem iyswim?

I am wondering whether to say to her that i need her to pay me at least half of M's money as I have forked out money already on things for him to do in the holidays.

What do you reckon? And I dont want to come across as being narky with her so how can I word it also?

Thanks

miffy
07-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I think she's got a cheek - she expects you to look after him but tells you she'll try and pay you but she can't guarantee it when she's already had the tax credit payments towards your fees!!!!!

I think you'll have to be straight with her and say you were expecting to look after her son as you do every holiday and so you've bought craft materials and planned trips and activities and you can't afford to wait until the end of the month for your fees.

Good luck

Miffy xx

wendywu
07-04-2009, 10:01 PM
This is a no no and how minders get into the situation of being owed large amounts of money. Ask for your money you need to be paid.:(

Deb
07-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Are you feeding him as well??

I guess this could have been avoided by asking her to book his places, but she should be paying you! Although quite where she will get the money is anyone's guess. Hope she finds some soon for you.

helenlc
08-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Yes, I am feeding him. I also took him to the cinema yesterday, we are going soft play today and the farm next week. I have also provided crafts for him to do every day as well.

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and ask this morning for at least one week's money. I am going to say that although she forgot it was the holidays, she has still been receving help towards his fees from Tax Credits.

I need to clone myself but have some backbone and send that one to deal with all the money side of childminding!!

miffy
08-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Good luck - and don't take no for an answer! You are in the right here :)

Miffy xx

Mollymop
08-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Good luck Helen, I hope you get paid today.

Bushpig
08-04-2009, 07:50 AM
I always ask for fes in advance, so this doesnt happen. How would she like her salary paid whenever her employer feels like paying her? It's not on. :(

helenlc
08-04-2009, 08:06 AM
I did it! I said that I would need at least one week's fees by next tuesday (which is when she pays me for the other one). I explained that I had already paid out for tickets, food, craft materials etc and I was out of pocket until she paid me what I was due.

She sort of made a face but said she will try and get it!! Then the 8 yr old gets in the car with 3 packs of trading cards! Alright, it only equates to £3 but the fact is she is not paying me and yet is still buying things for the boys!!

I feel pretty good now and realise for the first time in my 33 yrs on this planet that I can be assertive - well sort of!! :blush: :laughing:

It was only thanks to your comments and advice that I found the strength to ask, so thank you!!! :group hug:

westbrom44
08-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I think this highlights the reason that childcare tax credits should be paid directly to the carer, and not the parent!

I think you should definitely persue the payment, as she may think it is acceptable, otherwise.

I personally, dont pay for trips to the cinema, farm, softplay etc, out of the weekly fees. I always ask the parents in advance to pay the extra. I do, however, pay for toddler groups, as it is usually only a couple of extra pounds. I also charge for meals, but snacks are included in my fees.

Good luck.

Minstrel
08-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Well Done!

Lets hope she sticks to it! xx

Bushpig
08-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Well done Helen!!! :thumbsup:

angeldelight
08-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Well done Helen for being so brave

I just hope you get the money now

Some parents are so cheeky

Good luck

Angel xx

helenlc
08-04-2009, 07:55 PM
The more I thought about it, the more I struggled with keeping my temper - why should I struggle through til the end of the month, especially when she has already been getting the money from Tax Credits.

Yes, it does go in favour of us getting the money direct from Tax Credits.

My other alternative is to say to her to average our my money each week as well so that she doesnt have to "find" the extra money each school holiday.

Thanks again for your positive comments.

In answer to someone else's comment about paying for trips, I did toy with the idea of asking parents to pay but then worried about some paying and some not. I dont do trips every day that cost money - Monday we went to the library and park, tomorrow we have a toddler group that I run that older ones can attend, so that will cost nothing. Next week, its only going to be the farm that is going to cost all week. So I try and balance trips that cost with activities that cost nothing. So I dont mind paying for a few trips here and there. During term time, its only toddler groups I pay out for.

But I was expecting my wages from her to pay for those that I had laid out for already.

beckyteddy
08-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I think that it is pretty irrelevant whether she gets help towards her child-care costs from tax credits or not, she owes you money and whether or not she gets tax credits is not your problem!

She will have money coming in ie. wages and tax credits and then has bills to pay from that money ie. rent, electric etc. and child care. Our fees are only linked to tax credits in terms of a means to determine how much money a parent receives from the government and parents should not use the dates or amounts they recieve to sway when or how they pay us our fees.

Sorry to rant on, but I have had parents ask to pay on certain days because thats when their credits are paid to them and it really riles me because it's none of my business when they are paid...I set my fees and I ask to be paid in advance regardless of what tax credits they get and when. They should be organised enough to save the money they know they owe so they can pay us on time:angry:

I feel a bit better now thats all just spewed out! Sorry for highjacking thread x

helenlc
08-04-2009, 10:45 PM
I am totally with you, dont worry!!! Lol. Hence the bravery to ask for my money!!

Mollymop
09-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Well done Helen!!:clapping:

I am a big wimp sometimes when it comes to things but when it comes to asking for money I don't have a problem, because it makes me cross when they don't pay.

miffy
09-04-2009, 07:34 AM
I did it! I said that I would need at least one week's fees by next tuesday (which is when she pays me for the other one). I explained that I had already paid out for tickets, food, craft materials etc and I was out of pocket until she paid me what I was due.

She sort of made a face but said she will try and get it!! Then the 8 yr old gets in the car with 3 packs of trading cards! Alright, it only equates to £3 but the fact is she is not paying me and yet is still buying things for the boys!!

I feel pretty good now and realise for the first time in my 33 yrs on this planet that I can be assertive - well sort of!! :blush: :laughing:

It was only thanks to your comments and advice that I found the strength to ask, so thank you!!! :group hug:

Well done Helen - hope she pays up!

Miffy xx

helenlc
16-04-2009, 06:49 PM
So I'd said to Mum that I would need at least one of the 2 weeks money this week.

So far, out of £202, she has given me £25 this week!!!

I am going to have to prompt her tomorrow.

I do have late payment of fee charges which I havent been charging her so far. I may have to threaten this to at least get one weeks money!

I am too soft still:blush:

georgie456
16-04-2009, 07:04 PM
How would she like her salary paid whenever her employer feels like paying her? It's not on. :(

That is such a good way of putting it! I find it unbelieveable that people think it's ok to pay late! I would never put someone in the position of having to chase me for money!!! It's like OP said, the tax credits have accounted for holiday cover so she should pay it! I don't envy you though - I am terrible at that sort of thing - I'll come in on the cloning with backbone included!

estrelas
16-04-2009, 07:34 PM
i've just had this tonight.

shes b4 and after and hols, she knows to pay in advance. today she called and asked if she could pay on the 28 th:eek: , i said ok just this time but i want the next two weeks up front as well, otherwise cancelling. we're not even through settling in period yet :(

helenlc
16-04-2009, 07:42 PM
i've just had this tonight.

shes b4 and after and hols, she knows to pay in advance. today she called and asked if she could pay on the 28 th:eek: , i said ok just this time but i want the next two weeks up front as well, otherwise cancelling. we're not even through settling in period yet :(

Be strong from the beginning - I will be with the next ones I take on!!

These are my wages that I have worked the last 2 weeks for. I have been kind enough to say she only needs to pay me one of the 2 weeks for the older sibling but so far I have received £25 out of what should be £404 in my pocket!!!:angry: :angry:

estrelas
16-04-2009, 07:44 PM
i will be , thanks for advice xx