PDA

View Full Version : Doing the washing up

John
02-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Does anyone here have the older children wash up their meal items, plates, forks, spoons etc. as long the children are not in danger with breakable items. The parent's always say to me good on you letting my child tidy up after themsevles. Just woundering anyone else does this.

John.

ajs
02-04-2009, 11:18 PM
not yet i don't but it's a good idea thanks John
i do have a dishwasher so they do have to stack their dishes and throw away rubbish before they can leave the table though

Pedagog
03-04-2009, 05:55 AM
I will do, my own children have always helped.

angeldelight
03-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Yes they do and they like to help

Even the toddlers stand on a chair at my side and help

They all love it

We only use plastic plates, spoons, cups, knives, forks and spoons so no dangers anyway

Just supervision

Angel xx

buildingblocks
03-04-2009, 06:26 AM
We have a dishwasher but they do help to set the table, take thing sthrough and take stuff into the kitchen afterwards

huggableshelly
03-04-2009, 06:38 AM
my eldest fills up the water bottles each day.
my 8 year olds tidy up after snack by putting the fruit plat into the dishwasher, wiping the work surface down and sweeping the floor but now the better weather is here they rush to play outside so their help will most likely fizzle out real soon.

breezy
03-04-2009, 07:14 AM
We do this, they love the bubbles, but all my stuff is plastic for the kids!

Bananabrain
03-04-2009, 12:36 PM
my eldest fills up the water bottles each day.
my 8 year olds tidy up after snack by putting the fruit plat into the dishwasher, wiping the work surface down and sweeping the floor but now the better weather is here they rush to play outside so their help will most likely fizzle out real soon.

Huggable,you are a genious.

WATER BOTTLES! why didn't I think of that.

In the hols,I sometimes feel like I'm running a cafe! water bottles! can't believe it! How obvious.

I'm going to buy some immediately:laughing:

sarah707
03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I've just bought a water dispenser for outside! I sit it on a plastic table on the patio so nothing will damage and put a pile of plastic cups next to it (different colours so they can each have their own).

To answer your question John, yes they all pitch in here as well. Little ones clear the table or carry things in, bigger ones help with the washing up / drying / putting away etc :D

charleyfarley
03-04-2009, 01:09 PM
None of mine wash up yet as they are too young but they all do take their plates out, even the 19 month old. We only use plastic too.

Just got Mitchell mashing his own potato, he thinks it's great, it's amazing how much he eats of it now he's doing it himself

Carol xx

mandy moo
03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
]None of mine wash up yet as they are too young but they all do take their plates out, even the 19 month old. We only use plastic too.[/COLOR]

Just got Mitchell mashing his own potato, he thinks it's great, it's amazing how much he eats of it now he's doing it himself

Carol xx

Mine too, the youngest mindee (also 19mths) copies my 2 boys and puts his plate and cup in kitchen and rubbish in the bin, aaah sweetie,
Oh and he puts his toys away:clapping:

Pauline
03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I think that's brilliant John - proper home from home care, learning important life skills. That is what childminding is all about to me. :thumbsup:

Allie
03-04-2009, 04:12 PM
I have a dish washer but get them involved in all the tidying up and setting the table etc

Where did you get the water dispenser?

Allie

mandy moo
03-04-2009, 05:55 PM
I've just bought a water dispenser for outside! I sit it on a plastic table on the patio so nothing will damage and put a pile of plastic cups next to it (different colours so they can each have their own).

To answer your question John, yes they all pitch in here as well. Little ones clear the table or carry things in, bigger ones help with the washing up / drying / putting away etc :D

Thats a good idea Sarah, where did you get it from?

emler
03-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I get the kids to help with the washing up too. It's all safe because we use plastic as well. My dd's nursery get the kids to wash up their cups & plates after their snacks - it was them who gave me the idea in the first place.

John
03-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I thought i might be the only one geting the children to wash up after themsevles, but i guest not:) other the Easter holidays i have the new two children full time so i have told them, you will be helping me to do the washing up:) a little moan but said OK lol.

John

Deb
03-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Ugh, I would hate to use plastic plates and cutlery:(

Mine all pitch in, one girl even likes to vacuum; I tell her mum she can come everyday for free!

theoldwoman
03-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi Sarah,
where did you get the water dispenser, I have been looking for one for ages for Cubs, would it be big and robust enough?
thanks,
Sue

Mollymop
03-04-2009, 09:58 PM
i don't let the children wash up yet. Even my 10 year odl finds it hard to reach the bottom of my sink.

It is good at teaching life skills but I think it would be ideal for a child who is over a certain age, say 8 to help wash up

All children here help to set the table and to pack away and tak ethe condiments out, etc, as you would expect, but I have a problem wiht letting them do the actually washing up properly. I mean it is fine if they are much older or the little ones can wash the play toys in a bowl in the garden - we have done this many times.
But when I was 12 I had 3 stiches in my hand due to washing a glass that broke as I was cleaning it and it was very unpleasant. I woudl be too scared of this happening to someone elses child. It is not just glasses either. ihave had bowels and the odd plate break while in the sink.

It is a good idea though, as long as it is nothing too breakable ( cos I would be scared, I am a wimp:cool: :littleangel: )

hectors house
04-04-2009, 06:38 PM
I sometimes let the mindees do the washing and drying up after we have been cooking - I bring the washing up bowl to the table where they are sitting on their booster seats - but only the non breakable stuff like plastic mixing bowl, top of scales, wooden spoons etc -

what a good idea to get them to help wash up their own lunch things - it takes ages to wash 3 x plastic bibs, beakers, plates, bowls and cutlery - I'll give it a go this week.