PDA

View Full Version : Fluid intake

Banana
06-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I have a real problem getting Belle to drink juice/water during the day.

If I fill a juice cup for her at say 8am - it will still be half full come bedtme. She's perfectly healthy - will drink milk in the morning and at bedtime but throughout the day she will rarely drink much at all. Now and again she will have a thirsty day and will go through 3/4 refils a day, but I'd say thats maybe once a week.

Does anyone else have this trouble? Its just that all my mindees drink loads, im constantly refillig thier cups - just not Belle's

Any advice or am i worrying over nothing

x

deeb66
06-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't worry too much

Some children/people are like this and then there are others who drink like a fish!!!

I think you are doing the most important thing and that is making sure that a drink is available at all times.

The only thing I may suggest is that you refresh the water every so often...I am saying this as a person who loves water and drinks gallons of it during the day but dislike it when it has that 'old' taste to it.

Lou
06-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Its natural to worry but i would say as long as you are offering it to her and making it readily accesable (sp?) then if she is thirsty she will drink it.

Dont worry, i expect you are the same, sometimes thirsty and sometimes not?

My ds hardly drinks anything not sure why he has always been that way!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

avril
06-02-2008, 08:34 PM
My eldest child when little wouldn't drink but he would eat fruit grapes, apples, pears that have juice hence liquid in them which was fine according to my health visitor.

Avril :laughing:

sarah707
06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
I have a 2 year old who hardly drinks and his mum has told me not to worry, he's always been like that... of course I do worry! I think I will be worse in the summer when it's hot.

There is nothing you can do though if they simply refuse! Except worry I suppose... :rolleyes:

Banana
06-02-2008, 08:37 PM
I thought that too Dee, so I do sometimes change the juice and give her just water or apple and blacurrant instead of orange - it doesnt seem to make any difference.

Im not too worried, just want to check that shes not abnormal :D

xx

ajs
06-02-2008, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't worry too much

Some children/people are like this and then there are others who drink like a fish!!!

I think you are doing the most important thing and that is making sure that a drink is available at all times.

The only thing I may suggest is that you refresh the water every so often...I am saying this as a person who loves water and drinks gallons of it during the day but dislike it when it has that 'old' taste to it.

i would refresh it too she may prefer it cold

i have one daughter who must drink at least 2 litres a day and another who drinks maybe a glass a day as long as she is healthy don't worry too much

katickles
06-02-2008, 08:45 PM
My daughter (11mths) will only take a drink (juice or water) if its warmed for her first, she won't take anything cold. She loves her milk but again won't touch it if its not warmed up!

I spoke to her Health Visitor about it as i was worried that she wouldn't be getting enough fluids if she wouldn't take it cold (if we're out for the day) & she just advised that as long as i offer it if she was wanting a drink she would take it if not not to push the issue as this would make things worse.

:)

Tily Bud
06-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Im sure she would drink if she was really thirsty xx try not to worry - easier said than done lol :)

mamapink
06-02-2008, 09:23 PM
hi
when my younger dd was little she drank fine until she was ill then she refused in the end i poked a straw through the top of her sippy cup and taught her to blow bubbles ok i regreted it after wards when she forever blew bubbles but she then did start to drink also if you give her a sports bottle it might tempt her
but then as others have said she no doubt gets her fluid intake through a number of means food etc when you look how tiny their bellies actually are it takes only a small amount to fill them up

bye
pink:o
xx

Rubybubbles
06-02-2008, 10:47 PM
My daughter (11mths) will only take a drink (juice or water) if its warmed for her first, she won't take anything cold. She loves her milk but again won't touch it if its not warmed up!

I spoke to her Health Visitor about it as i was worried that she wouldn't be getting enough fluids if she wouldn't take it cold (if we're out for the day) & she just advised that as long as i offer it if she was wanting a drink she would take it if not not to push the issue as this would make things worse.

:)

I used to do this for my two, I recommend it to anyone!! I've tried it on mindies too, now baby will drink water:clapping: :clapping: , I think as long as they are having fequent wet nappies it's okay as they do get fluids in their food (as someone had already said)

angeldelight
06-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I would not worry either

My daughter was the same and she is 23 this year and can still go all day with out a drink - It just does not seem normal to me but she is ok

She will drink if she wants it Lana so do not worry

Angel xx