PDA

View Full Version : Observations

Buzz Lightyear
06-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Morning all, hope you all had a nice weekend. Cannot believe it's Monday again! Roll on Bank Holiday Friday and Monday :clapping:

One of my mindees is portuguese and he is only 2 years old. He will have been with me a week on Wednesday and think it's time I start to do some obs on him. Because he doesnt speak ANY English, I find minding him a bit hard as neither of us understands each other. I know he's only two so his speech would be different anyway but even so, I think observing him is going to be a bit tough as he tells me everything in Portuguese.

Does anyone know of a way around the language barrier? Obviously dont want the big O coming down on me for not doing my role properly, i.e. obs and planning for him.

Am probably worrying about nothing but want to make sure I get this right.

avril
06-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Try using simple pictures see if you can teach him any english and he teach you any portugese - such as car, doll, apple etc...

haribo
06-04-2009, 09:28 AM
theres probably a lot you can observe about him without speaking his language anyway, young children communicate by body language a lot and you will see him progress in lots of areas - physical development and creative development etc i dont think ofsted would mark you down because of a language barrier x

FussyElmo
06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Couldnt you ask mum to teach you some basic words just as please, thank you, hello, bye, drink, etc luckily he will find the language easier to learn.

sarah707
06-04-2009, 04:56 PM
You can do lots of obs by watching how he plays and finding out about his learning styles or if he has any schemas.

Use that info to plan for him and enhance the games he enjoys :D

miffy
06-04-2009, 05:30 PM
You can do lots of obs by watching how he plays and finding out about his learning styles or if he has any schemas.

Use that info to plan for him and enhance the games he enjoys :D

Sarah - is this really you????

Thought you were in Tenerife - what on earth are you doing here :eek: :eek: :eek:

Miffy xx

helenlc
07-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Go on www.sparklebox.co.uk and download the pictures for the visual time table. This has pictures of cars, lunch, crafts etc. He can show you what he wants to do by selecting the right picture to represent it. You can also both use the English/Portuguese words for the activity. As someone else suggested, ask Mum to write the Portuguese on the picture too.

I actually ended up making my own visual time table using Clip Art images. You could then type the word underneath in english and portuguese, laminate and off you go.