PDA

View Full Version : 1st enquiry coming for a visit

cornetjo
02-04-2009, 09:10 PM
I have had an enquiry about looking after a 1 year old little girl. They are coming to visit soon. However, I am not sure if I should offer them something to look at. I have all my policies and procedures but perhaps this is a bit too over the top to offer at an enquiry. Should I offer a welcome pack? And what sort of things should I put in it? I am getting a bit apprehensive now as I want everything to go ok.

Annie_T
02-04-2009, 10:25 PM
have your folder to show them if they wish .... i had visit today and they didnt even look at my folder just asked questions spoke to me etc etc

angeldelight
03-04-2009, 06:40 AM
I would def show your folder

Then play with baby and ask them lots of questions let them lead you if you are unsure
All parents like chatting about their children

Good luck I am sure you will be fine

Angel xx

huggableshelly
03-04-2009, 06:55 AM
dont send them home with a welcome pack until contracts are signed though

good luck with the enquiry xxx

jibberjitz
05-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Good luck :thumbsup:

Mouse
05-04-2009, 08:06 PM
When I see parents for the first time I give them my 'About Me' folder to look at while I go & make them a drink. I'll then play with the child to give them time to look.

The folder's got a bit about me, a bit about my family, an example of our daily routine, a sample menu, a copy of my Ofsted report, a list of policies/procedures that I have (not the actual policies), a list of permissions I will ask for and details about Ofsted. There's more stuff in there as well, but I can't think what off the top of my head. I also show them my photo folder. I don't show them my policies folder at this point. It's too much to expect them to read it all, but I explain that I will give them copies of all the policies if/when their child starts with me.

Showing them the folder gives a good starting point for talking about what I do. I ask them if they've got any questions they want to ask and things usually just flow from there.

Good luck!

peggy
05-04-2009, 08:29 PM
I have had an enquiry about looking after a 1 year old little girl. They are coming to visit soon. However, I am not sure if I should offer them something to look at. I have all my policies and procedures but perhaps this is a bit too over the top to offer at an enquiry. Should I offer a welcome pack? And what sort of things should I put in it? I am getting a bit apprehensive now as I want everything to go ok.

Congratulations!

As this is your very first visit I would do them something they can take away in this you can briefly sumarise your policies, what you will provide and what the parent is to provide (eg. milk, meals, wipes, nappies, change of clothes etc...) What time you open and close, your fees can also be included in your information pack. Parents arent overly bothered about all the policies, I just simply let them know they are there and if they want to see a full copy of them then its available.

Do an example timetable of what you intend to do, toddler group visits, activities :- one year olds can do finger painting, gloop (cornflower and water) bricks,shakers, sorting cubes etc. Include during your week Trip to Park, Story time at the Library, song time, trip to local shops and include any school runs you have with your own children and a nap time. Explain to the mum that it is an example time table and can be adjusted according to the childs needs.

If you are going to supply meals, do an example menu too, of breakfast, lunch and dinner.

When she arrives, show her the toys you have for her childs age group, where the baby will be taking her naps, show her your garden if you have one.

Ask her lots about her child, does she have a comforter, when does the baby like a nap, what milk they are on progress or dairy, ask her what the baby likes (in the night garden etc...)

Talk about your family, show her your crb checks and public liability insurance and ofsted certificate.

I would be honest and say you have just started minding, but with all the stuff you have she will see that you have carefully thought out what you are hoping to do are well organised. Talk about what will happen if an emergency happens, who are your back-up people? If you have experience in looking after other peoples children in the past, definately mention it.

If you havent already, a portfollio is a good thing to show you to can put your info pack in there along with all your policies, certificates etc and as your business grows you can add some photographs. Have a copy of your info pack to take away for her.

I am sure you will be fine!!! Good Luck hope i've been of some help x x x

Bitsy Beans
06-04-2009, 04:47 PM
I've done a new client printout-thingy that has a bit about myself and my family and a rough outline of the policies in my setting and what is required of the parents etc. It gives them something to take home and read rather than my forest-worth of paper that is my policies :laughing:

Buzz Lightyear
06-04-2009, 06:59 PM
How did it go???? :thumbsup: