PDA

View Full Version : repair works?

Hebs
05-04-2009, 07:14 PM
i have someone coming out tomorrow to see what repair works i need done in my house :clapping:

it's part of the governments "better homes" thing

i know i'll be getting a new fire :clapping: and new central heating system

anyway

can i make them complete the work within a set time scale as i'm going to have to stop minding while they do it
i know they give us money to redecorate but i'll need to cover my loss of earnings

some people say they've taken MONTHS to finish the work, i can't wait that long :panic:

Chatterbox Childcare
05-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Why do you need to stop working?

Get their details in your visitors book, do a risk assessment and go out whilst the work is on.

Hebs
05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Why do you need to stop working?

Get their details in your visitors book, do a risk assessment and go out whilst the work is on.

i don't think i'd want to leave workmen unsupervised in my house :panic:

Chatterbox Childcare
05-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Don't you have a separate room you and the mindees can go in? What about a kitchen table?

LOOPYLISA
05-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Hi my hubby is a heating engineer and fits heating systems, the average house is complete within 3 days give or take :thumbsup:

Mouse
05-04-2009, 08:22 PM
We had a new kitchen fitted last year & I managed to work through it. It took a week to do and it was a pain, but I couldn't have taken a week off.

It took a lot of organising to make sure we had everything we needed for the day, but we survived!

sue m
05-04-2009, 09:11 PM
I had my house underpinned and still minding. No risk assessments in those day though. I had the back door open all day in January and a 12' hole all around the house! Do you mean you don't want to leave them unsupervised while you do school runs etc? My hubby used to fit kitchens and was quite often on his own in the house or with his work partner. Never any allegations or any trouble. You can always try and ask them to do it in a certain time span but they can 'never promise anything'. I'd carry on if you can.

childmind04
06-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Hebs mine was done last year and i just went out for the day (got soaked mind but went to soft play), they wont cover loss of earnings as its to benefit you, it took them 1 and a half days to do heating, 1 day for windows and 1 day for bathroom, i had done my own kitchen but that usually takes 2 days, my big problem is i got 3 days notice of them starting the work!!!

Susan

singlewiththree
06-04-2009, 07:50 AM
i have someone coming out tomorrow to see what repair works i need done in my house :clapping:

it's part of the governments "better homes" thing

i know i'll be getting a new fire :clapping: and new central heating system

anyway

can i make them complete the work within a set time scale as i'm going to have to stop minding while they do it
i know they give us money to redecorate but i'll need to cover my loss of earnings

some people say they've taken MONTHS to finish the work, i can't wait that long :panic:

It took them 6 months to fit one radiator and a thermostat. However they NEVER leave you without heating and water but do get in the way so I had to keep the children in one room which was a nightmare. Sometimes they didn't turn up. It was worth it though I have lovely heating now :)

Hebs
06-04-2009, 07:57 AM
up here they have left families without heating but i guess the weather is warming up so i can live with that

and the 2 boys i was going to look after (J&N) it took 5 months to finish the work in their house

BUT

i'm like a kid at christmas, getting excited about new fires/kitchen/bathrooms :clapping: :laughing:

gosh i'm showing my age :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
06-04-2009, 09:11 AM
It took them 6 months to fit one radiator and a thermostat. However they NEVER leave you without heating and water but do get in the way so I had to keep the children in one room which was a nightmare. Sometimes they didn't turn up. It was worth it though I have lovely heating now :)

:eek: Blimy, my hubby would get the sack if he left anybodys house like that for 6mths !

Hebs
06-04-2009, 09:30 AM
i need -

new radiators
new combi boiler (i have the old back boiler)
new fire :clapping:
new toilet but not bath :rolleyes:
new double glazed windows

:clapping:

will take a week max :rolleyes:

LOOPYLISA
06-04-2009, 10:41 AM
i need -

new radiators
new combi boiler (i have the old back boiler)
new fire :clapping:
new toilet but not bath :rolleyes:
new double glazed windows

:clapping:

will take a week max :rolleyes:

Sounds more like it :thumbsup: