PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Fence Secure - Stopping children climbing over

angeldelight
07-04-2009, 07:49 AM
We have a small area of fence that could be climbed over

The garden next door is not really used and it belongs to the next road - they are flats which we can not see but the gardens go back a long way and a small part of it meets with a small area of our garden

We have never had any trouble all the years we have lived here but I know that a troublesome family have moved in and I caught a child of about 10 trying to climb over the fence and we discovered some of the balls have gone missing etc. Some of the children shouted over the fence saying they were going to have a go on our trampoline grrrrr

I did speak to the police but they did not want to know really - they said we have to catch someone in the act - I also felt a bit petty complaining about a few balls but I am sure you lot will all know what I mean - they are for the kids and its unfair
Yes we have locked all the toys away but sometimes I forget and the odd toy might be left out - I have never even thought about it before but now obviously I need to

These children have also started to throw stones and have just missed us and our windows - once again the local council and police said you have to actually see who did it - catch them in the act - MADNESS or until one of us gets hurt I suppose ?

I am surprised they would want to climb over we have 8ft bushes all along the fence that have always been there - some are rose bushes so they have actually had to climb through these

I obviously need something to put along the top of the fence to stop them climbing I am just not sure what
I actually asked the police and the council what ideas they had and are we allowed vandal paint or anything else - they both said they did not know - so a great help there

What do you do to stop people climbing over ? Any ideas

Angel xx

uf353432
07-04-2009, 08:14 AM
some trellis might work - its not strong enough to support body weight which might be a deterrant.

Or *cough* gripper rods can be very sharp (:blush:)

huggableshelly
07-04-2009, 08:44 AM
how about the chicken wire stuff?

I'm misserable and ban balls in my garden as its just not big enough due to the large extension that was done before we moved in.

the only balls i allow are ballpit balls and the swing ball but getting rid of the ballpit balls now as mindees no longer use them and I hate picking them up lol.

oops i went right off topic ... hope you come up with a soluttion real soon xxx

Lady Haha
07-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Barbed Wire!!!! Little sods!:angry:

haribo
07-04-2009, 09:57 AM
sorry youre having to deal with this:angry: i have put trellis on the top of my fence and as someone said if anyone tried to get over it would give way so hopefully put them off . i think its illegal to put glass on top but gripper rods sound good lol . the police sound less than useful:angry:

Ripeberry
07-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm starting to get this problem with the kids down the road getting bored already. They have started using my back wall for football and for the last two days all you can hear is "thump" thump" as they have a big leather ball.
A few times it has gone over into my garden, damaging things and like a fool i give the ball back as i can't confiscate it.
Tried to be nice but firm but they think its a game.
I've caught them a few times trying to climb into our garden but they have to go over a 8foot fence and on the other side i have loads of plants and the fence is not that good.
They were even trying to get onto my garage flat roof the other day with a stepladder to retrieve a shoe (i was eating my dinner and said i would get it later).
It was dangerous and their parents knew what it was for so they basically were willing to let 10yr olds a) climb onto a roof using dangerous equipment and b) trespass onto someone else's property!
We are away for a few days over Easter and i'm making sure everything is locked away :mad:

jaytravis
07-04-2009, 11:21 AM
i had a police lady come round to give me home secuirty advice as we have a drug dealer backing onto our garden and she told us unoficialy to put carpet track grip on the top of the fence panels

mum22
07-04-2009, 11:33 AM
i had a police lady come round to give me home secuirty advice as we have a drug dealer backing onto our garden and she told us unoficialy to put carpet track grip on the top of the fence panels:thumbsup: gets my vote:laughing:

Minstrel
07-04-2009, 11:51 AM
MY dad used to paint thick tar paint on the top of our fences.

nobody gets hurt and since it won't come off clothes you can be sure mum will ask how it happened and encourage them not to do it again x

good luck x

uf353432
07-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I was a bit :blush: to suggest gripper rods - but hey if the police are endorsing it who am I to argue? Just remember though if the precious little darlings get hurt you can be liable - so if you see them running off dripping with blood - remove the offending rods and plead complete ignorance lol!

FussyElmo
07-04-2009, 05:37 PM
We get teens sitting on our front war - a little bit of cooking oil on the wall and on their clothes worked a treat.

I also agree go for the gripper rod!!!!!!!!!!

breezy
07-04-2009, 05:50 PM
We've used this http://www.livesafe.co.uk/Prikka-Strip_webpage.htm?gclid=CJXPuI-q35kCFYND3godEVNkaA works a treat!

flora
07-04-2009, 06:10 PM
I vote for electric fencing :blush: as long as you advertise the fact you have it you are ok :D

Twinkles
07-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Just been to a friends today and he has an electric fence round his chicken run to keep out foxes............just a thought ;)