PDA

View Full Version : Under 1's

Seonaid
06-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Hi
I'm just considering starting as a childminder. I have a 3 month old and initially I only want to look after one other who is a friend's child. She will also be under 1 year old though. I know that the rules say you can only have one child under 1 year but I have read that Ofsted can grant permission for more than one under certain circumstances. Does anyone have any experience of this? Do you think I'd be able to have 2 children under 1 if they are the only children I have to mind?
Thanks
Seonaid

Twinkles
06-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Is the other child nearly one? We've just had another new minder on here refused by ofsted to have two under ones because she does'nt have enough experience.

Seonaid
06-02-2008, 11:08 PM
No, she'll be 6 months when her Mum returns to work and mine will be 7months. I'm a first time Mum and my only other experience with childcare was some time ago but I worked in a respite care unit for disabled children.

Pipsqueak
06-02-2008, 11:12 PM
None of us can predict what OFSTED will or won't grant you but I would say that in all honestly I don't think they would allow you to.
Normal conditions for most minders - even those with experience etc its 3 under 5's (only one can be under 1yr) and 3 x5-8yrs and this generally includes your own bairns.
"Special circumstances" generally mean such things as continuity of care ie a sibling when you already care for its older sibs, twins etc

Seonaid
06-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Yes, I'm thinking you're right. It's just a shame as it would be a good solution to both our childcare/work needs. I guess rules is rules though and they are there to protect the children.
I think I'll go ahead with the pre-registration meeting and see what I think after. Probably by the time I get through all the paperwork/inspections etc they'll be 5 never mind 1 year old!!!
Thanks xx

Twinkles
06-02-2008, 11:20 PM
As I said to the other minder you could always go to her house and be her nanny until one of the babies is 1yr.

manjay
06-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Hi
I'm just considering starting as a childminder. I have a 3 month old and initially I only want to look after one other who is a friend's child. She will also be under 1 year old though. I know that the rules say you can only have one child under 1 year but I have read that Ofsted can grant permission for more than one under certain circumstances. Does anyone have any experience of this? Do you think I'd be able to have 2 children under 1 if they are the only children I have to mind?
Thanks
Seonaid

Or you could move to Wales where you can have 2 under 18 months!! Bit drastic that though!

amanda xx

Seonaid
06-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Funny! My husband is thrilled I'm even considering work. Not sure he'll be so thrilled when I tell him we're moving!!!!

whitedove
07-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Could never understand that rule myself about not having 2 children under one.
I have twins. ( my own )and I coped perfectly well with them when they were under one.

Think it would be different if you had other children to mind as well as the two babies.but having just the two im sure would be a doddle.

angeldelight
07-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Just wanted to say good luck with your registration

Like you say it could take ages so you never know what could happen yet

Good luck

Angel xx

miffy
07-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Good luck from me too

Hope it works out for you

Miffy xx

Seonaid
07-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Morning!
Thanks everyone for your advise.
Twinkles, you said about being her nanny. Are there no legal requirements for that then so long as I do it at her house? Sounds like it could be a compromise for a few months.

Twinkles
07-02-2008, 12:47 PM
As far as I know it's up to her who she has in her house to look after her child. But if someone on here knows different then please let us know.

katickles
07-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi - I don't really know about being a nanny other than when we were on our pre-reg course we were told a bit about being a nanny & so i would say definatly to go to the meeting, if nothing else you may decide you want to care for other children afterall!!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do

:)

deeb66
07-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Only wanted to add....

Good luck!

brillminder
07-02-2008, 09:01 PM
good idea to nanny and get your registration processed then ask for continuity 2 under 1 if needed of care -transfering nanny to childminder and plead your case & experience good luck