PDA

View Full Version : School Run

John
03-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Why don't schools work with childminders? what i'm moaning about is a new child is moving to a new school so the child as a new finnishing time, the same time as one of the other children 10mins away. so i sent a letter to the school of the child i'll be 10mins late picking up. Got a phone call today off the school saying where not childminders and you will have to pick up the child at finishing time, i know theiir is Insurance issues for children staying over the time, but not letting the child wait in the receiption area. And the school do run after school clubs and home work club so the school must be coverd?

As anyone had this problem?

John.

rickysmiths
03-04-2009, 09:24 PM
I haven't but I know our school keep children by the office for the after school club down the road to collect, they can't collect from all the 4 local schools at the same time.

I may have a problem in Sept. though. I was going to approach them on the 'Continuity of Care' and the 'Wrap around Care' aspects to see if they could keep 2-3 on two days for 10mins.

sarah707
03-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm going to have this problem in September as well.

I hope my school are more helpful than yours sound John.

Maybe if the parent approaches them they might sort something out?? What are they going to do, throw the child on the street in the rain? :panic:

Twinkles
03-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I pick up from two schools that finish at the same time, in theory ony 5 mins away from each other.
The first one is invariably late out so I'm usually at least 15 mins late when you take into consideration the time it takes to get children in and out of cars.

The second school are usually pretty good and the office staff are very helpful but one in particular was quite unhappy about it and quizzed me as to why I couldn't pick up from there first.
It helps that I have a good relationship with the school.
Could you pick up from the new school first ? As you already know the first school they may be more willing to put themselves out for you.

Mollymop
03-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I had a problem last summer with a child who would need to be either late to school or early and wait on reception. Well the school said she could be early and wait on reception at the start of the day but only until the summer holidays (about 6 weeks in total)

I can kind of understand why schools don't agree to this.

If one child is allowed to stay behind after school everyday because there is no one to care for them then other parents/childminders will want the same treatment and then there could be lots of children staying after school for 10 - 20 minutes when the school should be closed.

I know it's frustrating but I can see the school's point of view, after all it is not their problem. Sorry xxx

Deb
03-04-2009, 09:43 PM
If they hold them for Afterschool Clubs then they should apply the same rationale and hold them for childminders. BUT then on the otherhand, should we be taking on work we cant do?

John
03-04-2009, 10:06 PM
I pick up from two schools that finish at the same time, in theory ony 5 mins away from each other.
The first one is invariably late out so I'm usually at least 15 mins late when you take into consideration the time it takes to get children in and out of cars.

The second school are usually pretty good and the office staff are very helpful but one in particular was quite unhappy about it and quizzed me as to why I couldn't pick up from there first.
It helps that I have a good relationship with the school.
Could you pick up from the new school first ? As you already know the first school they may be more willing to put themselves out for you.

No as i had no contact with them as from the start 2 1/2 years the child as came to me by taxi. But why it works out after the easter holiday i'll have to pick him up too.

Pipsqueak
03-04-2009, 10:11 PM
If they hold them for Afterschool Clubs then they should apply the same rationale and hold them for childminders. BUT then on the otherhand, should we be taking on work we cant do?

You have said it yourself though Deb, schools hold on to the kids for after school clubs and pickups so why not for us. After all we are all supposed to be working together for the benefit of the children.

I don't think its taking on work that we can't do - with a little inter-provision co operation and understanding these things are possible.

John could you get the parents to have a word with the school?

Great to see you about more - are there no fish left or have you realised we are way better than fishing lol:D

John
03-04-2009, 10:14 PM

So if a child moves to a new school we should say to the parents i can't look after your child now? that's will not fit in to every child matters? it's like decrementing at child as the child is in my childminding area code. A childminder in my town got graded down for this last year (not picking up a child in her area code.

John.

John
03-04-2009, 10:15 PM
How many courses have we been on saying all setting should work for the child and the parent. So who is wrong?

You have said it yourself though Deb, schools hold on to the kids for after school clubs and pickups so why not for us. After all we are all supposed to be working together for the benefit of the children.

I don't think its taking on work that we can't do - with a little inter-provision co operation and understanding these things are possible.

John could you get the parents to have a word with the school?

Great to see you about more - are there no fish left or have you realised we are way better than fishing lol:D

Mollymop
03-04-2009, 10:19 PM
So if a child moves to a new school we should say to the parents i can't look after your child now? that's will not fit in to every child matters? it's like decrementing at child as the child is in my childminding area code. A childminder in my town got graded down for this last year (not picking up a child in her area code.

John.

I am sorry hun, but my catchment area has 2 school and they both finish at the same sort of time - it takes a good 10 mins to walk from one to the other so there would be no way I could work both schools (did once, but school wouldn't let me do it forever)

How dare a childminder get graded down for something she didn't want to or couldn't do? I don;t understand it.

I may be in the same catchment area but we have childminders that work different schools. None of us could be at 2 different schools at the same time

I hope you manage to get it sorted out though. i can imagine it is very frustrating for you

kellywestie
04-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Why don't schools work with childminders? what i'm moaning about is a new child is moving to a new school so the child as a new finnishing time, the same time as one of the other children 10mins away. so i sent a letter to the school of the child i'll be 10mins late picking up. Got a phone call today off the school saying where not childminders and you will have to pick up the child at finishing time, i know theiir is Insurance issues for children staying over the time, but not letting the child wait in the receiption area. And the school do run after school clubs and home work club so the school must be coverd?

As anyone had this problem?

John.

Hi John,

You say in your post that the school run an after-school club. Would it not be possible for your mindee to go there for the ten minutes? It may mean you, or the parents, having to pay for half an hour/one hour each day but you and the parent would know the child is safe and it would take the pressure off.

I work as a school administrator as well as as a childminder and often take calls from parents asking for their child to go to after-school club if they are going to be late.

tinkerbelle
04-04-2009, 06:16 PM

they should but the school i collect from doesnt the after school club is allowed into school 10 minutes early to collect each child from the classroom i have to wait outside and collect 3 children from 3 different classes all from different sides of the building and they all come out at the same time i get moaned at for not fetching them on time but its impossible :angry:

John
04-04-2009, 10:26 PM
We childminders should send a patistion up and send it to the are local school board. As i think all child providers should work for the child's needs and parents.

John:)