PDA

View Full Version : I have my pr reg visit on Weds am

carla
05-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Do they check how clean things are like fridge, overn micro etc?
Or is it more a health and safety check re stair gates etc?

misst104
05-04-2009, 01:25 PM
The inspector didn't look at my fridge, microwave etc. In fact the looking round the house bit only took about 2 minutes! The rest of the time was just sitting at the table answering questions!!

HTH xxx

Polka Dots
05-04-2009, 02:01 PM
My inspector didn't bother with the fridge or microwave. I pointed out that there is a child lock on the oven. She did check that I had the following;

fire guard
safety gates
safety glass
plug sockets covers
blind cords not dangling down
no cleaning products in toilet
suitable sleeping area
lock on cupboard in utility room
rear garden was contained
lock on gate
front door lock

HTH

jibberjitz
05-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Never looked in my fridge or microwave either! 3 hours of questioning though:eek: Good luck:thumbsup:

Bitsy Beans
06-04-2009, 06:08 PM
My inspector had a nose around the house. She asked me what I had done to safeguard children (didn't even mention plug socket covers) and I pointed out the things I'd done etc. She recommended I put a lock on the bathroom cabinet which is high out of reach but despite me saying children will not be allowed up there unattended an 8 year old might want to have a nose through :eek: <aside> if an 8 year old can't follow instructions not to touch things that don't belong to him then his parents need talking to - I mean I am hardly going to assume a kid is sitting on the toilet for long periods but is actually swallowing shed loads of toothpaste but I digress.

she didn't check fridge etc but I assume if you are providing food that comes under the remit of Environmental health?

Good luck :thumbsup:

sophiestars
06-04-2009, 10:05 PM
The inspector didn't look at my fridge, microwave etc. In fact the looking round the house bit only took about 2 minutes! The rest of the time was just sitting at the table answering questions!!

Same here - I had a lovely inspector who didn't even go out in the garden as the weather was bad!! She also said that all the safety items like cupboard locks etc are up to the individual and not compulsory - some people just swap the 'under sink stuff' with cereals in a high cupboard etc. She also said that they consider stair gates as unsafe over the age of 2 incase they try to cimb over - she mentioned this as my son was 2 and 2 months at the time and I had one on the bottom of the stairs.
She was very laid back and spent most of the time just asking me questions but even that wasn't too bad - much better than I was anticipating! I would love her to come back for my 1st inspection!!

Sophie x

angeldelight
07-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Good luck for Wednesday

Angel xx

carla
07-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks, what are u su supposed to do about knife and fork draw. Its the top draw, but do i have to get a lock for it?

misst104
07-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks, what are u su supposed to do about knife and fork draw. Its the top draw, but do i have to get a lock for it?

Hi Carla. I think it depends on whether the children will have unsupervised access to the kitchen. I'm going to put locks on mine just for peace of mind but inspector said its o.k not to if you will be with children at all times. They do all have different opinions though (as you can tell from reading some of the pre-reg posts on here). You are not expected to have all your safety equipment in place for the pre-reg and as long as you have risk assessed the drawer and let her know you are aware of the hazard it will be fine I'm sure.

xxx