PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrr don't you just hate it when...

Polly2
06-04-2009, 12:17 PM
people demean your job?

I was in toddlers today chatting to a parent, she was considering having a second child and then she said...

"I think I might do a bit of childminding when I have another one - it'll bring a bit of pocket money in"

:eek: :mad: :eek:

No idea of all cm involves or how hard I work

Makes me mad...needless to say I just smiled and said she should try it!!

Blackhorse
06-04-2009, 12:20 PM
I agree it makes me mad too, but I think you simply don't realise how much work it is until you actually do the job or try and register for it!

I think the profile of childminders should somehow be raised so people have a better awareness!!

miffy
06-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Makes me mad...needless to say I just smiled and said she should try it!!

Oh yes, she should definitely be left to find out the hard way :D

Miffy xx

Daftbat
06-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Yes it a shame that people don't really understand the lengths we go to in order to do the job well. However, nine years ago i think i was probably in the same category. I left my job to go on maternity leave and decided to register as a way to earn a bit more money for holidays etc. Things have changed a lot but the average person out there has no idea! I have no regrets though and plan to carry on for at least another nine years!:laughing:

Mouse
06-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I've had people say they're thinking of becoming a cm and expecting it to be done in a couple of weeks :laughing:

tinkerbelle
06-04-2009, 04:45 PM
i recieved a phone call on friday from a training centre asking would i ever consider doing a nvq in childcare as it would make me stand out from other minders i was so blooming mad i already have 3 nvq level 3's and i am studying for my foundation degree and i know most childminders now have a qualification of one kind or another but try explaining how seriously we take our role to others people as im damn sure they see our career as a bit of pocket money and an easy route and have no idea how hard we work and how committed we are to developing our setting through training etc :censored:

Polly2
06-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Too true... I don't think I realised quite what this job entailed until I did it myself!

sophiestars
06-04-2009, 08:59 PM
I totally agree.....I think childminders are still regarded as the poor cousins of childcare to alot of people.

All my parents have been amazed (and impressed!!) at all the work I have had to do to just set up ( policies, courses etc) let alone what I willbe doing (observations, planning) with their children.

I think alot of it is in the name 'childminder'. It sounds like we are passively watching the children rather than planning and getting involved etc. I have been trying to think of a better name for us all but can't think of anything catchy enough!! We would probably always end up being called childminders anyway even if we thought of a better name!

Sophie x

The Juggler
07-04-2009, 06:05 PM
i recieved a phone call on friday from a training centre asking would i ever consider doing a nvq in childcare as it would make me stand out from other minders i was so blooming mad i already have 3 nvq level 3's and i am studying for my foundation degree and i know most childminders now have a qualification of one kind or another but try explaining how seriously we take our role to others people as im damn sure they see our career as a bit of pocket money and an easy route and have no idea how hard we work and how committed we are to developing our setting through training etc :censored:

Would you consider filling in a questionnaire for me. I'm doing my research project for year 2 of my foundation degree and have a questionnaire for childminders undertaking Level 4 and 5 in childcare.

Would you be interested? If so, e-mail me direct on 11tateroad@blueyonder.co.uk. I would really appreciate it and will return the favour if you need me to.

Nx

nannysue
07-04-2009, 06:10 PM
I agree it makes me mad too, but I think you simply don't realise how much work it is until you actually do the job or try and register for it!

I think the profile of childminders should somehow be raised so people have a better awareness!!

Hear Hear !!! The times i have heard oh its all drinking tea and going to toddlers :( it makes me sooo cross, people don't realise how hard we work, and all the extra for no more pay.