PDA

View Full Version : My Bad Day - whats new!!!

Pipsqueak
06-04-2009, 06:50 PM
After my laptop mysteriously jumping of the side this morning, damaging the hard disk to fatality and a very nice man trying to help me for 45 minutes while I was having a meltdown and very tentatively telling me the hard disk it terminal and giving me a verdict that I have to shell out to £65 for a new one. Yes I have lost EVERYTHING that I had on the laptop. Luckily I had backed up but not at least for 2 weeks so everything since then - including degree work is gone gone gone

Now I have a dilemma;
Lady I go to uni with has recommended me to a couple whos twins go to her pre-school. didn't want to say anything last week in case it didn't come of. Parents need a childminder for the 3yr olds (4 next month) as mum has cancer and needs to start chemo soon, Dad needs to go back to work due to tight finances.

Went to see them today - got on really great, especially with one of the boys. Think the mum will go for me.

They live in the next town and it means that I have to collect james promptly from nursery and scoot over (about 20 mins) to collect the boys - this is M-F (they said they can sort something out about Tuesdays for now until I finish). This will only be till September when they start school.

Then to cap it all - got a phone call this afternoon from a lady who has been given my name by 3 (no less!!!) people (one of them being the private nursery) and she REALLY wants me. Its a pick up from a different nursery - a tight run but only 5 minutes away from J's nursery. This is M-F, similar hours to the above family and she is ok with the Tuesday thing at the moment too. The contract will be at least 18 months

So what do I do...... short term but more money or long term but less money and running about but tighter time schedules to meet. Both are to start after Easter but I will have to apply for a variation to Ofsted for the twins for a Thurs /Friday.
I have told 2nd mum that I have interviewed another family and she sounded really gutted and asked if she could still come to visit me anyway. Got on great with her on the phone too.

I don't want to let the first family down given their awful situation but I am trying to keep a business head on here too. I know there are no guarantees for either family and I know I can#t dither about on this too long for either family

Help

breezy
06-04-2009, 07:11 PM
oh Pip I dont know, I must admit I'm tending to think go for the first family given their situation but I can see from your point of view it's perhaps not such a good business decision.

I do think though that from the time I've known you that you would be a fantastic support to the twins and their family.

What do your family think?
Wish I could be more help:(
good luck with the decision

helenlc
06-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Its hard isnt it - heart versus head!

I am biased towards the twins - not necessarily because of their situation but I was a nanny for twins before and they are such fun!!

I think also the window in regards to travelling is not quite so tight with the twins, is it? There;s always the worry about getting stuck in traffic or a pre-school teacher wanting a quick word with you - the 5 minute window wouldnt give you much lee way (sp?) with it.

You could also justify your choice by saying first come first served ie the twins came along first with their enquiry.

Good luck anyway and keep us posted.

LisaH
06-04-2009, 08:18 PM
I must admit I would go for the twins too. I know we should be business minded but i would really want to help that family. The kids may need the support of a good childminder:)

Chatterbox Childcare
06-04-2009, 08:20 PM
With a business head on I would tell the twins family that Ofsted won't allow the overlap and help them to find another childminder closer to home.

My non business head on says help the family.

Pipsqueak
06-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Brian - ever helpful lol says go for the bigger payer - which is the twins.
They were fantastic little ones (and thank you Miffy for that kind comment:blush: ) and the mum and dad seem really really lovely. Mum is an ex-teacher and I was talking her through my qualifications and training, EYFS and she stopped me (very politely) and said - I can see that you are dedicated and take your job seriously but the biggest thing I want is that my children are comfortable with who is looking after them and they are going to need a mums love when I can't give it because I am too poorly.

Yep - the time frames are bigger with the twins (R and T) and I have got to admit that I am veering towards them (going to email Offy tomorrow to put in the variation) - I really don't want to let this family down, Mum was also saying that they have spoken to other minders in the area and no one was suitable or if they were didn't have the spaces.
Its just my business head says go for the long term.

Thank you everyone:thumbsup: WIll mull it over a bit more tonight

helenlc
06-04-2009, 09:29 PM
The other way to look at it is that although the other family is longer ie poss 18 months, anything could happen in that time - parents could lose their jobs etc so it might not be the whole 18 months.

Can you tell I am trying to sway you to the twins? :blush: lol

I have had an email about 9 month old twins from September - have replied and invited Mum to come for a visit/chat. Fingers crossed.

Blaze
07-04-2009, 04:45 AM
Nothing to add...go with your gut instinct....let us know what you decide.:)

Monkey1
07-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Good look Pip with whatever you decide x

angeldelight
07-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Only just catching up

I would go for the twins nothing to do with money though but the parents sound like they are going to really appreciate you and they know how hard you work and what can be better than that ?

I would go for them

Not sure what you have decided but good luck anyway

Angel xx

Mollymop
07-04-2009, 06:42 AM
Hope you make a decision easily and it is the right one for you. Good luck x

miffy
07-04-2009, 06:44 AM
I think there are times when you follow your heart and forget the business side and this is one of them.

Good luck Pip whatever you decide (although I think you've already made the decision)

Miffy xx

emler
07-04-2009, 06:45 AM
I think I would probably go with the twins too. Not an easy decision though - good luck & let us know what you decide.