PDA

View Full Version : Easter Activities, explaining Easter

Pauline
05-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Just wondered how you explain to the younger ones what Easter is about when doing Easter activities?

It can be a gruesome topic when you think about it, with Jesus nailed to the cross, so what are your thoughts?

huggableshelly
05-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm rather naughty and just do the fun side of easter with my younger mindees.

my after schoolies have been learning about the R.E. side and have talked about it here. i also have a children's bible that they all have access too but other than that I've not gone into it all as scared of getting facts wrong with me not following a religion.

Pudding Girl
05-04-2009, 10:41 AM
I was talking with 2.5yo mindee about this on Friday and kind of got stuck TBH!! I think I will leave the Jesus part of it to the family ( am not in the slightest religious and don't believe it myself anyway so feel rather hypocritical!) and concentrate on it being all about celebrating spring starting and new life, baby lambs etc. ANd chocolate :)

mandy moo
05-04-2009, 11:01 AM
This would havebeen my 1st easter with a mindee to do activities with :-( still lots more years to come I guess..
Unfortunaley Im the same as Shelly an George as I dont 'belive' either,
although my 2 boys have a good book in their room which gives a brief break down of quite a few diffrent religions as well as a childrens bible too.

Pauline
05-04-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't think it matters whether you believe or not. We did things for Diwali for instance and I tried to explain why it is celebrated by some people and what it is they believe.

Same with Easter, it is getting across why some people celebrate it and what it means to them and what it is about.

Part of diversity education is understanding that people have different beliefs and celebrate things that we don't.

It's not easy :)

christine e
05-04-2009, 01:10 PM
This might be useful
http://nottschildmindingassociation.webeden.co.uk/cgi-bin/download.cgi

Cx

deeb66
05-04-2009, 01:19 PM
This might be useful
http://nottschildmindingassociation.webeden.co.uk/cgi-bin/download.cgi

Cx

I can't get the link to work......is it me or everyone?

Dee
xx

christine e
05-04-2009, 01:20 PM

Dee
xx

Give me a few minutes and I will send as a word doc

Cx

Pauline
05-04-2009, 01:22 PM

Dee
xx

No won't work for me either. :)

christine e
05-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Hope this works

Cx

deeb66
05-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I have got it.

Very good - thanks very much Christine :thumbsup:

Dee
xxx

sue
05-04-2009, 09:08 PM
thank you some good ideas there we will do so next week:laughing:

Angela234
05-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the link

Have to admit i don't do the "real reason for easter" seems a bit hard for under 4s maybe if i had older ones.

We just do the fun parts

Angela

PixiePetal
05-04-2009, 11:29 PM
My 4yr old mindee,when I asked if he knew why we celebrate Easter, said 'is that when Jesus has his party?'!

He had listened at nursery and picked out the point that interested him or his interpretation of it anyway :)

angeldelight
06-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Hope this works

Cx

Thank you

Angel xx

miffy
06-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Thank you Christine :)

Miffy xx

angeldelight
06-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Some nice ideas here

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/teacher/easter.htm

Angel xx

huggableshelly
06-04-2009, 07:11 AM
I like the easter around the world information, that gives me an idea ... i wonder if my own kiddies and my one mindee can tell me how easter bunny delievers eggs all over the world and what kind of eggs children in other countires may have considering chocolate eggs would melt rather fast in hotter countries.

time to do some reading ty for the links.

huggableshelly
06-04-2009, 07:14 AM
oh we are making crosses aswell out of lollypop sticks aswell and decorating with sequiins as my own 2 have done R.E. in school so have enough knowledge to talk about the cross.

infact ... going to plan a visit tomorrow to the local church too so they can see the cross ... anaother activity they did in school but it wont hurt to repeat it in another church. will take clipboards too they can sit and draw what they see.

ooohhhhh i'm on a roll now monday and thinking wow it hurts!

hectors house
06-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks for some good ideas - I did have a quick look first thing this morning in our kids first bible stories and decided not to read the children (3 and 2 years) the stories but I'll have a look at the links and discuss with the parents.

FussyElmo
06-04-2009, 01:37 PM
oh we are making crosses aswell out of lollypop sticks aswell and decorating with sequiins as my own 2 have done R.E. in school so have enough knowledge to talk about the cross.

infact ... going to plan a visit tomorrow to the local church too so they can see the cross ... anaother activity they did in school but it wont hurt to repeat it in another church. will take clipboards too they can sit and draw what they see.

ooohhhhh i'm on a roll now monday and thinking wow it hurts!

Do check that your church is open I know my parish wouldnt be open in the day tomorrow just for mass in the evening.

I do alot of things around Easter both the fun and the religious I read the children the first bible stories and never had a complaint.