PDA

View Full Version : if my husband had my son would he be taken off my no's?

sammy
05-04-2009, 01:46 AM
im just trying to work this out as ive had an enquiry.

Say i have 3 under 5s, then another parent wanted me to have her little one for 2 hours to go to an interview, i was thinking of taking my son to spend those 2 hours with his daddy at work, he owns his own shop so no problem and could have him anytime.

As my husband is my assistant then my son wouldnt be my responsibility? so therefore i COULD have this other child for 2 hours as i would have 3 under 5's

I just want to be definate, but i think i am right that my son wouldnt count in my numbers as when i spoke to Ofsted they put hubby down as an assistant so i wouldnt have to phone for a variation to add another under 5 (only for short periods of time)

Can someone clarify this for me please x

brillminder
05-04-2009, 06:21 AM
as long as u are in ur registered numbers- thats ok

sarah707
05-04-2009, 09:37 AM
im just trying to work this out as ive had an enquiry.

Say i have 3 under 5s, then another parent wanted me to have her little one for 2 hours to go to an interview, i was thinking of taking my son to spend those 2 hours with his daddy at work, he owns his own shop so no problem and could have him anytime.

As my husband is my assistant then my son wouldnt be my responsibility? so therefore i COULD have this other child for 2 hours as i would have 3 under 5's

I just want to be definate, but i think i am right that my son wouldnt count in my numbers as when i spoke to Ofsted they put hubby down as an assistant so i wouldnt have to phone for a variation to add another under 5 (only for short periods of time)

Can someone clarify this for me please x

Sorry but it doesn't work like that as far as I know. My understanding is that if your child is not in full time, 10 sessions a week school then he is classed as your responsibility. What if, for example, hubby falls ill? Your child will then be at home... or if your child is ill... too many variables.

I suggest you ring Ofsted for clarification tomorrow... 08456 404040

Pauline
05-04-2009, 09:39 AM
What exactly does your certificate read as regards numbers with an assistant, Sammy?

The wording might help to work out if you can.

But like Sarah says, it is usually best to double check with Ofsted.

:)

Mouse
05-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Your child is counted as being in your numbers, whether or not they are with you (unless they are in fulltime education).

We have had a case of a CM having 2 of her own children under 3, so only having one place. She thought it was OK to send her children to her mum for the day, so that she could minded 3 under 3s. She was told she couldn't do that.

Pauline
05-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Your child is counted as being in your numbers, whether or not they are with you (unless they are in fulltime education).

We have had a case of a CM having 2 of her own children under 3, so only having one place. She thought it was OK to send her children to her mum for the day, so that she could minded 3 under 3s. She was told she couldn't do that.

That is so true. It is one reason why Ofsted changed the wording on the certificates, it used to say "can care for xx number of children, including your own" but people interpreted that as if theirs were not there then they could have more.

Sammy's case is slightly different because she should have two different lots of wording on her certificate because she uses her hubby as her assistant.

sammy
05-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Sorry but it doesn't work like that as far as I know. My understanding is that if your child is not in full time, 10 sessions a week school then he is classed as your responsibility. What if, for example, hubby falls ill? Your child will then be at home... or if your child is ill... too many variables.

I suggest you ring Ofsted for clarification tomorrow... 08456 404040

It would only be for 2 hours here or there whilst the parent trys to find a job, so if my partner was ill i would have to say to the lady she would have to re-arrange her interview appointments if she wanted me to care for her child. There will not be any "what ifs" in this situation, and for the whole 9 years of living with my husband he has never been ill-lol.

Anyway he is down as my assistant, and when i spoke to Ofsted originally for a variation to care for 4 under 5s, she said why dont i add my husband down as an assistant that way i dont need to request a variation for short periods of time. I was originally asking for a variation that would only be caring for the "extra" child for 2 hours, so i took this as being a short period of time.

So i think that if i had an extra child for a short period of time then as my husband is my assistant then this would be ok, and he would only have his son and not a minded child anyway. iyswim

On my certificate it has lots of stuff on. I am able to have 2 more children in the early years group for 5 different children (i have 2 of my own in early age group) so this extends to 4 under 5 years

I may leave an assistant along with children for short periods of time providing the arrangements are agreed and confirmed in writing by parents and the requierments of eyfs are met.

May care for 3 children under 8 at any one time, no more than 1 in early years age group , and not more than 1 be under 1year (i have 3 children of my own, a 2, 4 and 7 year old - soon to be 8)

Maybe i should ring Oftsed to double check.

aly
05-04-2009, 10:55 AM
i thought even though you had them down as an assistant it didnt increase your numbers??

what do i know though lol:laughing:

Pauline
05-04-2009, 12:58 PM
i thought even though you had them down as an assistant it didnt increase your numbers??

what do i know though lol:laughing:

It only increases your numbers if Ofsted it's ok! :)

Sammy, it sounds to me like you would be ok. But with the current changes with EYFS I'm reluctant to say a define 'go for it', Ofsted keep moving the goalposts!:rolleyes:

Chatterbox Childcare
05-04-2009, 03:40 PM
If your hubby is your assistant and approved by ofsted then ask for a variation to have 4 when you hubby is around and problem solved

sammy
05-04-2009, 04:00 PM
If your hubby is your assistant and approved by ofsted then ask for a variation to have 4 when you hubby is around and problem solved

im sure thats what they said in the first instance but my certificate isnt so specific.

Oh well shall ring them, thanks for your replies